NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

In the last few days:

Dodgers make offer to Manny, refused, say they are moving on

Dunn gets offer from Nats-sitting on it

Mets say they arent after Manny or Abreu

Sox make offer to Abreu

And a quick note for me: Abreu's OBP in front of Q may be more valuable than Dye's production behind him.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
There's more lefties in MLB than in the general population. RF gets the least action in little league. Going 1st to third on a single's not much of an issue, when you can usually go 1st to home on anything that reaches the outfield.

Just wanted you to rest assured that you did, in fact suck. :gosox4:

If we're going to spend 8 mil on a player for 1 year, I'd much rather it be Ben Sheets.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
Signing Abreu to a one-year deal to replace Dye who is already under contract for this year doesn't make much sense to me. Why would the Angels want to pay Dye's salary in a Figgins deal when they could simply sign Abreu for less?

I don't see this happening. If Kenny does end up signing Abreu, it'll be for more than one season... and he'll be eating some of Dye's contract in a trade.

Because they need power, and we need OBP and a 2 hole hitter.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
I don't think Figgins is in the picture at all. If you have Quentin and Abreu in the corners, you can't have Figgins in CF. Owens is already suspect out there. Figgins is not a good CF. Also Figgins won't be going to 3B unless they trade Fields, and I think they really like Fields and want him to play a full season in Chicago before giving up on him.

Agreed with your logic, but that hasn't kept Swisher, Griffey, Erstad, and Mackowiak out of CF in recent years. My guess is that Figgins would probably end up playing 3B, but history suggests that Ozzie would make room for him in CF if Fields had a good ST.

Any team that is willing to take on Dye's contract won't be willing to give up too much talent. Basically you're trading for salary flexibility and minor league talent while giving up very good but older ML talent. After the 2009 season is over and Thome's contract is off the books the 2010 White Sox will look a whole lot different than they do now.

I suspect at this point the Sox would do just about anything to rid themselves of Dye's salary if they knew they could get Abreu for a cheaper 1 yr. deal. There's no way the Sox would put themselves in the position of trying to deal Dye after getting Abreu. Dye must go 1st.

Anyone remember when KW said at Soxfest that he was evisioning a "non-traditional" lead off hitter. Ozzie then comes out and says he wants someone who gets on base at the top of the order.... Just sayin.

And I heard that this may be a done deal though that could be posturing.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
Agreed with your logic, but that hasn't kept Swisher, Griffey, Erstad, and Mackowiak out of CF in recent years. My guess is that Figgins would probably end up playing 3B, but history suggests that Ozzie would make room for him in CF if Fields had a good ST.

Or they're going to bring in all reputed sinkerball pitchers and hope/pray that Ramirez, Lillibridge (I picked him because he has more upside defensively at 2B than Getz, but Beckham has to fit in somewhere, too) and Viciedo/Fields can keep any ball from getting to the outfield.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
Anyone remember when KW said at Soxfest that he was evisioning a "non-traditional" lead off hitter. Ozzie then comes out and says he wants someone who gets on base at the top of the order.... Just sayin.

"dunn deal" or with regards to Abreu?

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Because they need power, and we need OBP and a 2 hole hitter.

What we need is a leadoff hitter with speed. Figgins makes a lot more sense than another corner outfielder in his mid-30's who can't play defense.

If Kenny can sign Abreu and trade Dye for Figgins, I'd be in favor of it. But I don't see why the Angels would think that Dye's extra 10 HRs per season would be worth the extra $5 million or so in comparison to Abreu. I think that Kenny would have to eat some of Dye's contract for that to happen.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
What we need is a leadoff hitter with speed. Figgins makes a lot more sense than another corner outfielder in his mid-30's who can't play defense.

If Kenny can sign Abreu and trade Dye for Figgins, I'd be in favor of it. But I don't see why the Angels would think that Dye's extra 10 HRs per season would be worth the extra $5 million or so in price. I think that Kenny would have to eat some of Dye's contract for that to happen.

We have a 3/4/5/6 in our lineup with immense power. Speed is extremely overrated.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-sox-agree.html

Rosenblog thoughts...a few things not mentioned yet on this thread about the Abreu situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...;name=Neyer_Rob

Another recent article debating the merit/worth of an Abreu acquistion for any team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
We have a 3/4/5/6 in our lineup with immense power.

Don't we already have that in Thome/Konerko/Dye/Quentin?

Speed is extremely overrated.

Wrong

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)

You just said you didn't think there would be any kind of shakeup. Now you're saying it could be a done deal? Color me confused. (Abreu added despite anything else happening would be a pretty big shakeup of some kind)

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
You just said you didn't think there would be any kind of shakeup. Now you're saying its a done deal? Color me confused. (Abreu added despite anything else happening would be a pretty big shakeup of some kind)

My Opinion vs what I heard.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
That sounds about right. IIRC the Reds supposedly had $7-8 million they were saving to acquire a bat. Abreu probably doesn't want to play there, he can play for the same money with the Sox and Dye goes to Cincinatti with cash for prospects and/ or the train wreck named Homer Bailey. The White Sox payroll remains the same, and in essence they trade Dye for Abreu and prospects. That's if this all is true. Levine said nothing is immenent, which probably means a press conference is about to be scheduled.

That sounds possible.

Another scenario, and it's admittedly a longshot IMO, is Alex Gonzalez coming here. I thought that when we picked up Lilli it might be a precursor to a Dye deal because the Reds need a SS who doesn't suck. Gonzalez makes $5.375M with a $500K buyout. If the Sox did something like Dye + Lillibridge ($11.8M) for Alex Gonzalez, Homer Bailey, $1M cash, and about 2 good prospects then the salary would work (about $4.8M). The Reds would add $7M while the Sox would clear $7M.

It seems like the Sox really like Lilli though and it seems like Bailey is just enough alone to get Dye, so those prospects would have to be really good, and I don't know what the Reds would be able to offer. Dickerson certainly doesn't fit that description.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
All speed does in front of a bunch of power hitters is equate to fewer base runners after they get caught stealing.

Or more runs scored due to their ability to score on an extra base hit before a hitter who is prone to hitting into double plays or striking out comes to the plate.