NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
You're missing the point. The idea wouldn't be to use the guy as a starter.

Gonzalez is the only contract they have that they've added prior to Jocketty taking over that would fit as far as making salaries work. The Reds have said that they don't have the money to take on a contract the size of Dye's. That means something has to happen to offset that salary if a deal is to be done.

Obviously Lilli is better. We have Beckham who I believe Ozzie just said will likely have to switch positions. He'll be at 2B with Alexei at SS, then there's Dayan and Fields for third. Lilli might be available in the right deal, same with Getz, if the Sox are a lot higher on the other guys.

The point is, it's like an NBA salary cap thing. You take one garbage player on an expiring contract and then add him to a bunch of very good players and then you deal for a star when you get the salaries to come out the right way. Dealing Gonzalez would represent a savings for the Reds only, not something good for the Sox. In return the Sox would then want enough in the prospect department to make taking on the contract worth it and to also offset the value of Lillibridge's talents. Again, just an idea that is probably a longshot, but the Reds don't have a SS and Lilli could be a guy they'd target in a deal with us anyway.

If we didn't have Betemit, maybe.

But the fact is, Uribe, in this market, isn't even worth a major league contract or anything over $1 million. We'd be adding a negligible player on to our payroll in these tough economic times that wouldn't be too far off from Nick Swisher's contract numbers.

There's got to be a better fit from larger market club that doesn't have the same salary concerns. The Dodgers just had $25 million for one year to Manny Ramirez turned down, if they don't bring in Dunn and Hudson, that might be a perfect fit, as JD's a native Californian and they have $30 million in available payroll space right now.

I just can't think of a time we took a garbage player/extra contract on in a deal...MAYBE Vizcaino coming with Pods, but that's as close as you get in KW's regime. And I think Vizcaino was still more valuable in that 2005 bullpen then he was given credit for.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Well, Abreu does indeed solve the #2 hitter issue.

If we do sign him, I am 95% sure that one of Dye or Konerko (probably Dye) is getting traded very soon.

I understand that the market has changed for OF's quite a bit, but with Manny refusing to sign for anything anyone is going to offer, signing Abreu and moving Dye for a young pitcher has made sense for this team as constructed since it was first proposed. Even if we have to chip in a couple million.

Another advantage of a move like this...let's say Abreu's on a 1 year, $8 million deal. Unless he gets hurt, you'd be happy to offer him arbitration next offseason, because if he accepted, you have him back for 1 more cheap year. If he's remotely healthy, you can therefore turn him in to a pair of additional draft picks. Which means you'd be taking JD, who might walk as a FA next season if we don't pick up his option and turning him in to a young pitcher and 2 additional draft picks. Long term, that's a hell of a move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
I understand that the market has changed for OF's quite a bit, but with Manny refusing to sign for anything anyone is going to offer, signing Abreu and moving Dye for a young pitcher has made sense for this team as constructed since it was first proposed. Even if we have to chip in a couple million.

Another advantage of a move like this...let's say Abreu's on a 1 year, $8 million deal. Unless he gets hurt, you'd be happy to offer him arbitration next offseason, because if he accepted, you have him back for 1 more cheap year. If he's remotely healthy, you can therefore turn him in to a pair of additional draft picks. Which means you'd be taking JD, who might walk as a FA next season if we don't pick up his option and turning him in to a young pitcher and 2 additional draft picks. Long term, that's a hell of a move.

I think Kenny is starting to see the benefit of the addional draft picks due to a FA leaving. Even though OC probably wont give us an additional pick, its not a bad philosophy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I think Kenny is starting to see the benefit of the addional draft picks due to a FA leaving. Even though OC probably wont give us an additional pick, its not a bad philosophy.

I still think OC will sign with someone for cheap. Hard to believe he won't.

That $8 million baseline is very appealing. The Yankees would have had to pay him a minimum of $12.8 million this year, but there would have been no guarantees of winning had they gone to arbitration...the risk is much, much less offering to Abreu (assuming he doesn't get injured or fall off the map) than it was to Cabrera. Cabrera was all about pride, ego, the showdown with KW/OG against his Cabrera's best business interests.

The last MLB TR story about him had the A's picking him up after the June player draft (nixing the comp. to the SOX) for around $2-3 million, then him heading into the offseason as a Type B or C Free Agent and much more attractive to other clubs. Right now, it's killing Juan Cruz, too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
I honestly dont even care if they steal bases. I just see the scenario of a hitter getting on base in front of Q. Q singles and the runner is only at 2nd base, and all of a sudden you have eliminated a sac fly op for Thome or Konerko who both have the ability to hit fly balls on demand. Instead you get a K and a ground out. I just HATE the station to station bulls*** and the lack of being able to take the extra base when needed. You can look at a small sample size of the 05 team in the World Series and the ALCS and you can see us constantly looking to take the extra base, even though we hit a ton of homers, we scored several times just being able to get to second on a throw or go from first to third with one out.

Agreed that stealing bases isn't really a necessity, and that getting to that extra base on a hit is probably the greatest benefit. However, the THREAT of stealing a base is also a bonus, taking the focus of the opposing pitcher off of the hitter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Well, Abreu does indeed solve the #2 hitter issue.

If we do sign him, I am 95% sure that one of Dye or Konerko (probably Dye) is getting traded very soon.

It would almost certainly be Dye. His recent health/productivity issues and price tag would be major obstacles.

I don't understand why Abreu is considered a perfect #2 hitter. He's a guy who takes a lot of pitches, yes, but if the White Sox don't have a protypical leadoff man who steals bases, so what? He also strikes out a lot. Why put a guy who hits 20 homers with a .300 avg, drives in 100 and gets on base at a .400 clip in a position where he undoubtedly would have to give himself up a lot? Maybe he could leadoff.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I don't understand why Abreu is considered a perfect #2 hitter. He's a guy who takes a lot of pitches, yes, but if the White Sox don't have a protypical leadoff man who steals bases, so what? He also strikes out a lot. Why put a guy who hits 20 homers with a .300 avg, drives in 100 and gets on base at a .400 clip in a position where he undoubtedly would have to give himself up a lot? Maybe he could leadoff.

Interesting. Have him lead off, and have Getz/Lillibridge behind him. That would protect the rookie combo too, with Abreu and TCQ on either side, allowing the rookies to get more good pitches to hit. Abreu is high OBP, and does have some speed.

I think you maximize the ballclub's hitting talent more with Abreu in #2 than AJP, but thats me.

EDIT: but oh yea Abreu leading off. very open to that. under those circumstances then you can think BA's cf and making up for some of Abreu's defensive deficiencies.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
You cannot bat Alexei Ramirez 9th. Sorry, just not happening.

Why exactly?

He hit .379 .408 .537 in the 9th spot last season in 30 games. He spent most of the season in the 7,8.9 spot if you remember with his best results coming in the 9 hole and second best out of the 8th spot. His OPS in the 9th spot was .945 which compares to the 8th: .882 7th: .697 He gets the benefit of having people on base in front of him and also adding some speed to the lineup as it turns over. He is a power/speed/RBI threat at the bottom of the order which is perfect IMO.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Why exactly?

He hit .379 .408 .537 in the 9th spot last season in 30 games. He spent most of the season in the 7,8.9 spot if you remember with his best results coming in the 9 hole and second best out of the 8th spot. His OPS in the 9th spot was .945 which compares to the 8th: .882 7th: .697

But what about our other options for say 7th hitter? Do we use Alexei where he's best or where the team's best?

Man i cant keep this thing on Abreu myself. 'Slike a virus.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I personally think Abreu could hit 3 and Q 4.

1. Someone

2. Getz

3. Abreu

4. Q

5 Thome

6. Konerko

7. AJP

8 Fields

9 Alexei-this is where he has performed the best

2.Getz

3.Abreu

-Ozzie would have to break up the leftys. If Owens leads off, that would be 3 in a row. He'd NEVER DO THAT. That's why Lilibridge has such an advantage as a lead off hitter. He's RH.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I personally think Abreu could hit 3 and Q 4.

1. Someone

2. Getz

3. Abreu

4. Q

5 Thome

6. Konerko

7. AJP

8 Fields

9 Alexei-this is where he has performed the best

Alexei in the #2 spot = ~750 PA

Alexei in the #6 spot = ~680 PA

Alexei in the #9 spot = ~620 PA

Is it really worth limiting his PAs like this because he got hot for 100 PA in the 9th spot last season?

I'd welcome Abreu for 8 million. I agree that he will be nice batting leadoff or second in front of TCQ. If this move does happen, there almost has to be another move. I'm sure that will get the rumor mill going around here. How difficult is it for an outfielder to switch to 1b? If Konerko is moved, could Dye or Abreu play 1st without killing the infield defense?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Alexei in the #2 spot = ~750 PA

Alexei in the #6 spot = ~680 PA

Alexei in the #9 spot = ~620 PA

Is it really worth limiting his PAs like this because he got hot for 100 PA in the 9th spot last season?

Are you really going to move Konerko to put Alexei there? Alexei is an option in the 2hole or the 8th and the 9th as I see it. Although he is a good contact hitter (which is gold at the bottom of the order as he works pitchers out), his OBP still doesnt warrant him moving ahead of the boppers unless its in the 2 spot.