Silly Mariners-Quentin Rumor thread

whtsoxfan

QUOTE (BearSox @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
It'll be funny if the rumor we all dismiss right away as BS is the rumor that comes true. I agree that this is garbage though.

If by "funny" you mean "tragic and horrible" then yes, I agree it would be funny.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Twins Showing Interest In Jarrod Washburn

story on mlbtraderumors starting on Monday

MONDAY, 8:49pm: According to John Hickey of the Seattle Post-Intellegencer, the Twins have "some interest" in dealing for left-hander Jarrod Washburn. Hickey writes that the Mariners and Twins discussed a deal last week that would have sent Washburn and catcher Jeff Clement to Minnesota for 23-year-old outfielder Delmon Young. It's not known whether that particular deal fell through, but it's likely. The pieces just don't seem to fit. Washburn, 34, went 5-14 last season with a 4.69 ERA and the Twins already have a young, All-Star catcher.

TUESDAY, 7:37pm: Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune writes that the Twins have "lost their appetite for a Jarrod Washburn trade." It probably had something to do with his $10.35MM '09 salary.

Sound familiar?

(1) Seattle talking to AL Central team

(2) Washburn + prospect

(3) Young talented outfielder in return

Sounds like the young M's blogger simply swapped out Young for Quentin to create a new rumor.

I think we should flood the other sites with trade rumors. Obviously they don't have to be true or even realistic so let's go.

I have heard a rumor that Boston wants to trade Babe Ruth to the NY Yankmees. That is ludicrous

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
Twins Showing Interest In Jarrod Washburn

story on mlbtraderumors starting on Monday

MONDAY, 8:49pm: According to John Hickey of the Seattle Post-Intellegencer, the Twins have "some interest" in dealing for left-hander Jarrod Washburn. Hickey writes that the Mariners and Twins discussed a deal last week that would have sent Washburn and catcher Jeff Clement to Minnesota for 23-year-old outfielder Delmon Young. It's not known whether that particular deal fell through, but it's likely. The pieces just don't seem to fit. Washburn, 34, went 5-14 last season with a 4.69 ERA and the Twins already have a young, All-Star catcher.

TUESDAY, 7:37pm: Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune writes that the Twins have "lost their appetite for a Jarrod Washburn trade." It probably had something to do with his $10.35MM '09 salary.

Sound familiar?

(1) Seattle talking to AL Central team

(2) Washburn + prospect

(3) Young talented outfielder in return

Sounds like the young M's blogger simply swapped out Young for Quentin to create a new rumor.

Hey buddy, I broke this comparison several hours ago...:)

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
I wonder if the Mariners are on Dye's no trade list. Maybe there's a deal possible with them but not for TCQ. I think KW would trade TCQ if he were to get the right package and that package would have to begin with MLB proven stud starting pitching with lots of years before free agency. In other words, not very likely to happen. Why would you give up one of the best young hitters in baseball for guys like Washburn when there are cheap free agent pitchers available. If this rumor is not complete bs, then they must mean a trade around Dye.

for whatever reason, rebuilding teams generally don't like to bring in 35 year old players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
for whatever reason, rebuilding teams generally don't like to bring in 35 year old players.

It makes more sense as the Sox wanting a 10 million dollar 5-14 Washburn for TCQ. Obviously the rumor is really about the Twins and Young. I'm just trying to guess what KW is up to if the Abreu offer is true. Man, when is spring training?

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
It makes more sense than the Sox wanting a 10 million dollar 5-14 Washburn thrown in with Morrow for TCQ. Obviously the rumor is really about the Twins and Young. I'm just trying to guess what KW is up to if the Abreu offer is true. Man, when is spring training?

Ok here's a question.

If you were offered Felix Hernandez for Carlos Quentin, what would your response be? Would you ask for Morrow to be included in the deal also (with the Sox likely giving up something back I would think).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
I heard Quentin was going to the Cubs for all of their pitching prospects on the Score.

You're forgetting that it was a 3 way trade in which we also give Poreda and some other pitching prospects to the Padres, while they send Peavy to the Cubs

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Ok here's a question.

If you were offered Felix Hernandez for Carlos Quentin, what would your response be? Would you ask for Morrow to be included in the deal also (with the Sox likely giving up something back I would think).

Yes and Morrow need not be involved. Pitching is harder to find than corner outfielders..see this offseason.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
why is it that all this off season ive read rumors about the twins maybe trading delmon young? is it because they dont want him because of his adittude or because he wasnt as good as they thought hed be...? :huh

It's probably more that Denard Span's development + Cuddyer coming back from injury creates a logjam in the outfield.

Somebody is going to sit... or get traded.

And Young may be the guy who they feel:

a.) they are most willing to move

b.) they might get the most for in a deal

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
It's probably more that Denard Span's development + Cuddyer coming back from injury creates a logjam in the outfield.

Somebody is going to sit... or get traded.

And Young may be the guy who they feel:

a.) they are most willing to move

b.) they might get the most for in a deal

c.)he's not a piranha

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
200 IP, 3.45 ERA at age 22?

Yeah, those numbers are pretty much impossible to ignore.

And considering that his K rate could increase due to his stuff and that his BB rate will almost certainly come down with maturity, he's almost certainly going to be one of the best pitchers in the league very, very soon. It's always a question of durability, and he's been good enough thus far.