Frank Thomas...

Greg Hibbard

Is there anyone who's going to take a chance on him, or will he have to sit out this season or even possibly call it a career? Is he even healthy enough to play? I have not heard a peep since he went on the 60 day. I know Oakland's going in a different direction, but what other clubs even make sense? Seattle maybe?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

At this point I have to imagine he is strictly a lefty-platoon man that would have to prove himself healthy enough to play full-time for him to get a job, and he's strictly a DH/pinch hitter now a days anyways. If the Sox had room on the bench, he'd actually be a good guy to split time with Thome, but that bridge seems to have been burned and I'm not sure he'd even take a platoon role anyways.

It seems as though he's probably being forced into retirement.

I always loved the Big Hurt. One of my favorite baseball memories is going to Denver in 2005 when the Sox played there and seeing the Big Hurt hit a PH homer to dead centerfield. The fans at Coord Field went crazy for the Sox and the Hurt. He might be through now for sure, but I hope to see him back somewhere. The Sox connection is probably long over, but one can always dream.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
I always loved the Big Hurt. One of my favorite baseball memories is going to Denver in 2005 when the Sox played there and seeing the Big Hurt hit a PH homer to dead centerfield. The fans at Coord Field went crazy for the Sox and the Hurt. He might be through now for sure, but I hope to see him back somewhere. The Sox connection is probably long over, but one can always dream.

I'd love to see the Big Hurt as batting coach but I doubt that'll happen

I would hope he could do one of those one-day contracts and retire as a White Sox player...

Does anyone think with the steroid issue looming SO large nowadays as it pertains to the HOF Frank has an even better shot? DH or no...

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
I would hope he could do one of those one-day contracts and retire as a White Sox player...

Does anyone think with the steroid issue looming SO large nowadays as it pertains to the HOF Frank has an even better shot? DH or no...

Only question about Frank & the HOF is if he's gonna be 1st ballot.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)

Agreed. I think he clearly deserves to go in on his first try, but I don't have nearly enough confidence in the voters to actually follow through on that. A lot of voters are just plain jagoffs.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
I'd love to see the Big Hurt as batting coach but I doubt that'll happen

With Frank's unique style of hitting, I don't want him teaching any of my hitters how to hit a baseball. How to go about attacking a pitcher, perhaps, but not a batting coach.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
With Frank's unique style of hitting, I don't want him teaching any of my hitters how to hit a baseball. How to go about attacking a pitcher, perhaps, but not a batting coach.

Maybe I was too young to understand Franks unique style of hitting. Or maybe I am tying my father's views of his style of hitting too closely into his actual style but I somewhat copied the hurt in my later stages of baseball and into high school.

I saw him as a guy who had a great approach. He had a great eye and looked to drive the ball to right-centerfield. If he is going to preach that to some of our younger pull hitters with k issues, then I am all for it.

I don't think he had a unique style, but I think he was one of the few who could pull it off to the level he did. Idk...just my thought. Maybe you guys can share some things though.

Ever since we got Thome I've dreamt of a DH platoon consisting of the two. I mean, hell, if we have room for clowns like Wasserman or Nix then why the hell not make our DH spot one that opposing pitchers don't want to f*** with. It would certainly count more than a mop or someone who Jenks would probably surpass on the infield depth charts...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Maybe I was too young to understand Franks unique style of hitting. Or maybe I am tying my father's views of his style of hitting too closely into his actual style but I somewhat copied the hurt in my later stages of baseball and into high school.

I saw him as a guy who had a great approach. He had a great eye and looked to drive the ball to right-centerfield. If he is going to preach that to some of our younger pull hitters with k issues, then I am all for it.

I don't think he had a unique style, but I think he was one of the few who could pull it off to the level he did. Idk...just my thought. Maybe you guys can share some things though.

I agree with everything, it's just that he did not have mechanics you'd like to teach to younger ballplayers. Frank was all about putting power into the ball, and lifting his right leg as he swings. I just looked at some video and it doesn't appear to be as bad as I remembered, but it's still not something you want to put into every hitter's mind. The thought behind it though - the transfer of weight from the back leg to the front leg as you swing - is fantastic, and that's where all of his power came from. If you put 270+ pounds of weight into a baseball, it's going to go a long ways. Of course, if you are Alexei Ramirez and you try and duplicate that, you'll have a much different result. If anything, it would be a good drill for some hitters to do just to get used to the feeling, but it shouldn't be duplicated unless you have enough muscle or mass behind the ball.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)

Of course we are going to be biased here... but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be a first ballot. He was the most feared hitter in the league for the better half of a decade, and arguably the most raw talented player Chicago has ever seen (on either side of town). The mere fact the man never touched a steroid in a period where he was the minority and still put up those number speaks volumes. All the whines and demands will always be remembered here locally for the awkward ending, but the national perception of him will always be positive, writers, experts, historians will want to make an example out of him by seperating him a part from all that was bad with baseball in the 90s.

Edit: Just thought about if Frank does INDEED retire this year, he would go in with Maddux. All be damned if I was not to get to Cooperstown that day.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 05:41 AM)
Ever since we got Thome I've dreamt of a DH platoon consisting of the two. I mean, hell, if we have room for clowns like Wasserman or Nix then why the hell not make our DH spot one that opposing pitchers don't want to f*** with. It would certainly count more than a mop or someone who Jenks would probably surpass on the infield depth charts...

The way the game is played and managed today is different. I agree with your feeling and I wouldn't have any problem with a combo of Thome and Thomas. But, the days of Smokey Burgess are over and so sad

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
I agree with everything, it's just that he did not have mechanics you'd like to teach to younger ballplayers. Frank was all about putting power into the ball, and lifting his right leg as he swings. I just looked at some video and it doesn't appear to be as bad as I remembered, but it's still not something you want to put into every hitter's mind. The thought behind it though - the transfer of weight from the back leg to the front leg as you swing - is fantastic, and that's where all of his power came from. If you put 270+ pounds of weight into a baseball, it's going to go a long ways. Of course, if you are Alexei Ramirez and you try and duplicate that, you'll have a much different result. If anything, it would be a good drill for some hitters to do just to get used to the feeling, but it shouldn't be duplicated unless you have enough muscle or mass behind the ball.

I dont know, if we can bulk Alexi up to 270, he has a chance. haha but Yes. very true on the mechanics part of it. I think his approach to hitting is what every ballplayer should follow but thats just me.

I remember when Thomas came up, he was hitting the hell out of the ball, until pitchers realized that they could get him out swinging at the outside and low pitches. What does Frank do? He goes back to Walt Hriniak and learns a brand-new batting stance and approach, so that he could protect the outside corners. Then, pitchers were forced to give him pitches to hit again. Pretty brilliant if you ask me. Thomas would be a great hitting coach, in my opinion. He knows hitting techniques pretty well.

His big area of vulnerability later in his career was "plus" stuff on the inside corner or just inside off the plate.

Because he starting diving out so much to cover the outside half, he'd inevitably have to jump back and rung up quite a few K's that way...I think as he aged, he realized that he had to cheat a little to get an advantage (he never had Alexei Ramirez bat speed, his bat was always "slider" speed). He could just kill offspeed stuff...good guess hitter...and he could pulverize average or slightly above average FB's when he had the count in his favor, which was usually because of his incredible eye and mgmt of the strike zone.

Thomas would be a great hitting coach, in my opinion. He knows hitting techniques pretty well.

I would agree. He was unselfish too in taking all those walks.

I mean our current hitting coach ... does anybody remember HIS style of hitting? Why would that make a difference. If Walker knew how to hit he didn't show it much on the field.

• 1 month later...