Gotta Love Kenny Williams, Seriously

greg775

The first question to set Williams off, however, was from a fan who said he was glad the club let Joe Crede go, adding a bad pun about Crede being a ''pain in the back.'' Crede has suffered from back problems for the last two seasons.

Williams told the fan: ''I have a World Series ring somewhere in my house, and I wouldn't if it wasn't for Joe Crede.

''Don't be so fickle. Joe Crede dragged his ass out there for a lot of games when he couldn't move. Don't go there with me.''

The same fan ripped the club for signing Bartolo Colon over Jon Garland and asked Williams, ''Do you really think Colon will be better than Garland?''

Williams' response: ''He might be, yes.''

Way to put that stupid ass fan in his place. I mean my god, we win a World Series for the first time in 10 zillion years partly because of Joe f***ing Crede and some moron gets up and cracks some stupid pun about getting rid of Crede and his being a "pain in the back."

Good job KW. How soon some of us fans forget.

Way to put that stupid ass fan in his place. I mean my god, we win a World Series for the first time in 10 zillion years partly because of Joe f***ing Crede and some moron gets up and cracks some stupid pun about getting rid of Crede and his being a "pain in the back."

IMO the only one who sounds stupid in that quote is KW. Not about Crede, but that defense of Colon is hilarious.

Bartolo's "ceiling" is higher than Garland's, a lot higher

But will injuries prevent him from reaching that ceiling, or anywhere close to it

Also, will Garland's shoulder knot problem resurface preventing him from being useful in 2009 (And perhaps, is a reason for his lackluster performance in 2008)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)

He's also one of the few GM's who openly says he really doesn't care what the fans think about his moves/trades and whether they understand them or not...that he doesn't have to answer to bloggers, fanboys, SABR club stat geeks or anyone else but JR.

Of course, it's a lot easier to do that with a WS championship so recently in the rearview window.

I find it pretty hilarious that he now always prefaces his comments with something like "I really don't have time to answer every blog or Internet rumor" but he still inevitably will make a comment when situations reach "critical mass" in terms of speculation (like the Dye/Bailey rumors week).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Joe Crede gave the White Sox 1 crucial month in the 2005 season. You know who else did? Frank Thomas. He got b****ed out, and his agent isn't even Boras!

What's a brother gotta do.

Not complain about everything... And I do like FT

Edited by SEALgep

Lets not forget all the big hits last year in April and May before his back quit on him again. Crede will be missed and will always be a Sox legend.

Personally I think "myth" is a better term.

Come on, it's insulting to put him on the same level of Frank Thomas, Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, or even Dick Allen.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 06:29 AM)
So you also feel that if Brian Anderson played last year full time he would've hit .275 hit 25 homers?

No and maybe yes. I think the average would have been in the .200 to .220 range, but I think the power would have been in the low 20's HR range.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
IMO the only one who sounds stupid in that quote is KW. Not about Crede, but that defense of Colon is hilarious.

Right, what he should have said was "I honestly think Colon will suck this year. We had an extra mil in the coffer and decided to give it away to Colon. Garland on the other hand, knots in his shoulder and all, will win the Cy Young."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 04:42 AM)
He's also one of the few GM's who openly says he really doesn't care what the fans think about his moves/trades and whether they understand them or not...that he doesn't have to answer to bloggers, fanboys, SABR club stat geeks or anyone else but JR.

Of course, it's a lot easier to do that with a WS championship so recently in the rearview window.

I find it pretty hilarious that he now always prefaces his comments with something like "I really don't have time to answer every blog or Internet rumor" but he still inevitably will make a comment when situations reach "critical mass" in terms of speculation (like the Dye/Bailey rumors week).

That's his job. He is supposed to put together a team that HE thinks will win as many games as possible with the resources he is given.

The fans and everyone else do not have the information about resources, scouting reports, injury info etc. for the most part.

He should ignore everything fans and bloggers say because in the end it's his job on the line. The rest of us just don't have lives and speculate on things we don't have all the info about, have no control over and whose employment do not depend on it.

Edited by ptatc

Right, what he should have said was "I honestly think Colon will suck this year. We had an extra mil in the coffer and decided to give it away to Colon. Garland on the other hand, knots in his shoulder and all, will win the Cy Young."

I get your point, but I guess that shows you the hilarious reality. What point in letting people ask questions if we can't answer them honestly?

I haven't seen anyone mention it on Soxtalk but when we signed Colon I think most of us assumed his arm was healthy after putting up decent numbers with Boston and in the minors. The reality is he had elbow surgery to clean out bone chips on his pitching arm and will start his spring traing later than most. It wasn't just his back that was injured.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Bartolo's "ceiling" is higher than Garland's, a lot higher

But will injuries prevent him from reaching that ceiling, or anywhere close to it

Also, will Garland's shoulder knot problem resurface preventing him from being useful in 2009 (And perhaps, is a reason for his lackluster performance in 2008)

I am all for supporting the team, but to say outright that BC is going to be better than JG at this point in Bart's career might be pushing it. I don't remember Jon being on the disabled list and Bart has obviously. If we get ten wins from Bartolo I will be happy. Don't get me wrong it's not that I want or expect Colon to fail it's just we need to be realistic. One of the reasons we won that 2005 World Series is because of Jon Garland also.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
I am all for supporting the team, but to say outright that BC is going to be better than JG at this point in Bart's career might be pushing it. I don't remember Jon being on the disabled list and Bart has obviously. If we get ten wins from Bartolo I will be happy. Don't get me wrong it's not that I want or expect Colon to fail it's just we need to be realistic. One of the reasons we won that 2005 World Series is because of Jon Garland also.

2005 was great for all of us, but that doesnt mean we have to hold on to every player on that team. Garland wasnt very good last year, and he should have been. He was pitching in a pitchers park, in fact his division outside of texas is all pitchers parks, and Garland was barely mediocre. The knot in his shoulder seems to be something he does not want to take care of and just wants to deal with, Kenny decided that wasnt worth the money he got paid in Arizona. Colon is inexpensive, and if he fails then one of Poreda/Marquez/Richard/etc will have a shot to replace him. Some may believe this is CR/AP, but it is what it is. There are still pitchers on the market available, but it doesnt seem like any of them have less injury problems than Colon, which is why they are still on the market.

Big Hurt may continue to call Colon "hilarious" every chance he gets, but Colon isnt being counted on to be the ace. Colon is playing for a contract, and hopefully he is motivated to pitch well and stay healthy and participate on what could be a very exciting season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)

KW just said that he might be better than Garland. There was no outright guarantee there... I don't think that anyone would guarantee that, but Colon does have a much higher ceiling if everything works out well.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
So you also feel that if Brian Anderson played last year full time he would've hit .275 hit 25 homers?

I''d say .260 and 20 homers is more realistic so, yeah, our GM (as great as he is) is know to exaggerate. I won't miss Crede that much, but It's hard to believe that the leaders of both the Dirty Thirty Crew and The Hardcore 24 have already been purged from the clubhouse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)

Man,I'm with you 200%,those guys from the 2005 team will always have my respect,its not like we're the Yankees and have a ton of rings and could be fickle about it...let's win a dozen more titles before we become obnoxious "what have you done for us lately" fans.(Yankee fans) :gosox3:

Edited by MexSoxFan#1