It's Tax Season

Texsox

33 members have voted

1. 1. Have you filed your 2008 tax return?

• Nah, exempt
    • Yes. I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go
    • Yes. Small refund
    • Yes. $500-$1,000 Refund
    • Yes $1001 - $2,000 Refund
    • Yes $ Refund
    • No, Still have months and months
    • Strawberry Alarm Clock

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Owning a house is definitely nice come tax season (i guess, having a mortgage is what helps the most)

especially nice to receive a huge refund check at the same time that 1st installment property taxes are due...

Oh yeah. Just lost a point on refinancing as well!!! I love the prop tax bill day.

Mine are done and sent out. I'm just waiting for the direct deposit to hit my account now. I'm getting around $2000 back this year between state and federal.

Last year I got back every single dollar I paid in. This year I had to paid a total of $64. The rest is being refunded to me. Mostly because of the $3000 tax credit I get for my kids.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
If you buy something from a charity, is it tax deductible? I bought a couple of the legacy bricks from the Sox. Can I write that off?

Generally speaking the organization has to be a 501©3 charity for your purchase to be tax deductible. Not all not for profits are charities. Your deduction is the net between what you paid minus any goods or services you received in return for your donation. The example is if you bought a mountain bike at a charity auction, the deduction would be what you paid less the retail value of the bike. Often times, strictly speaking, very little is actually tax deductible. Even the rubber chicken or BBQ from the dinner would be deducted from your contribution.

Most charities will send you a letter detailing what portion of your gift is deductible. On large gifts you would be required to obtain the fed tax id number of the charity.

Welcome to my world. Would you also like to make a donation to the Rio Grande Council, Boy Scouts of America? I kicked off my annual Friends of Scouting campaign a couple weeks ago and am way behind last years numbers.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
I'm a united way guy, but this year I was going to make a nice donation to my college or high school. We'll what happens with the market.

I've always been pretty indifferent to most charities but the United Way really turned me off when they decided to quit giving money to the local community center where I grew up playing baseball in the summertime. My youngest daughter plays there now.

They nearly went under because of it.