Josh Kroeger

scenario

Josh Kroeger, a lefthanded-hitting outfielder signed as a minor league free agent, was sixth in the Venezuelan League in homers (10) and seventh in RBIs (43). He hit .307/.373/.514 with 15 homers for Triple-A Iowa in 2008. He will be in big league camp, trying to open eyes. Edited by scenario

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
This kid put up some serious numbers down in the minors... if he can play, I hope that Ozzie gives him a shot.

The Sox have shown that they are not afraid to turn to career minor leaguers if they see something in them. Just ask DeWayne Wise and Pablo Ozuna.

Hm. Bad K/BB ratio, and he's had some struggles. But, he seems to get to a certain level, struggle, then find it. If he can play CF, and has some good offensive potential, he's definitely worth having in the system somewhere. Even if its as a backup plan in Charlotte.

Better than Jeff DaVanon.

Here's an abbreviated scouting report from 2005, when he was the #7 prospect in the DBacks system.

Coincidentally that year, Carlos Quentin was their #1 prospect.

Background: Kroeger's athleticism was obvious when the Diamondbacks drafted him -— he turned down a football scholarship as a wide receiver -- but he was raw as a baseball player. He started to figure the game out in 2003 and took another step forward last year, when he topped the system with 266 total bases and tied for the minor league lead with 51 doubles. (He had 19 homeruns to go along with those 51 doubles... in 453 at-bats... between AA and AAA in 2004.)

Strengths: Kroeger is a natural hitter with a smooth, level swing and good power. He’s especially adept at driving the ball in the gaps. He has the arm for right field and the slightly above-average speed to play center in a pinch.

Weaknesses: His overly aggressive approach was exploited in his big league debut, as he struck out 21 times and drew just one walk in 55 plate appearances. He already has lost a step from his high school days and may continue to slow down. His effort has come into question at times.

The Future: Kroeger proved in September that he’s not ready to hit big league pitching. Set to return to Triple-A, he could get buried by Arizona's outfield depth.

Kenny loves those former football players, doesn't he? At least he picked up a wide receiver to play with all the former quarterbacks.

The 2005-2006 seasons at AAA for Arizona and then Philly exposed his aggressiveness and lack of plate discipline. But 2007-2008 in the Cubs system, there seemed to be improvement in his walks/strikeouts and his average/OBP bounced back up.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
What was his line in the minors last season?

.307 .373 .514 .887

15 homeruns and 38 doubles in 430 at-bats for the AAA - Iowa Cubs.

43 walks / 82 strikeouts

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
I really hope David Cook rises to the occasion and wins the CF job. Its definitely not likely, but I just get the same vibe off him as I did Chris Getz(when he was in lowA) and think Cook will be successful in the bigs.

I thought Cook was more of a corner guy? Doesn't he play LF/RF/1B?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
I thought Cook was more of a corner guy? Doesn't he play LF/RF/1B?

Cook plays the corners but can also play CF.

Games by position throughout this minor league career.

Yr Age Team LF CF RF

2005 23 Kanny 86 10 0

2006 24 WinSal 128 0 0

2007 25 WinSal 34 18 34

2007 25 Birm. 0 1 27

2008 26 Birm. 0 22 39

2008 26 Charl. 8 0 56

Edited by scenario

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Kroeger didn't show too much in yesterdays game showing that he was neither the greatest hitter or fielder. Not playing perfectly at first.

1B and OF are not the same.

I've seen him in the OF a couple times now (admitedly a very small sample size), and he looked fine. If you look at his career minor league time, he has had a whopping 19 chances at 1B - barely one game's worth. The rest of his time has been in the outfield. 1B is overall easier to play than any OF position, but, that doesn't mean you can just immediately start playing 1B and be good right away. All positions on the field take time to adjust to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Boy Kroeger has really fallen off as the players in camp have narrowed. He is down to .302 now.

Come on now, it's been like 40 AB's. If he gets a hit in his next AB, his BA will shoot up to about .320.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Wasn't he hitting something like .500 over his first twenty ABs?

I think he was somewhere in the .400 range, but never at .500. Corky on the other hand has been hovering around the .500 area.