Alex Rodriguez tested postive for steroids in 2003; Admits It

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
I'm conflicted. I'd like to know the names of all the players who failed the test in 2003, but I think it's unfair that a "survey" test that was supposed to remain anonymous has been leaked. It's unfair to the players who've been outed, but it's also unfair to "clean" players (if there are any) who are guilty by association. Oh, well, at least Bud Selig makes big bucks for completely and repeatedly dropping the ball.

There are plenty of guys who had clean tests who were using. They were warned they would be taking the test. ARod is a victim here for sure. That test was supposed to remain confidential. Its weird. The positive tests during the annoymous portion that were supposed to remain confidential only seem to be naming big names. The guys getting suspended for the most part were weak players. Something doesn't add up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Great job by ARod being a stand-up person about this. The Bonds/Clemens stuff is going to scare people into being honest, which is good for everyone involved.

thats really the intentions of congress and all the feds that are pushing this on bonds and clemens IMO....now you look at it and its like...if you are a great baseball player, why risk it? theres an actual downside now, and thats falling out of favor with public perception. That impacts their entire career and potential HOF stuff. To me that is 1.) incentive to stay clean and 2.) incentive to be honest about past use

10 years ago the risk of getting caught/publicly ostracized for steroid use wasn't real, now hopefully that threat will keep the game a little bit cleaner

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Great job by ARod being a stand-up person about this. The Bonds/Clemens stuff is going to scare people into being honest, which is good for everyone involved.

That's what I was thinking. I consider myself a pretty merciless person at times. But I actually felt bad for A-rod while I was watching that interview.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
There are plenty of guys who had clean tests who were using. They were warned they would be taking the test. ARod is a victim here for sure. That test was supposed to remain confidential. Its weird. The positive tests during the annoymous portion that were supposed to remain confidential only seem to be naming big names. The guys getting suspended for the most part were weak players. Something doesn't add up.

A couple things bearing on that...first, a number of substances weren't tested for in the 03 trial run. Specifically the BALCO supplied THG, which Bonds was on, was in fact found in his 03 sample but there wasn't a test for it used by MLB at the time.

Second, in terms of no big names getting caught...the first year that it was "1 positive test and you get exposed" was 2005. The guy you may remember going down that year was former future HOF Rafael Palmeiro. That's a fairly big name.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
I like ARod, but he's upset because he was caught. If those tests were destroyed, he'd still be lying about it. Coming clean is cool though. And he did say 3 years. I don't know if that's true or not, and we have no reason to believe him since he admittedly lied before, but it is time to move onI wonder if he thinks they could put an asterisk on those 3 seasons and count everything else for his totals so if he hits 900 homers which is possible he would still be considered the home run king. It was apparent steroids were and maybe are still a problem, but 6 year old news to keep lowlifes like Canseco, a guy who on one hand brags about how he basically introduced steroids to baseball, and then goes and points out all the "frauds" in the game.

Maybe true, but he still deserves props IMO. It seems what most people who care about this issue feel is that many other players did it, just come out and come clean. You get caught, don't be a douche about it and go the Bonds route, just man up and let us all move on so we can stop talking about it. It seems like a simple thing to do, but the way other players have been acting, evidently it's not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
I like ARod, but he's upset because he was caught.

That is always my first reaction as well. But I've been saying for years I'd respect the guy that stands up early and says Yes I did. He did, and I do have some respect for that. I really dislike what it is doing to baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
A couple things bearing on that...first, a number of substances weren't tested for in the 03 trial run. Specifically the BALCO supplied THG, which Bonds was on, was in fact found in his 03 sample but there wasn't a test for it used by MLB at the time.

Second, in terms of no big names getting caught...the first year that it was "1 positive test and you get exposed" was 2005. The guy you may remember going down that year was former future HOF Rafael Palmeiro. That's a fairly big name.

And of the suspensions, what other players of significance have ever gone down? I think he's the only one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Like with Bonds, the thing that is so frustrating (I'm assuming A-rod is telling the truth in that he only cheated from 2001-2003) is that the dude was already the best player in the league prior to 2001. That's what gets me. I can see the average/fringe player looking for that "edge."

oh so it was for 3 years. hall of famer?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
oh so it was for 3 years. hall of famer?

I've said that Bonds already was that good and the same remains true for A-Rod. He was the best position player in the league by then with or without steroids.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
I've said that Bonds already was that good and the same remains true for A-Rod. He was the best position player in the league by then with or without steroids.

That's what so disheartening about this, he didn't need them.

Maybe he felt the pressure to live up to his huge contract, and wanted a bit of an "extra insurance", I don't know.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)

Maybe he felt the pressure to live up to his huge contract, and wanted a bit of an "extra insurance", I don't know.

That's actually close to what he said.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

That's my feeling. At 25 he probably felt pressure to perform....even though he was performing incredibly for 6 years prior that contract. It's disappointing to see it happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)

I'll still cheer for Arod and call him one of the best ever. Glad he manned up and admitted things and he definately admitted more than most players have in the past.