Alex Rodriguez tested postive for steroids in 2003; Admits It

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Manny is probably a juicer. I was watching a special in 2006 called "Flamethrowers" in which they showed every No-Hitter/Perfect Game since 1980.I was watching Jim Abbott's No-Hitter,and it was Manny's rookie year. One of the things that stood out to me is the Sosa-like transformation of Manny's body. He was about as skinny or skinnier than Sosa was on the Sox.

ramirez_rookie_1.jpg

That's a pretty solid base to build on... I don't see how you guys can say this stuff.

When I was 20 I was like 155 lbs. Most people are small when they are young, and bulk up through their 20s, and then start adding weight to that bulk in their 30s. You can't assume that EVERYONE who gets bigger over the course of their career is a cheater... that's a bad idea. Manny's entire head didn't jump sizes like others.

1.jpg 610x.jpg

Sure, there's a lot of hair and image there, but I haven't seen Manny implicated yet, and his transformation wasn't unbelievable.

The allegations in this thread are the saddest legacy of the "doping era" in baseball. The broad paintbrush that is being used to describe any player who hit a lot of home runs and got bigger, is powerful. I applaud the players that avoided that shortcut to success and hope the juicers are all found out and their legacies made accurate.

I understand the desire to ponder who may, and who may not have juiced. For me, I find the conversation a bit sickening. Some of my favorite players have been implicated or even worse. If it did extend to Thomas, I'd have a hard time watching baseball for a while.

you don't have to completely transform your body in order to have done roids...clemens was always really thick and he had a solid base to build on when he was a rookie...also you have to remember guys like brian roberts, alex sanchez, derrick turnbow etc have all been juicers...you dont have to add significant bulk to have juiced

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
ramirez_rookie_1.jpg

That's a pretty solid base to build on... I don't see how you guys can say this stuff.

When I was 20 I was like 155 lbs. Most people are small when they are young, and bulk up through their 20s, and then start adding weight to that bulk in their 30s. You can't assume that EVERYONE who gets bigger over the course of their career is a cheater... that's a bad idea. Manny's entire head didn't jump sizes like others.

1.jpg 610x.jpg

Sure, there's a lot of hair and image there, but I haven't seen Manny implicated yet, and his transformation wasn't unbelievable.

Frank also got quite a bit larger over the years. And not the Sosa-like muscle "larger" - more like general bulk and what appears to be a little fat. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but steroids tend to not make people look "pudgy." As for HGH, well, that's a little more complicated.

I wish that we could go back to the old days when players looked like toothpicks and 30 HRs in a season was near the league-lead. I liked the game just as much back then, without the added home run entertainment.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Frank also got quite a bit larger over the years. And not the Sosa-like muscle "larger" - more like general bulk and what appears to be a little fat. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but steroids tend to not make people look "pudgy." As for HGH, well, that's a little more complicated.

I wish that we could go back to the old days when players looked like toothpicks and 30 HRs in a season was near the league-lead. I liked the game just as much back then, without the added home run entertainment.

The truth IMHO is if there was a no steroid league, and a cheat all the want league, the cheat all you want league, with 500 foot homeruns and 110 mph fast balls will outdraw the clean league. The casual fan wants to see rooftop shots.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
The truth IMHO is if there was a no steroid league, and a cheat all the want league, the cheat all you want league, with 500 foot homeruns and 110 mph fast balls will outdraw the clean league. The casual fan wants to see rooftop shots.

Didn't guys like Mantle and Mays hit more than a few of those back in their era?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
People can add weight and muscle mass as they get older. It's not uncommon. Ramirez was 22 years old in 1994.

Rookie Card

500th homer

I don't see a big enough difference. He wore a tighter uniform early in his career and as he's aged, he's gone to a real baggy like uniform. That probably explains some of it too.

To me, that looks exactly like the Barry Bonds transformation, right down to the baggy uniform he's wearing when he hit the 500th homer.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)

Agreed that a bunch of people would pay hand-over-fist to watch a bunch of steroid-addled freaks slowly kill themselves, in the name of "entertainment." Didn't the Danny Bonaduce reality show get decent ratings? Hell, look at the ratings that Pro Wrestling draws.

Would the Steroid Freak league out-draw the Clean League? I don't know about that. Quite a few people strongly disagree with PED use. And I'm sure that the heads of the Clean League would be tipping off the Feds about the illegal activities in their competitor. I don't think that MLB or the MLBPA would exist in their current forms if they didn't have a monopoly in America.

He said the culture earlier this decade of taking performance-enhancing substances was "prevalent." "There were a lot of people doing a lot of different things," Rodriguez said, noting that he wasn't specifically pointing out the Rangers.

personally i think people are naive if they don't believe that this s*** was just about everywhere...there may be some guys who didn't, i dont deny that, but for athletes, their bodies are their careers, and big money careers at that...Hell i think you would be hard pressed to find a high school football team at a large high school that doesn't have at least one student experimenting with steroids

He did it for three years (2001-2003)

Watching the interview, he seemed really upset/emotional while talking to Gammons. I've always heard he had a huge conscience, and tried doing the right things, whether that's accurate or not... I don't know, but he looked like he was truly sorry for this

You never know though, some people are hard to read

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)

Watching the interview, he seemed really upset/emotional while talking to Gammons. I've always heard he had a huge conscience, and tried doing the right things, whether that's accurate or not... I don't know, but he looked like he was truly sorry for this

Especially this guy.

2583859362_085d70a434.jpg

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)

I like ARod, but he's upset because he was caught. If those tests were destroyed, he'd still be lying about it. Coming clean is cool though. And he did say 3 years. I don't know if that's true or not, and we have no reason to believe him since he admittedly lied before, but it is time to move onI wonder if he thinks they could put an asterisk on those 3 seasons and count everything else for his totals so if he hits 900 homers which is possible he would still be considered the home run king. It was apparent steroids were and maybe are still a problem, but 6 year old news to keep lowlifes like Canseco, a guy who on one hand brags about how he basically introduced steroids to baseball, and then goes and points out all the "frauds" in the game.

I'm conflicted. I'd like to know the names of all the players who failed the test in 2003, but I think it's unfair that a "survey" test that was supposed to remain anonymous has been leaked. It's unfair to the players who've been outed, but it's also unfair to "clean" players (if there are any) who are guilty by association. Oh, well, at least Bud Selig makes big bucks for completely and repeatedly dropping the ball.