Dayán Viciedo BP Session

Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
OK, guys. I certainly understand where are you coming from.

Keep in mind that I do not come here every day to bombard you guys with my Cuban crap. I do not want you guys to hate us, but to love us. Ha, ha, ha.

I only come every time something may interest you the most. Having said that, I spend lots of time updating my blog. Obviosuly, I am trying to raise the profile and knowledge of Cuban players for the better of them. Maybe, some of you do not relate to this, but I certainly do. The reason I started my blog is because we are treated different than the rest of the world for the bad. I hope to make a small difference, but sometimes I feel I am in a losing battle with the baseball establisment. I have seen improvements though. I have seen article with the correct info on defectors now. In the past, all Cuban players played in the National team. After they bombed, Cubans were bad. :unsure:

I have videos about other Cuban defectors there. If I inform you about Viciedo once, then I do not have to come back here and let you know I have videos about Yadel Marti and Yasser Gomez in my site because you probably see it once you went to see Viciedo.

I have met baseball agents, historians, journalists, etc on these forums. I am trying to get their attention. I hope an extra click is not too much burden on some of you guys. You never know who is behind a computer. Maybe KW or one of his surrogates is a member of soxtalk. :gosox1:

I appologize for any extra click I may cause in advance.

You keep sending us good videos like that and good info and I don't give a damn if we have to go through your blog.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Your blog is in your signature, we have seen it and appreciate it. There is no need to funnel the posts through your site everytime you post an article on Soxtalk that you have already hyperlinked on your own site. Maybe your signature bigger if you want more people going to your site, or as Bob suggested, complete the hyperlink so we can go directly to the posted article instead of searching for it on your blog if we come to the thread late and it is already pushed down the page

This isnt a battle against the establishment for us, we are fans of the Chicago White Sox

-_-

It's really not that big of a deal at all...

Keep up the great work, cubano.

Viciedo will get a long look at spring training.

Couple of quotes that popped out at me personally.

Ramirez has taken Viciedo under his wing in the Miami area by working out with him and showing him how to acclimate to a new country and language in the manner similar to that of Sox pitcher and fellow Cuban Jose Contreras.

According to those who have seen him lately, the forecast is encouraging.

"He's very good," Ramirez said. "He's very strong."

The Sox instructed the 6-foot-1-inch Viciedo to report to spring training at 230 pounds. The AL scout was worried because he said Viciedo had swelled to 262 after leaving Cuba last fall, though he trimmed to about 246 around the time of his tryout in November.

"He's not as fat as everyone thinks he is," general manager Ken Williams said. "The weight is what it is, but it's not fat. He's a big kid."

Based on reports from manager Ozzie Guillen and coach Joey Cora, who has observed workouts in Miami, they have no doubts Viciedo can play third.

"He said he didn't come here to go to Triple A," Guillen said.

"He has more hitting ability than Alexei," the AL scout said. "But he has to make adjustments. I see some ways to get him out. Alexei is a great athlete who is very smart and can adjust.

"The Sox were right on with Alexei, but I want to see if Viciedo can do more than hit over an extended period."

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
He looked good I guess? Most minor league players can look good taking measly BP. Sure, he some line drives as you could see from the reverse angle, but go by some high school playing fields and guys are raking. I won't be ready to make any judgment about his readiness for the Majors until I see him live in ST against real pitchers. I am sure Borchard put on quite the show during BP and look where it got him.

Pretty much my thoughts. Not sure what we're supposed to take from a BP session (though this is appreciated, Cubano). I will say that Viciedo is the #1 reason I haven't been this excited for spring training to get underway since the spring of 2006 (that spring was special for obvious reasons).

"He said he didn't come here to go to Triple A," Guillen said.

That's the one that popped out in my mind. And if he comes into ST and absolutely rakes...what's Oz gonna do? I really think Kenny got lightning in a bottle twice signing this kid. Nice problem to have...but it seems Kenny's gonna have to clear some room here soon.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
-_-

It's really not that big of a deal at all...

Keep up the great work, cubano.

It's not a big deal, but I've come across one of his threads late and simply couldn't find the article that he was talking about because I got there too late. That is a problem. The easy solution is to give us a direct link to the article he's talking about. Since it's generally good information that most of us are reading, we'll go to the home page because we're interested to see what else is there.

I enjoy the hell out of Cubano's posts, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is a simple solution to a simple problem.

I wish we can have Viciedo play 3rd base and have Fields play 2nd base.

It can't be too difficult for a 3rd baseman to move to second base, the base is still to the right of them, and the throw to 1st base is shorter. All they'd need to learn is how to turn the double-play.

I'd also much rather see Josh play 2nd base if Viciedo win the 3rd base job instead of any of Gets/Lillibridge/Nix.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)

It can't be too difficult for a 3rd baseman to move to second base, the base is still to the right of them, and the throw to 1st base is shorter. All they'd need to learn is how to turn the double-play.

I'd also much rather see Josh play 2nd base if Viciedo win the 3rd base job instead of any of Gets/Lillibridge/Nix.

I hope you know that won't be happening. I think Fields would be very slow at 2B.

Best case scenario--Fields is adequate at 3B, but has a great year at the plate--30 homers, 90+ RBIs, and Getz and Lillibridge get the job done at 2B. I think Getz is going to be a lot better than people think he will be. He's an excellent contact hitter. I think he'll come up with a ton of big hits.

Viciedo is only 20 this season. Send him to AA with Flowers and Beckham. If any or all of them have good seasons, call them up in September.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
The worry I have with this kid is that he rakes in ST, rakes in April then canot adjust to what pitchers do to him to get him out and we have to send him down to get work and totally ruin his confidence.

This. The only nice thing is that he'd have Alexei and Jose up here to help him out.

The only thing I worry about with Viciedo is that he might end up being a better-hitting version of Edwin Encarnacion. Meaning, I think Viciedo will hit good but give us some errors on defense.

I do think Viciedo will give us better defense at 3rd than Cabrera did for the Tigers last year, sheesh.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)

this was actually talked about quite a bit in the past 2 years or so. kw and ozzie already said that wont be happening. fields cannot play 2nd. that he doesnt have the footwork to play there. does that mean it would be impossible? no but it just isnt happening. if fields and dayan both do great in ST, than if anything you move someone like dye and do something like cq in rf, dayan in lf, fields at 3b etc

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
Whoever says this guy is fat is crazy.. he looked ripped.

hes not fat, but hes chubby...uniforms hide nothing, when you see guys who look fat in uniform out of their uniforms, they look suprisingly smaller...when that kid gets in uniform you'll see hes pretty big....right now is weight isn't an issue anyways, its just a worry moving forward as he ages

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
It's not a big deal, but I've come across one of his threads late and simply couldn't find the article that he was talking about because I got there too late. That is a problem. The easy solution is to give us a direct link to the article he's talking about. Since it's generally good information that most of us are reading, we'll go to the home page because we're interested to see what else is there.

I enjoy the hell out of Cubano's posts, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is a simple solution to a simple problem.

I took your suggestion and I will do just that. I am not mad or anything.

Many thanks to all of you that appreciate my posts.

As for Viciedo BP session, if he hits a bunch of fly balls and ground outs, then we would critize him. It is just BP and the real deal will be facing the wolves in March and April but at least he put a good BP display. When I went to see the Sox in Baltimore, I got there early. I spoke to Contreras and Alexei until Alexei had to take his BP session before the game. He was taking fly balls in CF and he was not the regular because Uribe was at the time. I am not BS here. Alexei put a display in BP. Line drives to CF, RF, LF. I mean solid connections. His BP was better than some stronger guys in the team. I realized this guy had some strength. Viciedo looked that way on this BP session.

I still think Fields should be given the first shot because he is a hard worker and the Sox has invested money and time on him. If the White Sox promised him a real shot, their should keep their word. If he performs, then let him play 3B. If Viciedo does acceptable in ST, I prefer to see him in the big team playing some 3B, RF, DH as oppose as sending him down providing rest to the other guys. You take him slowly so you do not over expose him playing him everyday. I think he will adapt better with the big boys than in the minors. The comfort level will be better with the big boys. All of them know this kid is a newbie and he is very young. Many of the elder players will want to take this kid under their wing.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
this was actually talked about quite a bit in the past 2 years or so. kw and ozzie already said that wont be happening. fields cannot play 2nd. that he doesnt have the footwork to play there. does that mean it would be impossible? no but it just isnt happening. if fields and dayan both do great in ST, than if anything you move someone like dye and do something like cq in rf, dayan in lf, fields at 3b etc

I don't think so. I don't care if both Fields and Viciedo put up OPS' of over .1000. You don't trade a proven guy to make room for an unproven guy just because of a good spring training performance.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't think so. I don't care if both Fields and Viciedo put up OPS' of over .1000. You don't trade a proven guy to make room for an unproven guy just because of a good spring training performance.

i know but thats why i said "if anything". meaning josh fields will not be playing 2b. jd would get traded befor that would happen.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
i know but thats why i said "if anything". meaning josh fields will not be playing 2b. jd would get traded befor that would happen.

That's a shame, cause I think Fields would have an easier time adapting to 2nd base than when they experimented with him in left field. If anything, if he played 2nd base it would mean that Owens would have to be our lead-off hitter in centerfield (unless we signed Orlando Hudson).

This is sort of my dream line-up for this upcoming season as of right now:

1. Owens or Orlando Hudson CF

2. AJ

3. Quentin LF

4. Dye RF

5. Thome DH

6. Konerko 1B

7. Alexei Ramirez SS

8. Dayan Viciedo 3B

9. Fields 2B

Bench:

Wilson Betemit 1B/2B/SS/3B

Brian Anderson OF

Armstrong or Miller C

Getz or Wise

*Rest would be pitchers*

My only concern is that it doesn't seem like we have enough left-handed batters. :-\ And even though it helps that Thome is left-handed, I think it's a burden on the team to carry a player that can only play DH. Once we get rid of Thome, then it'd be nice to have a super-utilty player like Lillibridge take his place in 2010.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
So, let's see, Viciedo is 19 right?

That means if he averages 50 home runs a year for the next 20 years, he should be able to put that record well out of reach of the steroid abusers.

When can we get started?

Hahahhaah, I agree! I honestly think Viciedo will at least surpass Frank Thomas in the all-time home runs list.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
So, let's see, Viciedo is 19 right?

That means if he averages 50 home runs a year for the next 20 years, he should be able to put that record well out of reach of the steroid abusers.

When can we get started?

I like the cut of your jib, Balta.

Like a pack of ravenous dogs, we're all jumping on whatever small bits of info we can get (like this video) to predict the kid's future. Nothing wrong with that, it's slow this time of year.

The anonymous "AL Scout" says he has more hitting ability than Alexei. That, along with Joey and Ozzie's initial evaluations are good enough for me.

I'm hoping we do actually control him beyond the 4 years of the deal, cause the kid just might be a monster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Only if we can work out an extension for him.

Hopefully if we sign Alexei to an extension that it'll make it easier to convince Dayan to sign an extension as well.

I think keeping both Alexei and Dayan in order to keep both of them will be key.