Dayán Viciedo BP Session

Cubano

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
You don't think that the Cuban government wouldn't think about dosing their power hitters on their national team?

International baseball is ruled by IBAF testing. Viciedo was in the junior team. Olympic sports are tested way better than MLB players.

Viciedo will turn 20 soon. I do not remember by I think his birthday is in March.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Hopefully if we sign Alexei to an extension that it'll make it easier to convince Dayan to sign an extension as well.

I think keeping both Alexei and Dayan in order to keep both of them will be key.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we ? We should know when spring games start if this kid has any promise.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
If only he'd be around to guarantee his prediction.

What are your plans for the next 15-20 years while we wait?

LOL, ok, fair enough, I created a signature and I will personally try and keep track of Viciedo's home runs in terms of beating Frank's record. It'll be something that will make me root for Viciedo even more, lol. :-D

If my prediction turns out to be wrong, then I'll admit that I was a douche.

But then again... I keep thinking that Viciedo will hit "only" 449 home runs to beat Frank. Lets do it, Dayan!!!

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
1. Owens or Orlando Hudson CF

2. AJ

3. Quentin LF

4. Dye RF

5. Thome DH

6. Konerko 1B

7. Alexei Ramirez SS

8. Dayan Viciedo 3B

9. Fields 2B

Do people not remember that Hudson is generally considered a pretty damn good defensive 2B?

If the Sox sign Hudson, Brian Anderson sure as hell better be starting in CF, because his defense alone could win the Sox 2-4 games, and I don't think his bat is so poor that he would cost the Sox a ton of games with it either.

The far most likely scenario sees Viciedo in AA or AAA, Fields at 3B, Getz at 2B, and Owens in CF to start the year. If the Sox can deal Dye and sign Abreu or if they can sign Hudson, Owens should be in AAA or on some other team, Getz should be in AAA or on the bench, and Brian Anderson should be in CF.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Well, they gave Viciedo a big league uniform number--good ole number 24.

Looks like all the new players got numbers

Betemit - 15

Colon - 40

Allen - 60

Jimenez - 57

Lillibridge - 18

Link - 61

Marquez - 48

Nix - 5

Nunez - 65

Santeliz - 63

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Do people not remember that Hudson is generally considered a pretty damn good defensive 2B?

If the Sox sign Hudson, Brian Anderson sure as hell better be starting in CF, because his defense alone could win the Sox 2-4 games, and I don't think his bat is so poor that he would cost the Sox a ton of games with it either.

The far most likely scenario sees Viciedo in AA or AAA, Fields at 3B, Getz at 2B, and Owens in CF to start the year. If the Sox can deal Dye and sign Abreu or if they can sign Hudson, Owens should be in AAA or on some other team, Getz should be in AAA or on the bench, and Brian Anderson should be in CF.

Oh I'm aware that Hudson's a very good defensive 2nd baseman. I only came up with that lineup scenario with the thought of "What if both Viciedo and Fields are on the team?" I would assume that Josh would have an easier time adjusting to 2nd base than the outfield, so if he was on 2nd and Viciedo was at 3rd, then that would mean CF is the only place Hudson could've theoretically been slotted in.

However... you can also argue that in the small chance that Viciedo plays 3rd AND Fields play 2nd that Brian Anderson should automatically play CF. But, if we had Viciedo/Fields/Anderson in the everyday lineup, then who would be the lead-off hitter?

That was the only reason why I hoped for a Hudson signing in the first lineup scenario, because I think Hudson can help the team out in the #1 and #2 spots in the lineup more than Anderson ever could.

If we end up having some sort of Fields/Viciedo platoon at 3rd, then I guess Getz would be at 2nd and Owens would be at CF as our lead-off hitter.

...I also hope we get someone else to hit in the #2 spot besides AJ, but it seems like with the logjam of guys like Thome/Konerko/Dye that we are handcuffed in terms of getting the types of hitters we really need.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Looks like all the new players got numbers

Betemit - 15

Colon - 40

Allen - 60

Jimenez - 57

Lillibridge - 18

Link - 61

Marquez - 48

Nix - 5

Nunez - 65

Santeliz - 63

Ah, I see Marquez STOLE my number, 48! I can either jeer on him or cheer for him.

...I think I'll cheer him on. :)

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
Oh I'm aware that Hudson's a very good defensive 2nd baseman. I only came up with that lineup scenario with the thought of "What if both Viciedo and Fields are on the team?" I would assume that Josh would have an easier time adjusting to 2nd base than the outfield, so if he was on 2nd and Viciedo was at 3rd, then that would mean CF is the only place Hudson could've theoretically been slotted in.

However... you can also argue that in the small chance that Viciedo plays 3rd AND Fields play 2nd that Brian Anderson should automatically play CF. But, if we had Viciedo/Fields/Anderson in the everyday lineup, then who would be the lead-off hitter?

That was the only reason why I hoped for a Hudson signing in the first lineup scenario, because I think Hudson can help the team out in the #1 and #2 spots in the lineup more than Anderson ever could.

If we end up having some sort of Fields/Viciedo platoon at 3rd, then I guess Getz would be at 2nd and Owens would be at CF as our lead-off hitter.

...I also hope we get someone else to hit in the #2 spot besides AJ, but it seems like with the logjam of guys like Thome/Konerko/Dye that we are handcuffed in terms of getting the types of hitters we really need.

I will almost guarantee that unless Viciedo is playing in the OF or one of Fields and Viciedo is at 1B or DH, you'll never see the two in the same lineup at the same time. The only way I see it happening is if the Sox have a game like they had in Oakland where everyone gets ejected and Dye ends up playing SS.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Based on his size? Dude, look at Juan Uribe's stocky/chubby build, and he's a very good shortstop. Being a thick guy (and he is) isn't a definite sentence for 1B. No way we have any idea about this until we see him on the field.

I don't care where you want to "see" the guy... If I ran into his ass at the supermarket, I would tell you he is a first baseman.

Chipper Jones is 6'4/210 and very solid defensively, Troy Glaus is 6'4/240 and just had a good year defensively and Adrian Beltre is 6'0/230 and is regarded as one of the best defensive 3b in the game, it's not about your size.

Edited by Jimmywins1