Dayán Viciedo BP Session

Cubano

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...until anyone faces live pitching, I don't think we can make any determinations.

I'd like to see how well he moves before we consign him to 1B/DH or possibly LF, but I'll continue to hold out hope he can play 3B or RF...although I imagine it might be more logical to move Quentin back to where he feels more comfortable.

OTOH, have a nice/plus arm in LF and a better defender in RF might give our outfield defense (along with Anderson/Owens/Lillibridge in CF) something we haven't seen much of in recent years...an above-average defensive OF.

I just don't get the sense yet (until we see him play) about his range/first-step quickness at 3B or about his ability to read fly balls. I'll remain hopeful that he can continue to turn baby fat into muscle and that we get something better than Miggy Cabrera defensively.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
He looked good I guess? Most minor league players can look good taking measly BP. Sure, he some line drives as you could see from the reverse angle, but go by some high school playing fields and guys are raking. I won't be ready to make any judgment about his readiness for the Majors until I see him live in ST against real pitchers. I am sure Borchard put on quite the show during BP and look where it got him.

Amen.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
Dude is a first baseman.

Based on his size? Dude, look at Juan Uribe's stocky/chubby build, and he's a very good shortstop. Being a thick guy (and he is) isn't a definite sentence for 1B. No way we have any idea about this until we see him on the field.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
Anyone that size is due to be a 1B within 3 seasons. You just don't have the flexibility to stay a MLB-level 3B when you're as big as that.

Konerko, Thome, Pujols, Bagwell, Sheffield, Bonilla, and Palmer all moved from 3B.

Wasn't Konerko a catcher? I get your point though, and the switch is likley if he continues to grow. It also depends on whether Fields progresses at the position.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
Anyone that size is due to be a 1B within 3 seasons. You just don't have the flexibility to stay a MLB-level 3B when you're as big as that.

Konerko, Thome, Pujols, Bagwell, Sheffield, Bonilla, and Palmer all moved from 3B.

I dunno, he looks a lot like Adrian Beltre to me(in his build), and Beltre is one of the best 3Bs out there.

like someone else said, this arguement over 3B or 1B or OF, or whatever is pointless until someone actually sees him fielding.

As for his hitting, it looks like he knows what he's doing there, and he's got a lot of pop. I personally could care less about the little things in his swing as long as he knows what he's doing, has a good approach, is comfortable, and hits the s*** out of the ball. There's been plenty of hitters who didn't do everything "fundamentally" regarding their swing, but still hit the s*** out of the ball.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Wasn't Konerko a catcher? I get your point though, and the switch is likley if he continues to grow. It also depends on whether Fields progresses at the position.

Yep, Konerko was drafted as a catcher, but only played his first two pro seasons there. After that, he got moved around from 1B, 3B, to LF, but mainly played 1B. We even played him a little at 3B, but that was probably during interleague play and we had to make room for him and Thomas.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
dont like the redirect through his homepage? LOL

OK, guys. I certainly understand where are you coming from.

Keep in mind that I do not come here every day to bombard you guys with my Cuban crap. I do not want you guys to hate us, but to love us. Ha, ha, ha.

I only come every time something may interest you the most. Having said that, I spend lots of time updating my blog. Obviosuly, I am trying to raise the profile and knowledge of Cuban players for the better of them. Maybe, some of you do not relate to this, but I certainly do. The reason I started my blog is because we are treated different than the rest of the world for the bad. I hope to make a small difference, but sometimes I feel I am in a losing battle with the baseball establisment. I have seen improvements though. I have seen article with the correct info on defectors now. In the past, all Cuban players played in the National team. After they bombed, Cubans were bad. :unsure:

I have videos about other Cuban defectors there. If I inform you about Viciedo once, then I do not have to come back here and let you know I have videos about Yadel Marti and Yasser Gomez in my site because you probably see it once you went to see Viciedo.

I have met baseball agents, historians, journalists, etc on these forums. I am trying to get their attention. I hope an extra click is not too much burden on some of you guys. You never know who is behind a computer. Maybe KW or one of his surrogates is a member of soxtalk. :gosox1:

I appologize for any extra click I may cause in advance.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)

Keep in mind that I do not come here every day to bombard you guys with my Cuban crap. I do not want you guys to hate us, but to love us. Ha, ha, ha.

I only come every time something may interest you the most. Having said that, I spend lots of time updating my blog. Obviosuly, I am trying to raise the profile and knowledge of Cuban players for the better of them. Maybe, some of you do not relate to this, but I certainly do. The reason I started my blog is because we are treated different than the rest of the world for the bad. I hope to make a small difference, but sometimes I feel I am in a losing battle with the baseball establisment. I have seen improvements though. I have seen article with the correct info on defectors now. In the past, all Cuban players played in the National team. After they bombed, Cubans were bad. :unsure:

I have videos about other Cuban defectors there. If I inform you about Viciedo once, then I do not have to come back here and let you know I have videos about Yadel Marti and Yasser Gomez in my site because you probably see it once you went to see Viciedo.

I have met baseball agents, historians, journalists, etc on these forums. I am trying to get their attention. I hope an extra click is not too much burden on some of you guys. You never know who is behind a computer. Maybe KW or one of his surrogates is a member of soxtalk. :gosox1:

Your blog is in your signature, we have seen it and appreciate it. There is no need to funnel the posts through your site everytime you post an article on Soxtalk that you have already hyperlinked on your own site. Maybe your signature bigger if you want more people going to your site, or as Bob suggested, complete the hyperlink so we can go directly to the posted article instead of searching for it on your blog if we come to the thread late and it is already pushed down the page

This isnt a battle against the establishment for us, we are fans of the Chicago White Sox

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
AAA or the big leagues.

He's what, 19 or 20? I say we lower our expectations a bit and plan on him being in AA (maybe even single A) and go from there. It all depends on how he does in spring training, but if the season started next week and we had to set all the rosters, Viciedo would be in A Ball.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
He's what, 19 or 20? I say we lower our expectations a bit and plan on him being in AA (maybe even single A) and go from there. It all depends on how he does in spring training, but if the season started next week and we had to set all the rosters, Viciedo would be in A Ball.

The thing to remember is we only have him on a 4 year contract. We get him for 4 years no matter what level he's at, then he becomes a FA. If he spends 3 years in the minors, we'd get virtually no time of him in the big leagues before he's a FA. We gain no time by keeping him in the minors. It actually behooves the sox to rush him, because it's our best shot at recouping our investment.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
The thing to remember is we only have him on a 4 year contract. We get him for 4 years no matter what level he's at, then he becomes a FA. If he spends 3 years in the minors, we'd get virtually no time of him in the big leagues before he's a FA. We gain no time by keeping him in the minors. It actually behooves the sox to rush him, because it's our best shot at recouping our investment.

Has it been confirmed the White Sox agreed to waive his arb? I know its regularly done with players from Cuba and Japan, but perhaps because of his age, they held on to that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Has it been confirmed the White Sox agreed to waive his arb? I know its regularly done with players from Cuba and Japan, but perhaps because of his age, they held on to that.

Yes. He signed a $10 million(or so) 4 year deal. The only way that would work out to a 4 year deal is if the sox signed that standard "we'll release you after x years" clause. Otherwise it couldn't be a 4 year deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Yes. He signed a $10 million(or so) 4 year deal. The only way that would work out to a 4 year deal is if the sox signed that standard "we'll release you after x years" clause. Otherwise it couldn't be a 4 year deal.

Why not? They usually have 6 years of control. They basically would be buying out 1 year of arb?

Dick Allen is right on this one. Just because it's been reported as a 4 year, $10M deal doesn't necessarily mean the contract contains a standard release clause. I'd venture to guess that it does but there's been no confirmation in the media that I can find. Draftees such as Rick Porcello and Andrew Miller have signed 4 year major league contracts but they'll be arbitration eligible when those deals are up.

I can't see Jaime Torres accepting any offer that didn't include a release clause simply because a 1 month stint in the minors to start the 2009 season would result in his client being under team control for 7 years or through his age 26 season.

I can't recall a single big time international player signing a major league deal that didn't include a release clause. I know Takashi Saito didn't have one but that was a minor league deal.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)

Hey Cubano...I for one really appreciate everything you've put out there. Your an asset to this forum and I look forward to many more of your posts!!!! And thats coming from the owner :)