JOE.CREDE. = Twinkie

Kyyle23

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Brace yourselves sox fans. Joe Crede will be a Minnesota Twin so get start getting used to it.

It's not a great fit for Joe. Staying in the American League is not going to help, especially when he received an offer from an NL club, going down a level could have given his numbers a nice bump. Playing half his games on concrete is not going to help his chronic debilitating back problems, only increase the likelihood that he has his 3rd straight season with under 100 GP. He's a big time flyball hitter, nearly 70% of his batted balls end up in the air so he won't be taking advantage of the Metrodome's #1 comodity, it's incredibly fast infield.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
Please shut up about it. We didn't ofer arbitration so I believe we can't negoiate with him until May.

its crazy how some ppl just cant move on. the guy could have his leg amputated and ppl will still say we should sign him! cant they comprehend that the guy has a bad back and isnt the player he once was? jeez!

It's not a great fit for Joe. Staying in the American League is not going to help, especially when he received an offer from an NL club, going down a level could have given his numbers a nice bump. Playing half his games on concrete is not going to help his debilitating chronic back problems, only increase the likelihood that he has his 3rd straight season with under 100 GP. He's a big time flyball hitter, nearly 70% of his batted balls end up in the air so he won't being taking advantage of the Metrodome's #1 comodity, it's incredibly fast infield.

Freaking computer keeps crashing. You beat me to it. Here's what I was trying to post.

Take a look at the Twins' signings of veteran MLB players these past few offseasons:

2008 Season:

Adam Everett: 1 year, $2.8 million: 48 games: .213/.278/.323

Mike Lamb: 2 years, $6.6 million: 81 games: .233/.276/.322 released in September. Twins are paying for most of his salary to play for the Brewers

Livan Hernandez: 1 year, $5 million: 139.7 innings: 1.63 WHIP,5.48 ERA DFA in July

They also traded a Cy Young candidate for a guy who can only hit the Sox.

If KW pissed away that much of our budget and giving away our ace for garbage, we'd be calling for his head losing the division on the last day of the season.

2007 Season:

Sidney Ponson: 1 year, $1 million: 37.7 innings, 1.89 WHIP, 6.93 ERA released twice in May.

Ramon Ortiz: 1 year, $3.1 million: 91 innings, 1.40 WHIP, 5.14 ERA DFA in August

2006 Season:

Tony Batista: 1 year, $1.25 million: 50 games, .236/.303/.388 released in June.

Ron"DL" White: 2 years, $5 million: 2006: 99 games, .246/.276/.365 2007: 38 games: .174/.235/.321

All that wasted cash and all they have to show for it is Dennys Reyes

How exactly does Slow Crediocre fit in with their style of play? Can't run, lost his fielding ability, can't bunt and he his a TON of pop ups.

I can't wait to see him fail.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
The Twinkie Dome is a terrible place for Crede to hit. It's deep to left and left center, and caters to players who can drive the ball to right field. As the stats show, Crede's one of the worst in baseball with regards to opposite field power.

I totally forgot about that too. Joe Crede has 125 career HR 90% of which were hit to left field. He's hit 8 to CF and 4 to RF in his career. He pulled every one of his 21 HR over the past 2 seasons.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
It's not a great fit for Joe. Staying in the American League is not going to help, especially when he received an offer from an NL club, going down a level could have given his numbers a nice bump. Playing half his games on concrete is not going to help his debilitating chronic back problems, only increase the likelihood that he has his 3rd straight season with under 100 GP. He's a big time flyball hitter, nearly 70% of his batted balls end up in the air so he won't be taking advantage of the Metrodome's #1 comodity, it's incredibly fast infield.

well im sure it wasnt his 1st choice to go there or anything but he probly doesnt have much of a choice. either he takes more money with minn or takes less with the giants and thats it. well hes taking the money

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
It's not a great fit for Joe. Staying in the American League is not going to help, especially when he received an offer from an NL club, going down a level could have given his numbers a nice bump. Playing half his games on concrete is not going to help his debilitating chronic back problems, only increase the likelihood that he has his 3rd straight season with under 100 GP. He's a big time flyball hitter, nearly 70% of his batted balls end up in the air so he won't be taking advantage of the Metrodome's #1 comodity, it's incredibly fast infield.

I was totally gonna say the same thing. I love Joe for what he did here but honestly I dont think he will be a significant factor in Minnesota because of that surface he is playing on. If you have constant back problems you want to play on a soft field as much as possible to absorb some of the shock that your body exerts. Playing on that hard field is not gonna be friendly on his back. But hey if the Twins wanna pay him the money he wants then more power to em.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
well im sure it wasnt his 1st choice to go there or anything but he probly doesnt have much of a choice. either he takes more money with minn or takes less with the giants and thats it. well hes taking the money

And I don't blame him. With his back there are no guarantees for next season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)
Well, that guarantees us a s***ty season versus Minnesota again.

He is a fricking clutch hitter. He will abuse our staff, especially our pen.

What a joke.

We got to face him 19 times? f***.

He is a pull hitter. Throw him low and away and the only thing he will do is keep our 2nd baseman busy with popups. Plus this is turf + his back. He wont face us 19 games. Relax.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)
Well, that guarantees us a s***ty season versus Minnesota again.

He is a fricking clutch hitter. He will abuse our staff, especially our pen.

What a joke.

We got to face him 19 times? f***.

Can you prove this? I'll take any form of statistical proof, any. I'll even take splits stats even if they are unreliable. It's funny because a lot of very smart baseball people are of the belief that there is no such thing as a "clutch" hitter, just good hitters who do good things in big situations because they're good but even when a Sabermetrician like Bill James or Nate Silver attempts to quantify "clutch hitting" Joe Crede's name NEVER comes up. I've seen Mike Sweeney (the perpetually injured) and Chipper Jones (the great) and even Geoff Jenkins (the average) but never Joe Crede. The only people who seem to believe that he's anything more than a mediocre offensive player are Sox fans and Hawk but none of these people ever bother to back up this belief, just perpetuate it as fact. I've mentioned this in the past and no one has ever bothered to acknowledge it, could it be that the man has just come through in a few very memorable "clutch" situations and this has berthed an undeserved reputation? (it would hardly be the first time)

Oh and his 0.5 BB/K and .267/.325/.435/.760 career line against relief pitching hardly scares me, Linebrink and Dotel will handle him just fine.

Yeah, I know it's blasphemy but I'm not fearing the crippled, pull hitting, popup machine. Just looking now, Bill James has him down for 302 AB, 14 HR, 0.5 BB/K, .255/.312/.447/.759 next year. Look out.

Even battling back issues, Crede's third base defense is among the game's best. Last year he saved 13 more bases than the average third baseman despite missing a third of the season.

Where do they get this crap (mlbtraderumors, although I'm sure it was from another silly defensive metric)??? Seriously, there's no neat/simple/compact way to objectify defense, zone ratings, whatever. Crede was a below average defensive 3B for most of last season. I don't care what they say. Maybe because they remember him from 2005, they watch, I don't know, Josh Fields, and assume that every ball getting by Fields would have been stopped/prevented by Crede.

I'm more worried about Juan Cruz in Minnesota as their RH set-up guy than I am Crede replacing Buscher/Harris at 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 03:43 AM)
Even battling back issues, Crede's third base defense is among the game's best. Last year he saved 13 more bases than the average third baseman despite missing a third of the season.

Where do they get this crap (mlbtraderumors, although I'm sure it was from another silly defensive metric)??? Seriously, there's no neat/simple/compact way to objectify defense, zone ratings, whatever. Crede was a below average defensive 3B for most of last season. I don't care what they say. Maybe because they remember him from 2005, they watch, I don't know, Josh Fields, and assume that every ball getting by Fields would have been stopped/prevented by Crede.

I'm more worried about Juan Cruz in Minnesota as their RH set-up guy than I am Crede replacing Buscher/Harris at 3B.

They probably used RngR or Range Runs. It doesn't make a lot of sense because the guy at MLBTR didn't go all the way. He gives the number of runs Crede supposedly saved (RngR) but not the number he allowed thanks to his 20 errors (ErrR). Subtract ErrR from RngR and you have UZR or his Ultimate Zone Rating which came out to 9.4 runs saved if you extrapolate it out to a 150 game season. Problem is, ErrR fails to take into account the 10 or so balls he missplayed that should have been ruled errors but weren't because the official scorers f***ing suck.