JOE.CREDE. = Twinkie

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Joe hit .248 last year and .239 in 2004 so if he somehow managed to get 476 AB .236 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. We're comparing Fields to a hitter with a .306 career OBP and 5.8% (4.6% in 2006) walk rate, it shouldn't be too hard for Josh to top that.

I don't know. When Fields was supposedly awesome, his OBP was .308. .303 for his career.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
I don't know. When Fields was supposedly awesome, his OBP was .308. .303 for his career.

Hey matching Crede's career number in his rookie season can only be a good thing. If he could match his 2007 batting average while improving upon his 8.6% walk rate from that season he's going to be a very valuable player.

Say a fictional player has 5 at-bats throughout a game and does the following, strikeout, ground into double play, strikeout, strikeout, single to knock in the game winning run. Pretty impressive to knock in that game winning run right? What i forgot to mention is this player also stranded 7 runners on base, with a chance to either tie or put his time ahead each and every time he came up to the plate. People that preach clutch fail to realize that games can be won and lost just as easily in the middle of a game and even at times in the very first inning. Short term memory would suggest the ''clutch'' factor. I personally do not fall for it. While i would be grateful for the hit a free pass would not be handed out like candy.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Say a fictional player has 5 at-bats throughout a game and does the following, strikeout, ground into double play, strikeout, strikeout, single to knock in the game winning run. Pretty impressive to knock in that game winning run right? What i forgot to mention is this player also stranded 7 runners on base, with a chance to either tie or put his time ahead each and every time he came up to the plate. People that preach clutch fail to realize that games can be won and lost just as easily in the middle of a game and even at times in the very first inning. Short term memory would suggest the ''clutch'' factor. I personally do not fall for it. While i would be grateful for the hit a free pass would not be handed out like candy.

It's the opposite of the "Thome factor". All those runs he drives in for the first 8/9 of the game mean little because once the 9th roles around all he's good for is a K or a walk. (unless the game is being played in Pittsburgh)

Yeah that's true. Everyone is grateful for the player getting it done in his last at bat. But getting the job done in his 2nd or 3rd at bat might've resulted the same. The only difference is the scenarios throughout the game would change if he got a 2 RBI double in the 5th and who knows how the other team would respond.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Sorry, but Perry, while he was good for a short period of time with Sox, doesn't match up to either Ventura or Crede when it comes to quality, long term performance at 3B. I'll tip my hat to Perry, but he doesn't rate near as high in my opinion as the other two.

Joke.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
I fear that Fields is going to get a lot of undeserved hatred this season from a LOT of fans because he took Crede's spot. He's going to have to be perfect to gain a decent following.

I imagine he'll get more hatred from casual fans then us, but yeah, he's going to have a tough time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I fear that Fields is going to get a lot of undeserved hatred this season from a LOT of fans because he took Crede's spot. He's going to have to be perfect to gain a decent following.

For a guy who on Sept. 14 2007 was hitting .228 with a .289 OBP, he got a lot of love last year. Everyone wanted Crede gone. I think even Crede's biggest fans realize it was time for the White Sox to move on. I don't think Fields is better. Hopefully Viciedo is.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)

Just wait until until the Twins face us, Fields goes 0-3 and strands five, whereas Crede goes 3-4 with 2HR and 4 Rbis. People will lose it, and I'll be right there to instigate the trouble.

Crede should never hit against us considering his weaknesses, which are fairly noticeable in "I can't hit a pitch anywhere on the outside edge of the plate." Buehrle should own him.

What annoys me though is, like Rowand, he'll be rumored to return here for YEARS to come. Even if third base is filled by Fields, or Crede is all but out of baseball and hanging by a thread, we'll hear "he should end his career with the team that brought him up," or "give him a spring training invite and battle out for the third base position. Low risk, high reward!!1"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
For a guy who on Sept. 14 2007 was hitting .228 with a .289 OBP, he got a lot of love last year. Everyone wanted Crede gone. I think even Crede's biggest fans realize it was time for the White Sox to move on. I don't think Fields is better. Hopefully Viciedo is.

Well lucky for Josh the season doesn't end in mid-September. And that .229/.283/.433/.716 line Josh had through September 14th as a 24 year old (before finishing the season with a 1.295 OPS over his final 56 PA) isn't far off from the .239/.299/.418/.717 line Crede put up as a 26 year old.

Oh if only the season lasted from the beginning of June to mid September the .296/.337/.428/.765 line Brian put up over that exact same span in '06 would have earned him the starting gig in '07 and we never would have had to see Darin Erstad in a White Sox uniform.

This post is the rebuttal (correctly) to all of those in this thread and in the White Sox fanbase who think Joe Crede is the 2nd coming of Mr. Jesus Christ. Crede did have many big hits in big spots late in games, but just because he had a lot of 7th to 9th inning hits that drove in runs and helped win games doesn't make him any better than, say, Jim Thome. There are A LOT of baseball games that are won (and lost) by events that occur in the first three innings.

That is part of what makes baseball great is it's the one sport moreso than all others where you have to watch the entire game because the events that decide who wins and loses can happen at any time, as opposed to football and basketball where the game more often than not is decided in the 4th quarter. I would bet in many of the games where Joe Crede "saved our ass" with a big hit late, he was 0 for 4 or 1 for 5 or something like that heading into the at bat. If he had been 2 for 4 or 3 for 5, maybe we wouldn't have needed that "big hit."

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Elrock and greg775 disagree.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Well lucky for Josh the season doesn't end in mid-September. And that .229/.283/.433/.716 line Josh had through September 14th as a 24 year old (before finishing the season with a 1.295 OPS over his final 56 PA) isn't far off from the .239/.299/.418/.717 line Crede put up as a 26 year old.

Oh if only the season lasted from the beginning of June to mid September the .296/.337/.428/.765 line Brian put up over that exact same span in '06 would have earned him the starting gig in '07 and we never would have had to see Darin Erstad in a White Sox uniform.

When Crede was 24 he put up some decent numbers too.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
They're the people who are running baseball teams, the people who make millions just to hold the title of adviser or consultant. They're people like Dayton Moore, Theo Epstein or Jack Zduriencik, the sort of baseball minds that teams are hiring to construct their organizations these days. Despite not playing or managing at the major league level they're winning championships or like the Rays coming damn close and threatening to stick around for a while. It's the reason why teams are hiring 35 year old Harvard grads to run their organizations and moving away from the crusty old baseball guy.

And don't forget DePodesta.

One of those guys is playing fantasy baseball with monopoly money, while the jury is still out on the other two. (okay, maybe that's a little harsh on epstein. He does seem like a pretty savvy guy).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
This post is the rebuttal (correctly) to all of those in this thread and in the White Sox fanbase who think Joe Crede is the 2nd coming of Mr. Jesus Christ. Crede did have many big hits in big spots late in games, but just because he had a lot of 7th to 9th inning hits that drove in runs and helped win games doesn't make him any better than, say, Jim Thome. There are A LOT of baseball games that are won (and lost) by events that occur in the first three innings.

That is part of what makes baseball great is it's the one sport moreso than all others where you have to watch the entire game because the events that decide who wins and loses can happen at any time, as opposed to football and basketball where the game more often than not is decided in the 4th quarter. I would bet in many of the games where Joe Crede "saved our ass" with a big hit late, he was 0 for 4 or 1 for 5 or something like that heading into the at bat. If he had been 2 for 4 or 3 for 5, maybe we wouldn't have needed that "big hit."

What makes it even funnier is the assumption that everytime Crede got a big hit he basically was making up for f***ing up earlier. Let's go back to the 2005 ALCS. Game 1 he was 1-4 with a homer. The Sox lost 3-2. Joe f***ed up. The one time up he was huge, but if he would have homered 4 times the Sox would have won. Game 2 when he doubled in Ozuna for the winner he was only 2-4 with 2 doubles. In the clincher he only drove in the first run. Then he homered to tie it up in the 7th. Then he drove in the go ahead and winning run in the 8th. I suppose if he would have done something in his second AB he wouldn't have had to come up big. Joe is not a HOFer. He was drafted by the White Sox. He played hurt, didn't complain, kept his mouth shut, and helped the White Sox win. I really find it odd people have a problem with him. He earned his paycheck. That can't be said about everyone.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
And don't forget DePodesta.

One of those guys is playing fantasy baseball with monopoly money, while the jury is still out on the other two. (okay, maybe that's a little harsh on epstein. He does seem like a pretty savvy guy).

The Red Sox might be the best run organization in baseball.

here's the quote for the day:

“It’s nice for him to play, obviously don’t want to face him all the time,” White Sox ace Mark Buehrle said. “I think it’s going to be tough playing 80 games on turf. I don’t how that’s going to hold up on his back. Obviously we’ll see. Hopefully he’s going to be healthy all year. Hopefully he doesn’t help them out too much.”

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
What makes it even funnier is the assumption that everytime Crede got a big hit he basically was making up for f***ing up earlier. Let's go back to the 2005 ALCS. Game 1 he was 1-4 with a homer. The Sox lost 3-2. Joe f***ed up. The one time up he was huge, but if he would have homered 4 times the Sox would have won. Game 2 when he doubled in Ozuna for the winner he was only 2-4 with 2 doubles. In the clincher he only drove in the first run. Then he homered to tie it up in the 7th. Then he drove in the go ahead and winning run in the 8th. I suppose if he would have done something in his second AB he wouldn't have had to come up big. Joe is not a HOFer. He was drafted by the White Sox. He played hurt, didn't complain, kept his mouth shut, and helped the White Sox win. I really find it odd people have a problem with him. He earned his paycheck. That can't be said about everyone.

His lifetime .257 batting average and .306 on base percentage, as well as numerous other stats which seem irrelevant to point out since "stats don't matter", suggest that for the vast majority of Joe Crede's career, a late game hit simply was making up for earlier game f*** ups. Yes, he was great late in 2005, during the 2005 postseason, and for the first 5 months of 2006 at the plate. We don't win the World Series without him and i'm grateful to him for that. He also fielded very well for the most part during his White Sox career. Odds are, Josh Fields will be playing 3rd base and thus, we'll miss Crede's defense. But if Fields can even match just his 2007 offensive numbers (and I think he can), then Joe Crede's bat won't be missed at all, even assuming he stays healthy in Minnesota (which he won't.) We'll miss his glove (the healthy version of it anyways), but that's about it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Not from me. I don't blame Fields and I wish him the best. I hope he outperforms Joe by a bunch now that Joe is gone.

I don't want Joe to excel just so I can say I was right.

I just truly as a Sox fan fear him strolling to the plate against us. I really really do.

The guy can hit.

And if he is in the game, he's gonna rob CQ and Lexi of some rockets down the line.

Yes I think Joe Crede is a god. So shoot me.

But in no way will I root against Fields. It's his time and I want him to excel and us to win.

I just truly fear Joe.