JOE.CREDE. = Twinkie

Kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Am I missing something in that Kaz Matsui thread that Knightni just brought up? I have looked it over 3 times, and I cannot find a Kalapse comment about Crede

yeah me neither...shipps is lost...shipps dont like being lost...shipps gets lost alot.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Am I missing something in that Kaz Matsui thread that Knightni just brought up? I have looked it over 3 times, and I cannot find a Kalapse comment about Crede

He said that he wanted to see a negative comment about Crede.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
He said that he wanted to see a negative comment about Crede.

Oh, I assumed Kalapse meant "find me a negative comment from myself" not just any old negative comment. I mean, if that was the case then you didnt have to dig up a thread years old, there has been some negativity in recent threads towards Crede

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

That's because there isn't one, I don't think Knight was actually trying to add anything to this discussion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I don't think he's a false idol. Except for last year (hopefully he'll continue to be weak with the glove with the Twinks) he was a great great fielder. As a Sox fan I loved the fact we had such a reliable glove at third. I personally don't think Josh is a reliable glove. We'll see.

I'm never going to pour over ever stat like most of the younger crowd does. The wild stats.

All I know is as a fan I loved his defense (maybe last year is a sign he is through; we'll see) and I loved his bat when he got hot. I also loved his contributions to the title.

If Josh is ready to take over, great.

I want him to succeed because like everybody else whether the Sox win or lose pretty much dictates my mood during the summer.

And I don't disagree with a single damn thing in there, it's all correct. None of that makes him a god, it makes him a player who before he started experiencing debilitating back pain was a valuable commodity, a World Series MVP snub and a fan favorite. Fearing his wrath, longing for his return or exaggerating his worth is not necessary, appreciating him for what he was and admiring him for what he helped that '05 team accomplish should be more than enough.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Honestly, you can look at about just about any player and see their numbers are way better when the are "in the catbird seat."

No s***? Really? I didn't even look at the numbers, I was just trying to figure out how a guy who has a career OBP of .306 has the reputation as being Captain Clutch. Obviously, some guys are better dead red hitters than others, and I am speculating that Crede is one of them.

Also, make Joe Crede Black, Hispanic, Cuban, whatever, anything but White and no one would give a damn about him. Outside of '06 his numbers are awful comparable to Uribe's. Both are above average defensively, both suck at hitting but have streaky pop where they can carry a team for a week or so. Neither can get on base to save their soul. The only difference is one has 500 fans in the stands wearing his jersey, and the other had maybe five people wearing number fives out there. And for clarification I am a white guy.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
No s***? Really? I didn't even look at the numbers, I was just trying to figure out how a guy who has a career OBP of .306 has the reputation as being Captain Clutch. Obviously, some guys are better dead red hitters than others, and I am speculating that Crede is one of them.

Also, make Joe Crede Black, Hispanic, Cuban, whatever, anything but White and no one would give a damn about him. Outside of '06 his numbers are awful comparable to Uribe's. Both are above average defensively, both suck at hitting but have streaky pop where they can carry a team for a week or so. Neither can get on base to save their soul. The only difference is one has 500 fans in the stands wearing his jersey, and the other had maybe five people wearing number fives out there. And for clarification I am a white guy.

Keep me out of your broadbrush painting, tyvm

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)

Or imagine there was such a thing as a similar, stick-figurish white Alexei Ramirez who literally came out of nowhere like Roy Hobbs and helped lead the White Sox to the pennant, lol. Or that Contreras was white and not Cuban in 05/06.

It's interesting that the three most debated players around here are Crede, Rowand and Brian Anderson. Maybe it's just pure randomness or chance, I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, Rowand's current contract and 2008 performance has shut up a lot of the comments about his grinder/leader/vocal personality (starting with the Carl Everett remarks about the lack of leadership post 05).

Although personally, I this phenomenon happens a lot more in college and to a lesser extent in pro basketball....Tyler Hansborough, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Danny Hurley, JJ Reddick (this is my chance to pick on Duke and Vitale, lol)...or the deification of players like Nash, Nowitzski and John Stockton.

I do think it's also much easier for the "average Joe Trucker" fans to associate with someone who is white, could be them (their size/color) and speaks their own language. That's human nature, largely. Of course, there are athletes like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods that transcend color to an extent, and everyone at least wants to Be Like Them.

Or even in the last 20-30 years, most Sox fans will say that Melton or Crede or Rowand or Kittle or Fisk or Ventura or McDowell was their favorite player. Frank Thomas and Griffey, Jr., will go down probably as the two greatest natural hitters of their generation, yet neither has really been appreciated very much (for a multitude of reasons, not just race) around the country over the past decade. You could also lump Dick Allen into this group.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
Or imagine there was such a thing as a similar, stick-figurish white Alexei Ramirez who literally came out of nowhere like Roy Hobbs and helped lead the White Sox to the pennant, lol. Or that Contreras was white and not Cuban in 05/06.

It's interesting that the three most debated players around here are Crede, Rowand and Brian Anderson. Maybe it's just pure randomness or chance, I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, Rowand's current contract and 2008 performance has shut up a lot of the comments about his grinder/leader/vocal personality (starting with the Carl Everett remarks about the lack of leadership post 05).

Although personally, I this phenomenon happens a lot more in college and to a lesser extent in pro basketball....Tyler Hansborough, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Danny Hurley, JJ Reddick (this is my chance to pick on Duke and Vitale, lol)...or the deification of players like Nash, Nowitzski and John Stockton.

I do think it's also much easier for the "average Joe Trucker" fans to associate with someone who is white, could be them (their size/color) and speaks their own language. That's human nature, largely. Of course, there are athletes like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods that transcend color to an extent, and everyone at least wants to Be Like Them.

Or even in the last 20-30 years, most Sox fans will say that Melton or Crede or Rowand or Kittle or Fisk or Ventura or McDowell was their favorite player. Frank Thomas and Griffey, Jr., will go down probably as the two greatest natural hitters of their generation, yet neither has really been appreciated very much (for a multitude of reasons, not just race) around the country over the past decade. You could also lump Dick Allen into this group.

Poll the 20-somethings on this site and I guarantee Frank gets 90% of the vote, he's the reason why a large portion of them are Sox fans.

Also, Ken Griffey Jr was one of if not THE most popular baseball player of the 90's and considered by many to be one of the 2 best centerfielders to ever play the game during his playing days so I'm not sure where you're going with that. I now he's MY favorite baseball player of all time with the Dominican Albert Pujols a very distant second.

And one more point. Of the current players I'd say Alexei and Jermaine are in the top 5 of fan favorites. I know Dye was my favorite player of the past 4 years and I'm definitely not alone.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
I love the picture of him bunting. LOL

throughout little league and in high school we were always taught to keep the bat head up when bunting...at least a 45 degree angle...that way its difficult to pop it up...any good reason why crede, and so many major leaguers drop the bat head?? seems so basic to me, and we were always told what crede is doing there is the cardinal sin of bunting

See this is the load of hyperbole garbage that makes want to wish ill on player:

You can argue that Joe Crede has been the White Sox's best ballplayer since he arrived in Chicago to stay in 2002. The point is inarguable since 2005, when Magglio Ordonez fled to Detroit for reasons of money and health.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,4631481.column

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
See this is the load of hyperbole garbage that makes want to wish ill on player:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,4631481.column

That's not hyperbole, it's Phil Rogers. He makes statements that are foolish and simply wrong such as that one about Crede all the time, so i'm not surprised. The fact he thinks it's "inarguable" that Joe Crede has been better than Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle, Bobby Jenks, and even A.J. Pierzynski since 2005 is a riot.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
Poll the 20-somethings on this site and I guarantee Frank gets 90% of the vote, he's the reason why a large portion of them are Sox fans.

I turned 23 a week and a half ago and I can say Frank Thomas (along with the 1993 White Sox when I was 7 and first starting to watch sports) are what made me a White Sox fan.

Edited by whitesoxfan101