i am drunk in 2009

Heads22

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Unlike Baconator who is a huge b**** for going to DC....I am drunk. Been so since 6:30pm. Not sure why, other than tomorrow is my last day of work for the summer before its back to school.

Hey Baconator...you ready for Barndance this semester? How about happy hours? Football Block? Or will you be too busy sucking up to some liberal congressman from Oregon?

Due to the direct personal attack I feel inclined to respond to this. f*** you. Just kidding. I'm sorry I graduated in 4 and you feel the need for a victory lap. You enjoy your barndance and football block, I will be too busy meeting the ladies in Ron Paul's office (seriously, the dude does not employ a single male in his office, no females over the age of 27, and max weight is 140)

There seriously needs to be a "Not drunk, Just Drinking" thread in here. A place to share thoughts over/about the evening's libations that lead to contentment but not capacity.

I cracked into a 2000 vintage Sierra Bigfoot that has been quietly mellowing in the cupboard for ages. Still a big beer, but the mouthfeel is so malt-dominated compared to the in-your-face hoppiness of a young Bigfoot. I have at least one bottle tucked away from each year from 2000 until now. Maybe when the 2010 release comes out in February I'll have a 10-year side-by-side tasting.

See? That's really boring drunk talk, but it's great drinking talk.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
There seriously needs to be a "Not drunk, Just Drinking" thread in here. A place to share thoughts over/about the evening's libations that lead to contentment but not capacity.

I cracked into a 2000 vintage Sierra Bigfoot that has been quietly mellowing in the cupboard for ages. Still a big beer, but the mouthfeel is so malt-dominated compared to the in-your-face hoppiness of a young Bigfoot. I have at least one bottle tucked away from each year from 2000 until now. Maybe when the 2010 release comes out in February I'll have a 10-year side-by-side tasting.

You don';t know how much I wish I could appreciate whatever the f*** your talking abotul. :)

looooove yooooooou.

So, now that I'm coherent.

A close friend turned 21 last night, so we're having a party at another friend's apartment. I got my foot run over by a f***in wheelchair by two guys who thought they could get into the keg for free if one pushed the other guy around in the wheelchair while pretending he had Down's Syndrome.

The sad part was it was a free keg.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)

I'm not a huge barleywine fan because of the hops, but I did sit on a 2007 Stone Old Guardian for about a year and a half. Man that thing was good. Still some definite hop presence, but really well balanced. Another year would have been great. Of course I was "aging" it in a closet, so there's no guarantee that it would have made it another year.

Never had a Bigfoot. I'm curious if that amount of aging brought it close to a Thomas Hardy?

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm not a huge barleywine fan because of the hops, but I did sit on a 2007 Stone Old Guardian for about a year and a half. Man that thing was good. Still some definite hop presence, but really well balanced. Another year would have been great. Of course I was "aging" it in a closet, so there's no guarantee that it would have made it another year.

Never had a Bigfoot. I'm curious if that amount of aging brought it close to a Thomas Hardy?

There's a lot more dark malt in the Bigfoot grain bill compared to Hardy, but as far as the thick, malt-accentuated mouthfeel, yeah there are definitely similarities with enough age on the Bigfoot. More similar would be the Old Guardian after a couple of years.

Bad news on the Thomas Hardy front. O'Hanlon's, the brewery that bought the rights to the brand and recipe from Eldridge and Pope when they ceased production has announced they are discontinuing production. Buy up what you can.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
There's a lot more dark malt in the Bigfoot grain bill compared to Hardy, but as far as the thick, malt-accentuated mouthfeel, yeah there are definitely similarities with enough age on the Bigfoot. More similar would be the Old Guardian after a couple of years.

Bad news on the Thomas Hardy front. O'Hanlon's, the brewery that bought the rights to the brand and recipe from Eldridge and Pope when they ceased production has announced they are discontinuing production. Buy up what you can.

Yeah I read about that. Good stuff though a bit pricey for me right now.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah I read about that. Good stuff though a bit pricey for me right now.

Worth every penny. I have a few of the old Eldrigh and Pope vintages tucked away that I can hear calling me to drink them in the middle of the night.

I bought an imperial pint bottle of 1989 Hardy's when it came out and I was just starting graduate school, and I said I wouldn't open it until I finished school. Seven %$#*&@! years later, that may have been the best beer I ever tasted.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Worth every penny. I have a few of the old Eldrigh and Pope vintages tucked away that I can hear calling me to drink them in the middle of the night.

I bought an imperial pint bottle of 1989 Hardy's when it came out and I was just starting graduate school, and I said I wouldn't open it until I finished school. Seven %$#*&@! years later, that may have been the best beer I ever tasted.

Most of this went over my head. But I don't know how you sit on beers for that long. Patience is a virtue.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Most of this went over my head. But I don't know how you sit on beers for that long. Patience is a virtue.

I have very little self-control.

Rather, I buy several bottles at a time and then tuck one or two away and try hard to forget about them.

We'll treat ourselves to a case of Celebration and Bigfoot each year, so we manage to hang onto a few bottles to enjoy over time.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)

There is nothing stopping a good threadjack as far as I am concerned.

BTW, where do you rate Shiner Boch?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I have very little self-control.

Rather, I buy several bottles at a time and then tuck one or two away and try hard to forget about them.

We'll treat ourselves to a case of Celebration and Bigfoot each year, so we manage to hang onto a few bottles to enjoy over time.

My next question then is: how do you age? I'm in an apartment so I have no basement. Plenty of interior closets which I doubt get over 75 degrees. That worked fine for the Stone, but I don't know how long it would last. More important, do you wax the bottle caps?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
There is nothing stopping a good threadjack as far as I am concerned.

BTW, where do you rate Shiner Boch?

Shiner Bock gets graded on a generous curve by me by nature of the 100-year history of the Spoetzl Brewery, the same way Yuengling does. The beer itself is a much-appreciated "port in the storm" beer for me, i.e., if your other alternatives out at a bar are American megas, Shiner is perfectly fine. Judged objectively, I'd be harsher on the beer — which I feel bad about. But, tasting reveals it is obviously an adjunct beer ( = lots of corn in the grain bill to save money like the American megas), which leaves the beer too light in body, too nibblets corn-sweet, and too under-malted to stack up to an authentic German bock. It's also over-carbonated for the style and prone to stability issues (that sulfur hint you sometimes get in Shiner. . . an off flavor caused by chemical compounds called mercaptans).

But. . . back to the grading on a curve idea. . . for a long time in the US, there were a handful of pre craft era beers that flirted with flavor and authenticity and flavor, and Shiner is one of those. It was a great placeholder while the American craft brewing revolution was gearing up. And it continues to be a good stepping stone beer that helps shepherd drinkers away from Bud and Miller and into real beer. That counts for something.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
My next question then is: how do you age? I'm in an apartment so I have no basement. Plenty of interior closets which I doubt get over 75 degrees. That worked fine for the Stone, but I don't know how long it would last. More important, do you wax the bottle caps?

I not only have no basement — I live in Florida. I'd crash and burn trying to cellar wines. But 75 degrees is acceptable for laying down ales. 68 degrees is probably ideal for English ales and that reflects their typical fermentation temperatures. You don't have to be in the 54 degree pub cellar range, and in fact that is too cold for lots of flavors to develop. "Experts" might disagree, but big beers (the only kind that age well) are very forgiving at most temperatures unless you exceed 80 degrees.

I never have waxed crown caps, but I have been disappointed by oxidized beers that I'd waited years to crack, so I can certainly see a benefit to it. Many of the 750 ml bottles are double capped with cork and crown or cork and basket, so massive oxidation is much less likely. Like wines, corked beers are worth laying down on their sides to keep the corks from drying out.

Interesting night tonight... the bartender at the 1st bar I went to made the stoutest gin and tonic's I've ever had at a bar (he didn't skimp on the gin at all), and then the 2nd bar I went to kicked everyone out b/c the cops came and said they were over-capacity (never seen that actually happen at a bar), so I finished up drinking $2 Pabst's tonight at the last place I went. GReat great night..

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 02:36 AM)
Interesting night tonight... the bartender at the 1st bar I went to made the stoutest gin and tonic's I've ever had at a bar (he didn't skimp on the gin at all), and then the 2nd bar I went to kicked everyone out b/c the cops came and said they were over-capacity (never seen that actually happen at a bar), so I finished up drinking $2 Pabst's tonight at the last place I went. GReat great night..

Thats odd, usually its the fire department as they are the ones in charge of handing down fines for over-capacity. Why would they kick everyone out, think you're missing something here.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:36 AM)

good lord, i can't stand gin. I'm not a big fan of drinking something that tastes like a christmas tree.