Wise might not make team

southsider2k5

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
I can't believe all you guys pushing Wise to the curb like this. He only had some of our biggest hits last season when we needed someone to come through. I don't recall any of our players that are still on this team minus Thome's homer in the one game playoff having huge hits. It's funny how people all the time jump on and off the bandwagon with a player. Who can tell me down the stretch who had bigger hits than Wise?

Good lord. Did you actually look at his stats down the stretch?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Good lord. Did you actually look at his stats down the stretch?

Yeah and did you look at the rest of the teams stats down the stretch besides Alexei and Thome? I don't recall many hitting .300? It's unfair for many of you to bash Wise. Look at what we have in center right now...Owens, Anderson, or Wise? Brian cannot hit and believe me if you watched any of the 06 season I recall Anderson being under .200 for like the first half of the season when the team was on fire. Imagine how he'd do if he played full time when the team was playing crappy? Owens I don't remember being any better other than he could probably steal 40 bags. But how is that possible if the guy has trouble getting on base? If you could tell me out of those three both offensively and defensively should start based on prior statistics. Wise is my pick at the bottom of the order hitting in the 9th spot. Just my opinion...

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Yeah and did you look at the rest of the teams stats down the stretch besides Alexei and Thome?

Yes. They sucked. What's this got to do with Wise, though? Seriously.

Wise's history of being good is about 2 weeks long. After that he has a long track record of mediocrity in the minors.

This is not being hard on him, it's the truth.

Edited by lostfan

I'd rather have any of Owens, Anderson, Cook or Kroeger than have Wise on the Opening Day roster.

[/quote

What are any of those guys going to do offensively that Wise can't do seriously?

2 of them are minor league guys with no experience and the other 2 shouldn't even be major league players?

You pick a guy with an onbase percentage which never has been over .300, a guy who can't hit the ball out of the infield, and 2 minor league guys with no experience. How do you back up your claim?

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
I can't believe all you guys pushing Wise to the curb like this. He only had some of our biggest hits last season when we needed someone to come through. I don't recall any of our players that are still on this team minus Thome's homer in the one game playoff having huge hits. It's funny how people all the time jump on and off the bandwagon with a player. Who can tell me down the stretch who had bigger hits than Wise?

He closed out 2008 3 for 31. He was HUGE.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)

I'd rather have any of Owens, Anderson, Cook or Kroeger than have Wise on the Opening Day roster.

What are any of those guys going to do offensively that Wise can't do seriously?

2 of them are minor league guys with no experience and the other 2 shouldn't even be major league players?

You pick a guy with an onbase percentage which never has been over .300, a guy who can't hit the ball out of the infield, and 2 minor league guys with no experience. How do you back up your claim?

Simple, and you pointed it out for me... they are guys who have played minimally at the major league level and haven't been proven out yet. That is one reason.

Owens played one significant stint in the majors, in 2007, and his numbers then were better than what Wise can put up (plus Owens can field his position, though not throw well). Anderson is a defensive plus out there, and like Owens has shown good numbers in the minors, but has yet to be given much of a chance to play. Cook, same deal. Kroeger, same deal.

Basically, I'd rather give a shot to someone who has flourished through the minors but hasn't had much major league play yet, then a guy like Wise who has played parts of 6 seasons in the majors and never been any good.

Also, if you didn't notice, Wise wasn't even good in the minors - he has a career .259/.309/.422 line in the minor leagues, despite repeating multple levels multiple times. The other guys in the minors? Owens: .291/.359/.358. Anderson: .293/.364/.474. Cook: .260/.375/.469. Kroeger: .286/.341/.452. Those are all better than what Wise put up, and they haven't had the chances that Wise has gotten. Add to this, that Wise is a terrible defensive CF, and not that good on the corners either. Anderson is far better, Owens is a little better, Cook is rumored to be a good defensive player at all three positions (I don't know about Kroeger). All better than Wise.

Wise has proven to be not very good. These other guys might not be either, but their minor league numbers say they'll be better than Wise, more than likely.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
OBP

2008 Stats

Wise .293

Anderson .290

Owens .250

Ok then by your logic (f*** sample size) Anderson and Wise are capable of reaching base at a very similar rate. Wouldn't Anderson's VASTLY superior defense and youth make him a more valuable ballplayer?

Also looking at their career major league numbers:

Owens .268/.321

Wise .214/.254

Anderson .221/.277

Wouldn't these numbers prove (again, by your logic) that both Anderson and Owens are superior offensive players?

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Yeah and did you look at the rest of the teams stats down the stretch besides Alexei and Thome? I don't recall many hitting .300? It's unfair for many of you to bash Wise. Look at what we have in center right now...Owens, Anderson, or Wise? Brian cannot hit and believe me if you watched any of the 06 season I recall Anderson being under .200 for like the first half of the season when the team was on fire. Imagine how he'd do if he played full time when the team was playing crappy? Owens I don't remember being any better other than he could probably steal 40 bags. But how is that possible if the guy has trouble getting on base? If you could tell me out of those three both offensively and defensively should start based on prior statistics. Wise is my pick at the bottom of the order hitting in the 9th spot. Just my opinion...

September numbers:

Wise - .206/.271

Griffey - .271/.348

Uribe - .271/.303

Thome - .205/.314

Dye - .268/.325

Cabrera - .330/.383

Ramirez - .211/.286

Konerko - .260/.321

Pierzynski - .224/.258

Again, explain to me (using your logic) how having the 2nd lowest batting average and 2nd lowest OBP for the month of September made him one of the most valuable players.

I'm also waiting for you to start naming all his big hits.