Favorite Peanut Butter and Jelly...Jelly

DABearSoX

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
Ah ha!!

really? :ph34r:

Yea....it's gonna be quite the experiment...i have been egged on by other brewers b/c from research online i can't find anyone that has actually tried doing it....I mean there's Pizza beer but no PB&J beer?

I found a place that sells powdered peanut butter so I am going to use that for the peanut butter part obviously - using real peanut butter or peanuts who kill the beer with oils.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Yea....it's gonna be quite the experiment...i have been egged on by other brewers b/c from research online i can't find anyone that has actually tried doing it....I mean there's Pizza beer but no PB&J beer?

I found a place that sells powdered peanut butter so I am going to use that for the peanut butter part obviously - using real peanut butter or peanuts who kill the beer with oils.

You should be able to use guidance from recipes for limbics, to see how to add in grape or strawberry or whatever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Strawberry jelly, crunchy peanut butter (the real/organic kind with the oil), on sourdough.

You lost me with the sourdough. I love sourdough but it just doesn't sound good for PB&J. But since you say it's good, I may try it sometimes.

I have some safe PB, it's a few years old, I think I will use that.

Oh, and crunchy for 80% of my sandwiches. Smooth for a change of pace. Like when I'm packing for illegals :lol:

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)

I assume that once that powdered peanut butter is rehydrated it will still have some oil to it.

You said you have done some research, so you've likely thought of most of these things, but here are some things that come to mind.

If you are using actual jelly, make sure you use something that is preservative free or you could hamper your yeast. Also, I'd avoid anything with added sucrose so you don't get any stray vinuous flavor notes. You'll get some of that anyway with the fructose, so if you have temperature control for your fermentation I'd make sure you are fermenting at 65º or so.

If I was trying to get some jelly notes without actually using jelly, I'd use winemaker's fruit concentrate.

Either using fruit or juice (but especially whole fruit), do not add it to the boil or else the cooked pectins will give you haze problems (not a huge issue in a porter, I know) and also body and mouthfeel issues. Instead, add it to the kettle right after knockdown and let it steep for an extended period of time.

Have you brewed with fruit before? If not, get ready for a helluva vigorous primary fermentation.

Good luck! :cheers

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
You should be able to use guidance from recipes for limbics, to see how to add in grape or strawberry or whatever.

Yeah. . . the limbics are a set of paleomammalian brain structures. . . the hippocampus, amygdala, and such. Not sure about adding them to a beer recipe, but it would be different. :D

Perhaps you were instead referring to the Belgian lambics?

Authentic fruit lambic actually has the fruit added to the beer usually several months after initial fermentation, with the added fruit sugars initiating an additional round of fermentation. Sort of the Belgian equivalent of krausening.

I'm sure DABearSoX is looking for a quicker turnaround on his beer. Got to keep the brews coming.

Now I'm thirsty and I want a PB&J. :lolhitting

yea I have brewed with fruit, I have a Cherry wheat in the 2ndary as we speak....

And as for the peanut butter, it still has some oil that is affirmative but it is 85% less fat than normal peanut butter. Basically the oil that I do get from the powdered stuff will rise up to the top and when I rack to the secondary i will leave it behind.

I asked the question what is everyones favorite b/c I am leaning towards using fruit flavoring when I bottle rather than using real fruit. I can't find grape fruit flavoring anywhere so I was hoping to use a different fruit.

My other option is to add a welch's grape juice concentrate in the 2ndary, I just don't want the 2ndary fermentation to dry it out which is why I am leaning towards flavoring.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
I'm sure DABearSoX is looking for a quicker turnaround on his beer. Got to keep the brews coming.

Def correct on that...I ferment in a temp controlled mini fridge and I can only fit one carboy in there so bottle conditioned ales are the way I go...

When I get a bigger apartment i may have to get a bigger fridge or chest freezer and start makin soem lagers

Yeah, it would probably be easiest to use a fruit flavoring at bottling and not actually fermenting with the fruit. Not nearly as adventurous though.

If you're going that route though (flavoring when bottling), why not just do the same with the peanut butter flavoring as well??

I can't help but think you're going to be screwing with a perfectly good batch of porter. Alas, I've poured my share of noble experiments down the drain too, and the Zymergy Muse cannot be ignored when she's put ideas in your head. I did a spruce beer once way back when and really overdid it on the spruce essence. The beer came out smelling and tasting like Pine-sol. I choked down as much as I could (poor college student), but in the end had to concede the fact that I blew that beer and consigned much of it to the sink.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Def correct on that...I ferment in a temp controlled mini fridge and I can only fit one carboy in there so bottle conditioned ales are the way I go...

When I get a bigger apartment i may have to get a bigger fridge or chest freezer and start makin soem lagers

That was always my plan when I went to the Johnson Controls fridge fermentor. Then I realized I just plain never had the patience for lagering. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
Would the artificial flavoring that they use on Sno-Cones work? That has grape or strawberry as a syrup.

That is not a bad idea - it would depend on the ingrediants that are used in those things - when brewing I tend to think less is more b/c strange chemicals/additives can lead to off flavors in the final product

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah. . . the limbics are a set of paleomammalian brain structures. . . the hippocampus, amygdala, and such. Not sure about adding them to a beer recipe, but it would be different. :D

Perhaps you were instead referring to the Belgian lambics?

Authentic fruit lambic actually has the fruit added to the beer usually several months after initial fermentation, with the added fruit sugars initiating an additional round of fermentation. Sort of the Belgian equivalent of krausening.

Now I'm thirsty and I want a PB&J. :lolhitting

LOL

Yes, I meant lambic, not limbic. Slip of the keyboard.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
That is not a bad idea - it would depend on the ingrediants that are used in those things - when brewing I tend to think less is more b/c strange chemicals/additives can lead to off flavors in the final product

I was wondering at what stage would be optimal to introduce the flavoring. Also, those things are sweet, it may be tough to control the sweetness.

I do know it takes fewer grapes to flavor a jelly than strawberry. Which is why grape jelly or lam is so damn cheap. I'd be looking at grape flavor even though I think strawberry would make a better beer.