Favorite Peanut Butter and Jelly...Jelly

DABearSoX

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
I am using the PB2 b/c I have herd mixed and mostly bad results when using nut extracts (thats what she said).

I came across this thread and thought I would give it a try

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/peanut-but...t-butter-61538/

That's an interesting thread, and it convinced me that peanut butter stout is a worthwhile pursuit. Also, some decently beergeeky folks on that site, which is great. I Loved the dancin' banana shorthand inquiry about possible strategy of using a weissbier yeast strain and high fermentation temperatures to get some banana notes - and loved it even more when the other poster knew exactly what he was talking about.

Homebrewers are swell folks.

Picture_3.jpg

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
Peanut butter and honey, thank you very much.

I also like peanut butter on toast. I'm not a fan of jelly with my PB.

Ohhh, good call. Toast, crunchy peanut butter, and I've got some Prickly Pear honey that has just a little extra spice to it. Awesome.

Wow, you can tell I have a cold, I'm craving comfort foods.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
I was wondering at what stage would be optimal to introduce the flavoring. Also, those things are sweet, it may be tough to control the sweetness.

I do know it takes fewer grapes to flavor a jelly than strawberry. Which is why grape jelly or lam is so damn cheap. I'd be looking at grape flavor even though I think strawberry would make a better beer.

The later in the process tends to be better to add flavoring. Primary fermantation knocks out a lot of flavor compounds so you try to introduce the flavor closest to bottling/kegging as possible...

The natural fruit flavorings i am speaking about have no sugar in them, they rely on the residual sugars left in the beer to bring out the sweetness...

I plan on mashing at a higher temperature which produces more unfermentable sugars which will leave it a bit sweeter. Using real fruit or the concentrate which has sugars in it will start fermentaion again and tend to dry out (less sweet) the final product...

Those snow cone flavorings probably use artificial sweeteners which are unfermentable so they may make the beer end up too sweet...

all in all this is going to be an experimental brew, hopefully making me the only expert when it comes to a PB&J porter