Roberto Alomar

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
Supposedly, when Alomar spit in the umpire's face it was in response to the umpire making a comment about his sexuality. There have been rumors about Robby for years. Whether all this is true, I don't know. If he does have the disease, I pray for him. Just from reading the articles, it seems that if he knew he had the disease, she did as well. She seemed to have all his medical visits and info. Probably a money grab.

Wow, if that's true, it really makes me hate umpires even more. Many of them obviously feel as though they are above the game, but this is sickening.

I don't get what the basis of the suit is. She doesn't state that she felt forced into sex, or that she was raped, or that she has HIV. In fact, despite her claim that she's has many sexual encounters with Alomar while he had HIV, she never contracted it herself. The only issue is whether "AIDS-phobia" is an actual emotion disorder (I've never heard of it). Even if he was grossly negligent, she did not suffer any actual harm.

I may be totally wrong about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

something doesn't really seem right...they had unprotected sex from 2002-2006 and she didn't contract HIV?

either way this whole story is rather disturbing and unfortunate....alot of this is private stuff, especially the fact that he was raped, and really shouldn't be made public. the smokinggun is a cool website sometimes, but sometimes they really should respect the private lives of people

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
something doesn't really seem right...they had unprotected sex from 2002-2006 and she didn't contract HIV?

either way this whole story is rather disturbing and unfortunate....alot of this is private stuff, especially the fact that he was raped, and really shouldn't be made public. the smokinggun is a cool website sometimes, but sometimes they really should respect the private lives of people

The lawsuit would be public record. They just made it more accessible.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
I don't get what the basis of the suit is. She doesn't state that she felt forced into sex, or that she was raped, or that she has HIV. In fact, despite her claim that she's has many sexual encounters with Alomar while he had HIV, she never contracted it herself. The only issue is whether "AIDS-phobia" is an actual emotion disorder (I've never heard of it). Even if he was grossly negligent, she did not suffer any actual harm.

I think the basis is he had unprotected sex with her while knowing he had AIDS. Reading the lawsuit, if he has AIDS, it appears, according to her, they found out about it at the same time. I'm telling you this is a money grab. They probably are threatening him with releasing more personal info, and would settle for much less than $15 million. She's a single mother who is used to living a very high lifestyle what with her huge home and Escalade, probably both purchased by Alomar. She runs a massage business and probably fears her lifestyle being knocked down a couple of pegs. She'll probably get something out of this just to keep skeletons out of public.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
The lawsuit would be public record. They just made it more accessible.

yeah, i thought it probably was public anyways, but either way i personally find the distribution of it pretty disturbing

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I think the basis is he had unprotected sex with her while knowing he had AIDS. Reading the lawsuit, if he has AIDS, it appears, according to her, they found out about it at the same time. I'm telling you this is a money grab. They probably are threatening him with releasing more personal info, and would settle for much less than $15 million. She's a single mother who is used to living a very high lifestyle what with her huge home and Escalade, probably both purchased by Alomar. She runs a massage business and probably fears her lifestyle being knocked down a couple of pegs. She'll probably get something out of this just to keep skeletons out of public.

Yeah, but it's not illegal to be HIV positive and have consensual sex. There's no question this is a money grab, but my point is that the case should be thrown out as long as "AIDS-phobia" is not a legit disorder.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)

I think the claims are for infliction of emotional distress; both intentional (Count I) and negligent (Count II). A plaintiff doesn't necessarily have to have suffered an actual "emotional disorder" to make such claims (although it helps to ratchet up the damages). General worry, anxiety, sleeplessness, depression, etc. can suffice. The gist of the claims is that by having unprotected sex with her while he was infected, he caused her these emotional injuries in that she became distressed about possibly getting AIDS; not that he physically injured her by having unprotected sex or via actual infection.