Cubs Billboard

clyons

Today driving south on I-55 near Kedzie, I noticed a billboard that depicts the famous, red, Wrigley Field marquee and reads, "What Happens in Wrigley Field Stays at Wrigley Field." Its obviously a take-off on the famous Las Vegas marketing slogan, but to what intended effect? The team can't actually be trying to attract people to the ballpark by directly comparing it to "Sin City," can it? You would think they'd want to market a two-time defending champion instead of playing up the "come out to get drunk" stereotype.

Am I missing something here, or am I getting the message they're trying to send?

Maybe they're just referring to losing and let people know that it isn't going anywhere. It happens there, has happened there for 100 years, and there is no real chance of it leaving or changing. I guess that may make sense.

Its reverse psychology that way. Instead of saying "this is the year", they make it very subtle that they just intend on losing and selling the place/beer vendors out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
The Cubs could put

"We have sucked for 100 years, and you idiots will still over pay to come see us at Wrigley"

on a billboard, and they would still have 40,000 people there everyday.

Mayor Quimby: "You people are nothing but a pack of fickle mush-heads!"

Townspeople: "He's right!"

"Give us hell, Quimby!"