Book Thread

Texsox

What's everyone reading?

I've got my nose in Amerco Peredes' George Washington Gomez, Burroughs Junky (excerpts about my neighborhood) , and Stevenson's Jekyll and Hyde.

George Washington Gomez was written in the 1930s but not published until about 1990. It is set in my neck of the woods, and I find it very interesting.

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/res...RD=what+goes+up

Cover Image

What Goes up : The Uncensored History of Modern Wall Street as Told by the Bankers, Brokers, CEOs, and Scoundrels Who Made It by Eric J. Weiner

Awesome book so far. I am almost done with it. Its great perspective from the inside, instead of from reporters who don't really understand Wall Street.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything

Isaacson's Einstein

I'm going to crack open my copy of On the Origin of Species in honor of Darwin Day today

Man I really didn't like Isaacson's Ben Franklin biography

The War Against the Chtorr by David Gerrold. Rereading it since I have been slacking off in going to the used bookstore lately. It is sci-fi that when I first read, I had a hard time predicting what was going to happen. Usually I can figure out just where they are going with the story, but this one is different. I had just finished The Green Trap by Ben Bova, which I think several of you in here would like.

I'm currently reading Bret Hart's autobio, Hitman.

I would NEVER have guessed that Hart had any sort of sense of humor at all, but the book is a really great read.

Often very funny, other times self-depricating, and some thoughtful stuff in there as well.

This is not the side of himself that Hart let the public see, and that's too bad.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything

Isaacson's Einstein

I'm going to crack open my copy of On the Origin of Species in honor of Darwin Day today

I just recently bought the Isaacson Einstein book on cd. My physics teacher said it's a great book. How far have you gotten in it? I have only listened to the first chapter so far.

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I just recently bought the Isaacson Einstein book on cd. My physics teacher said it's a great book. How far have you gotten in it? I have only listened to the first chapter so far.

Just cracked into "the bomb," so I'm nearing the end. It's been a pretty good read.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
I'm currently reading Bret Hart's autobio, Hitman.

I would NEVER have guessed that Hart had any sort of sense of humor at all, but the book is a really great read.

Often very funny, other times self-depricating, and some thoughtful stuff in there as well.

This is not the side of himself that Hart let the public see, and that's too bad.

i went to the hart book signing when he was in schaumburg. was pretty cool. (i do wish they'd played his music when he walked in.) i'm reading the book only in bits and pieces between other books but i agree with you about it. good stuff.

other than that i just finished a pretty good fantasy novel called acacia by david anthony durham, and i'm starting ken kalfus's second story collection, pu-239 and other russian fantasies.

I'm reading Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. I am about a third of the way through and so far it is a great read. It tells stories of America conquering the west from the sides of the Navajo Indians, Mexican leaders, general Kearny, and the trapper/guide Kit Carson. It really gives an understanding of the of the time from many perspectives. The book shows no biases and shows the events from both sides.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to bump this thread to add this book. It goes against most things I look for in books. Personally I have never been big into the biography thing, but this was excellent. I also am totally a Paul McCartney guy, but this book about John Lennon just brings him to life in a way I never knew him before. It was amazing.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=HA...0487&ref=GB