Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:24 AM)
I know I'm about 7 years too late, but I'm almost done with Angels and Demons... Started it earlier today and should finish it tomorrow.

It takes you a day to read a book and you couldnt find time in the past ten years to read it?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
It takes you a day to read a book and you couldnt find time in the past ten years to read it?

It's not like that. I'm actually a pretty slow reader. I just happened to have 9 free hours (car ride back from Florida), so I spent all my time reading... I still have about 200 pages, but I have nothing to do today, so I'll probably finish it.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm reading Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. I am about a third of the way through and so far it is a great read. It tells stories of America conquering the west from the sides of the Navajo Indians, Mexican leaders, general Kearny, and the trapper/guide Kit Carson. It really gives an understanding of the of the time from many perspectives. The book shows no biases and shows the events from both sides.

Probably the besy historical book I have ever read, and I've read quite a few. Sides is just the best I've ever read, at making history as interesting as it can be. Fantastic book.

You want to know how the American personality got to where it is today? The march across the continent is the best way to find out. And that book may be the best lense for doing so.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
Afterwards I'll tackle "Swan Song," which is a novel similar to The Stand in its plot of a group of people surviving a post apocalyptic world.

I actually enjoyed certain aspects of it more than The Stand. It's at the very least equal to it.

Right now I am reading World War Z by Max Brooks. Cool book, but due to the style it is really hard to get fully wrapped up in it. You never grow attached to any characters, and IMO in a book of this sort that is a detriment to the book.

• 6 months later...

I've been on a reading spree recently. Instead of reading my books for class I've decided just to read alot of books although two are related to one of my classes. In the past 6 weeks I've read:

The Know-It-All by AJ Jacobs

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Just A Theory by Ken Miller

Finding Darwin's God by Ken Miller

Come to think of it, it is kinda an odd mismatch of books but they were all good. I just finished the last one tonight, not quite sure what to start next. My friend suggested "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet has anyone read it?

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
I've been on a reading spree recently. Instead of reading my books for class I've decided just to read alot of books although two are related to one of my classes. In the past 6 weeks I've read:

The Know-It-All by AJ Jacobs

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Just A Theory by Ken Miller

Finding Darwin's God by Ken Miller

Come to think of it, it is kinda an odd mismatch of books but they were all good. I just finished the last one tonight, not quite sure what to start next. My friend suggested "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet has anyone read it?

I read Pillars of the Earth for a class once. It's a huge book but worth the read.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone picked up The Great Book of Chicago Sports Lists by Dan McNeil and Ed Sherman? My brother bought it, and I read the first few lists. The first one was Ed Sherman's top Jordan moments. The second list....McNeil's top Sox moments from the 2005 playoffs. Doesn't someone check the facts before they print this stuff???

As many of us Sox fans, we will NEVER forget that playoff run, and even the smallest details will probably be fondly remembered. Well, McNeil lists three factorial errors that easily stand out. He said:

1. Konerko hit a grandslam in game 1

2. Pods game winning homerun was also in game 1

3. Blum hit a 2 run homer in game 3

I think most of us here would know that Paulie's slam, as well as Pods walk off, happened in game 2. And while he actually had the correct game for Blum, it was just a solo shot.

I just couldn't believe that these 3 facts were overlooked. They easily stood out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Kraukauer :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang of 5. It was more the last three decades in Afghanistan with Tillman as a sub plot. Plenty of harsh words for the military complex all the way up to the Commander in Chief, so hard core GOPers may not enjoy it as much.