Bragging a little

Texsox

After some trial and tribulation brought on by my daughter's High School, she was finally accepted at U of Illinois. It was such a relief. She was in the top ten in her class at the International Baccalaureate School here, but when she moved back to Illinois, her new high school screwed over her transcript.

Oh boy, both kids in college . . .

/anything in the stimulus package for me? :lolhitting or am I the stimulus package.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
After some trial and tribulation brought on by my daughter's High School, she was finally accepted at U of Illinois. It was such a relief. She was in the top ten in her class at the International Baccalaureate School here, but when she moved back to Illinois, her new high school screwed over her transcript.

Oh boy, both kids in college . . .

/anything in the stimulus package for me? :lolhitting or am I the stimulus package.

Congrats! And yes, you are stimulating the economy! Doing your part as a great American! Thanks, Tex!

Congrats! Im there as a freshman now, whats she studying? If it's business I can help her choosing classes (personally, my advisor did not do a good job telling me what classes to take). And not to be creepy but if she's staying at ISR (not probable since its mostly sophomores and higher staying there) let me know since Ill be an RA there.

Go Illini!

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
She is in Communications / Advertising

As a graduate of the College of Media (nee Communications) and as a former ad professional and a man married to an ad professional, all I have to say is...DON'T DO IT!!!

Seriously though, congrats! If she's at all interested...the photojourn professor, Brian Johnson, is absolutely awesome!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
As a graduate of the College of Media (nee Communications) and as a former ad professional and a man married to an ad professional, all I have to say is...DON'T DO IT!!!

Seriously though, congrats! If she's at all interested...the photojourn professor, Brian Johnson, is absolutely awesome!

I will faint if she actually sticks to her major, but we will see. Thanks for the tip. I assume most of her first two years will be spent in lecture theaters run by TAs.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
I will faint if she actually sticks to her major, but we will see. Thanks for the tip. I assume most of her first two years will be spent in lecture theaters run by TAs.

If she takes a "discovery" course (only available to freshmen, iirc), she'll be in a small class working directly with a professor. The big lectures I had (1000+ students in basic chem. and physics) were taught by prof's, but discussion sections were run by TA's.

Unless they changed the structure or she's in a different program than I think she is, communcations is gen-ed the first two years (filled with discussion sections full of TA's that may/may not speak fluent English) followed by an application for the major courses the last two years.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
Unless they changed the structure or she's in a different program than I think she is, communcations is gen-ed the first two years (filled with discussion sections full of TA's that may/may not speak fluent English) followed by an application for the major courses the last two years.

That is no longer the case. The College of Media is now a 4 year College. And my freshman rhetoric TA was from Pakistan. He had been in the country for 3 weeks.