2009 Sox Predictions Merged Threads

knightni

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
Sox will finish in first and make a run in the Playoffs.

Yanks will fall short because they lack offense and the pitching will not live up to hype.

Cubs will be challenged for division lead by an unexpected opponent, but will still make playoffs.

Tampa will finish last as injuries will crop up.

Seattle will have the biggest turn around in the history of baseball, but fall short in division series.

Giants will win the NL west and the Nat's will be competitive in the first half of the season in the east.

Chicago will win the World Series in seven games against Chicago.

Their will be a blizzard in the world Series that will delay the finish for a week causing the Wiggly Rats to run to the Cubs dugout for shelter. The Rats will disrupt the Cubs concentration and cause them to blow game 7 in one of the most comical finishes in world series history. The Sox will prevail because the Rat curse is now on for the Cubs. This would be a great finish for Baseball. :gosox1:

That is bold. Can you imagine if we had a rotation like the Yankees? CC is an ace, Wang is very close to it, and both are good for 200+ IP. Pettite supplies another solid 200IP, then Burnett the wildcard should provide 180 Javy-like innings, and Joba Chamberlain is their 5th starter. And on top of that, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy are sitting on the outside as depth. If the Yankees pitching disappoints then it is because they don't get 70+ wins out of their rotation alone. The only way we can come close to matching that is if the old Cy Young Bartolo shows up, our three returning starters do not regress, and we get at least 10 wins out of the fifth starter spot.

Also, Seattle is horrible- like very horrible. Will Bedard even pitch this year? They've got Ichiro, King Felix and Putz. For them to turn around they need breakouts from Balantien, Clement, Ronny Cedeno, Brandon Morrow as a starter, they need a healthy Bedard... they need a miracle to even sniff .500 in that division with the Angels and the improved Oakland and Texas squads.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
The Sox will get into a brawl with the Twins.

Fields and Anderson will combine for 50 plus homeruns.

Danks will win 18 games.

Jenks will lead the AL in saves and have an ERA under 2.50

I think you have a good shot at being right on 1,3,& 4, It will take no less than an act of god for #2 to manifest.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Kenny Williams will take a swing at fathom.

Ozzie and Hawk have a post-game match in the octagon with Mariotti and his ego.

White Sox win the division on the last day of the season...again.

Detroit continues its freefall, but Cleveland, the Twins and the Royals are all significantly better.

LOL, great post, but I fear if the tribe,Twins, and Royals are all much better, it will hurt are division chances more than help.JMHO. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
i was thinking to myself that why is he highly regarded by all of us when hes not even a top 10 prospect for the sox(cole armstrong is even above him lol) and i was looking it up and saw on bbp, the projected 2012 linuep. i thought everything seemed about right except that they still have JD as our projected rf for 20012 lol

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267205.html

He`d still cover more ground than Adam Dunn. :notworthy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)
My bold prediction is no soxtalk fan will post "this game is over" the moment we fall behind 3 runs in a game in the game threads.

Please people, just don't do it!!!

You got to believe. Games are not over til they are ova.

Why does it matter if someone makes that post, it has no outcome on the game.... we can just ridicule them and blame them for it if something like that occurs.

QUOTE (4 points @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)
I think you have a good shot at being right on 1,3,& 4, It will take no less than an act of god for #2 to manifest.

I think if they both play, its not that far out there. Them both playing full time may be the crazy part.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Chris Getz puts up a ridiculously similar line to Tadahito's 2005, but with about 7 fewer homers. We applaud.

I don't think that's very bold. Yes he's going to have to adjust to MLB pitching, but with his contact rate and the fact that he's a line drive hitter who isn't afraid to take a walk (although he's not going to pile them up) I think he can easily duplicate Iguchi's AVG and OBP as a rookie.

The question is though, if Getz does that and Beckham tears it up in Birmingham, what do the Sox do then? I love finally having IF depth. It's been a long time.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
I don't think that's very bold. Yes he's going to have to adjust to MLB pitching, but with his contact rate and the fact that he's a line drive hitter who isn't afraid to take a walk (although he's not going to pile them up) I think he can easily duplicate Iguchi's AVG and OBP as a rookie.

The question is though, if Getz does that and Beckham tears it up in Birmingham, what do the Sox do then? I love finally having IF depth. It's been a long time.

I'd guess let Becks continue to tear it up, and eventually move one of the two for other needs.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)

It'd be Beckham's first full year of professional baseball, a little while longer of letting him tear it up wouldn't hurt him.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Jim Thome will be traded near the trade deadline to a contending team for a promising centerfield prospect, then Kenny Williams will resign free agent Ken Griffey Jr. to finish the year as DH.

the latter half of that just became impossible unless Griffey is released by Atlanta

QUOTE (4 points @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)

I could see Fields hitting 35 to 40 homers as an everyday starter. Graned I would also see about 180 strikeouts and a sub .240 averge, but I could see Anderson and Fields combining for 50 homers if they both were regular starters.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
Oh really? darn, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere on this site. :(

It's not official yet, Griffey still reportedly mulling offers from Braves and Mariners (that linked article is disputing an Atlanta Journal-Constitution article from about an hour beforehand saying that Griffey had picked the braves).