Owens, Nix, Betemit and Wise Out of options

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

According to the Tribune :

Options: The Sox have vowed to take the top 25 players to start the regular season, but last spring they kept Nick Masset, who was out of options, over Ehren Wassermann.

Owens, Nix, infielder Wilson Betemit and outfielder Dewayne Wise are out of options and must clear waivers if they don't make the Opening Day roster.

If Anderson, Viciedo , Lillibridge , and Getz all have better Springs who makes the team ? Can anyone picture the Sox putting Owens on waivers ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

None of those players are good enough or have enough potential to be worthy enough to take a risk on. Massett at least had some potential. Besides, all of those players are doubtful to even be snatched up by another team anyway. Betemit is a lock to make the roster though, IMO.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Can anyone picture the Sox putting Owens on waivers ?

Yes. He's 28. He's been in AAA for 3 years already. But--- I think he'll win out and be the Sox leadoff man.

Wise will be let go at the end of spring training. They'll try to hang on to him and send him to AAA, but if another team takes him, oh well.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
None of those players are good enough or have enough potential to be worthy enough to take a risk on. Massett at least had some potential. Besides, all of those players are doubtful to even be snatched up by another team anyway. Betemit is a lock to make the roster though, IMO.

It's funny how you said Betemit is a lock to make the roster. When I was writing my post that's almost word for word what I wrote. Then I thought, what if Fields and Viciendo have great springs ? So I took it out. So you're saying Owens and Nix , two of our possible starters, have no potential ? Owen's couldn't possibly stay healthy and solve the leadoff problem and put up decent numbers for 1 year ? Nix ,a guy who won the Colorado starting 2nd base job last year before being DFA'd for sucking couldn't finally figure it out ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Can anyone picture the Sox putting Owens on waivers ?

If (a.) Owens gets hurt again... and (b.) Anderson has a good spring... and (c.) one of the second base guys starts looking like a viable leadoff option... then yes.

And although that sounds like alot of conditions... I don't think any of them are a stretch.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they all happen.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Why do people keep adding an n to Dayan's last name?

I'd love to see what would happen if Wise and Owens completely tank and BA and some other NRI tear the cover off the ball.

At least now I know how to pronounce his 1st name, it's Die Ann . :D

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
At least now I know how to pronounce his 1st name, it's Die Ann . :D

Actually if someone pronounces it correctly, it sounds like Die On... but I'm sure alot of people in the media will screw it up.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Why do people keep adding an n to Dayan's last name?

I'd love to see what would happen if Wise and Owens completely tank and BA and some other NRI tear the cover off the ball.

Brian Anderson will not get the starting job again this year, although he'll likely win it in spring training.

I think all five outfielders make the opening day roster. I'd like to see a reserve infielder that can play short. Hopefully Nix and or Lillibridge can be that player. The 11 pitchers in my opinion Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Jiminez, Russell, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Jenks. I'd like to see another left handed relief pitcher. Russell and Jiminez are out of options Thornton is left handed and Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks are locks for the staff. Who then will be the 4th and 5th starters? Richards, Colon, Marquez, Broadway? It will be interesting, I'm not convinced that Kenny is done another deal before opening day again in my humble opinion.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Actually if someone pronounces it correctly, it sounds like Die On... but I'm sure alot of people in the media will screw it up.

Actually, it's pronounced more like "die-AHN" AHN rhyming with Genghis Khan or Jessica Hahn.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
Didn't Nix get signed on a minor league deal, such that it doesn't matter that he's out of options?

He's on the 40 man roster so if the Sox want to send him down at any time this year (including March) they'd have to use an option, since he's out of options he'd have to pass through waivers which he's done twice in his career already.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
He's on the 40 man roster so if the Sox want to send him down at any time this year (including March) they'd have to use an option, since he's out of options he'd have to pass through waivers which he's done twice in his career already.

And people expect him to be a factor.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
That's amazing how old Owens is. Proves it's tough to crack a lineup in the majors.

I wouldn't discount Wise making it. Oz loves him obviously.

Makes it all the more amazing how crede was our every day starting third baseman while only being 24 years old!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
That's amazing how old Owens is. Proves it's tough to crack a lineup in the majors.

I wouldn't discount Wise making it. Oz loves him obviously.

With Owens it's not so much that as much as the fact that he was a football player and started playing baseball late, so he was pretty old when he got drafted.