Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

Post 'em.

Merkin:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

New faces, same goal: White Sox report

South Siders believe youth will surpass predictions By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Being underestimated almost has become a rite of spring for the White Sox. So, it was of little surprise that talk of Baseball Prospectus' last-place projection in the American League Central drew more smiles and laughs than looks of consternation in the White Sox clubhouse, after pitchers and catchers reported Sunday morning.

"Have we ever not been?" asked White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, when asked about the low expectations surrounding his team. "The one year, in 2006, after we won the World Series. We are always picked to finish last, that's the way it is. We understand that."

"I've been there every Spring Training," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen with a broad smile. "The only time they picked me first [in 2006], I finished third."

Player physicals began before the sun even rose over the White Sox brand-new, state-of-the-art facility known as Camelback Ranch-Glendale on Sunday morning. But the true start of Spring Training '09 didn't take place until eight hours later, when Guillen addressed the media following the group's first workout.

Guillen presented rave reviews for Camelback Ranch, comments echoed by White Sox pitchers and catchers. He called Jose Contreras "the biggest surprise of camp," even with just one day elapsed, as the right-hander showed up 30 pounds lighter than the end of the 2008 season and well on his way to coming back early from a ruptured left Achilles tendon suffered last August.

The White Sox move from Tucson to Glendale also features some younger players from within the organization getting their first real opportunity at full-time, big league work. Regardless of the handful of personnel changes, the ultimate goal for the White Sox has not been lowered.

Start out by defending the team's 2008 American League Central title, a division crown that needed a one-game "Blackout" at home against the Twins. Then, the White Sox hope to find the same final level of success as in 2005, when they captured their first World Series title in almost nine decades.

Open competition at positions such as second base, center field and the fifth starter shouldn't hamper the team's goals.

"[General manager] Kenny Williams did a tremendous job of putting the best team out there," Guillen said. "We have enough bullets to compete."

"We got young guys and we need them," said White Sox starter Mark Buehrle of the team's youth infusion. "Everyone has been saying we're fat and old and slow and we need to get younger and faster, so I think it's going to help out."

Plenty of veterans still exist to mix nicely with the relatively untested youngsters, starting with first baseman Paul Konerko, who begins his 11th season with the White Sox when he reports to camp with the other position players on Thursday, Feb. 19. The .277 career hitter comes off his second-worst single-season showing in batting average, finishing 2008 at .240, but his .270 average and 13 home runs after the All-Star break indicate a healthy Konerko is ready to contribute once again in the potent middle of this order.

Designated hitter Jim Thome, Pierzynski, Buehrle and closer Bobby Jenks are a few other returning members of this experienced core. Despite countless offseason trade rumors including his name, Jermaine Dye is set to handle his post once again as one of the most consistent outfielders in the AL.

Carlos Quentin looks to duplicate his Most Valuable Player-caliber numbers from 2008, which he accomplished despite missing the season's final month with a fractured bone in his right wrist, leading to Sunday's early camp arrival because of said injury. Alexei Ramirez moves from second base to shortstop on the heels of his breakout at the plate during his rookie year.

New additions include right-handed pitcher Bartolo Colon, who pitched one season for the White Sox back in 2003. Colon really won't go into full-throttle spring work until mid-March, as the team stretches him out and gets him ready for the 2009 campaign.

All eyes will be on Dayan Viciedo, the 19-year-old Cuban slugger signed to a four-year, $10 million deal this past offseason, when he participates in the first full workout following physicals on Feb. 19. Brent Lillibridge comes over from Atlanta as part of the Javier Vazquez trade, with a chance to win the starting job at second and possibly even the leadoff spot in the order, while pitcher Jeff Marquez, acquired from the Yankees as part of the Nick Swisher trade, figures prominently into the fifth-starter equation.

Williams and Guillen also are counting on the team's own youth to be served, with Josh Fields at third, Chris Getz at second, Clayton Richard in the starting rotation and the combination of Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson in center field. Pitcher Aaron Poreda and infielder Gordon Beckham, the team's past two top picks in the First-Year Player Draft, will get serious looks as non-roster invites, as will catcher Tyler Flowers.

As Williams pointed out numerous times since first talking about this youth infusion to MLB.com on Halloween, this particular movement marks business as usual for the team. It's not rebuilding, but retooling or reshaping, if you will, in order to make sure the White Sox stay competitive in the present and for years to come.

They believe in themselves as a team, even if the Baseball Prospectus computers don't agree.

"Before last year, we were seeing stuff on television about how nobody expected us to do much," said White Sox pitcher John Danks, who posted 12 wins and a 3.32 ERA in 33 starts last year. "Going into this year, I feel we can win the World Series. It's something I really believe."

"You don't win the pennant race in February," Guillen said. "There are a lot of experts out there now."

So Merkin mentions an "open competition" in CF, I assume this is his own speculation. Though spring training competitions may be f***ing retarded I hope if they do hold one for CF they actually stand by it unlike that sham they held in 2007.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Post 'em.

Merkin:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

So Merkin mentions an "open competition" in CF, I assume this is his own speculation. Though spring training competitions may be f***ing retarded I hope if they do hold one for CF they actually stand by it unlike that sham they held in 2007.

I have two thoughts. How many pounds is Contreras able to lose? Hasn't he lost a bunch of weight the last few offseasons? And there will be no competition for CF. Brian Anderson will not receive the starting job. Jerry Owens will receive the starting job. That might as well be etched in stone and laminated.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
i.e. the everyone's lost weight and is in the best shape of their life thread

I read somewhere that Adam Russell dropped 20 pounds while adding 15 pounds of muscle and is subsequently in the best shape of his life thanks to a new offseason training regiment that he and a couple other professional athletes have been participating in all offseason in a warm weather city, he also took up yoga, pilattes, tae kwon do and balet but that was only after he had laser eye surgery. Oh and he's working on a cutter!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
I have two thoughts. How many pounds is Contreras able to lose? Hasn't he lost a bunch of weight the last few offseasons? And there will be no competition for CF. Brian Anderson will not receive the starting job. Jerry Owens will receive the starting job. That might as well be etched in stone and laminated.

Oh, I know. But why even name your starting centerfielder under the guise of some lame-ass fictional "competition"? Having Owens "fight it out" in March isn't going to make him any better of a player in April.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 05:34 AM)
Would like do to a little pimping of my own. Starting tomorrow, Bruce Levine will join the Afternoon Saloon on ESPN 1000 every day at 4. He is in Arizona for 55 days.

just heard levine on with waddle and silvy.

the biggest piece of info was he suggested contreras could be back by late spring rather than june or july. says he lost 33 pounds and looks unbelieveable. he is throwing in camp, although not off the mound yet.

a few other notes:

-colon without a shirt on is "not a pretty sight"

-everyone is in love with viciedo. talks about him being the sox's future left-fielder once dye leaves (cq to right). says his power potential is ridiculous.

-crede will probably have to take an incentive-laden deal. he (boras) needs to adjust his expectations.

-expect some collusion talk to come from the players association (re: so many guys on the market).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Oh, I know. But why even name your starting centerfielder under the guise of some lame-ass fictional "competition"? Having Owens "fight it out" in March isn't going to make him any better of a player in April.

Actually, it might.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)

I dont think you can fake the fact he is already playing long toss after what could have been a career ending injury for a guy his age. He obviously took everything very serious in rehab and intends on getting back on the field.

I have to give Contreras credit... he lost 30 lbs, and is already throwing the ball. If he can start pitching by May and be ready to come up after the ASB, that would be a HUGE boost for the rotation. Especially since Colon is a giant (no pun-intended) question mark and that 5th starter spot is still unknown at this time.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
I never thought Contreras looked so heavy that he needed to lose that much weight. In fact, I always thought he looked to be in great shape regardless

I agree, but I think he was heavier last year than he had been. He's proportioned well. It looks like Jenks hasn't gone to nutrisystem during the winter, and it appears Ozzie doesn't care anymore. He may look like a taller version of Bob Wickman in a couple of years.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
I have to give Contreras credit... he lost 30 lbs, and is already throwing the ball. If he can start pitching by May and be ready to come up after the ASB, that would be a HUGE boost for the rotation. Especially since Colon is a giant (no pun-intended) question mark and that 5th starter spot is still unknown at this time.

just curious, but is colon realistically expected to be ready to take the ball in the fourth game of the season?

Lilly, Ozzie lock horns on penalties for steroid use http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...-021609.article

“I was player rep before Ted Lilly," Guillen added. “I respect his opinion and I don’t know why it sounds like he doesn’t respect mine. Tell him to worry about winning games for the Cubs and winning games for Lou, not what Ozzie thinks or says."

Edited by Melissa1334