Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
More from Cowley : Not only did Josh Fields have knee surgery in the fall, but told reporters that he also had LASIK surgery to improve his vision.

Interesting to think about that LASIK part. He was noted to have a hard time catching up to fastballs. The assumption made, was that it was his swing, that he loaded his bat too much at the top of his swing, etc. That might be true, or, it could have been his eyes, or some of each. Should be interesting to see what happens.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Interesting to think about that LASIK part. He was noted to have a hard time catching up to fastballs. The assumption made, was that it was his swing, that he loaded his bat too much at the top of his swing, etc. That might be true, or, it could have been his eyes, or some of each. Should be interesting to see what happens.

If he is trying to recognize the spin of an off-speed pitch, it make sense that he would be late on the fastball if he was having a hard time seeing it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
If he is trying to recognize the spin of an off-speed pitch, it make sense that he would be late on the fastball if he was having a hard time seeing it.

Also, I am not sure if LASIK can address a stigmatism, but that can effect how well you see moving objects. The faster it is, the harder it would be to see well.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
its crazy, the economy. who would have thought that had we wanted to sign abreu(5mil),hudson(3.4), and pudge(1mil or less), it would have cost us barely 10 mil for all 3 lol

Well Pudge is hardly surprising, there's an increasing belief throughout the league that he's just about done, his time with the Yankees last year was just embarrassing. Add in his limitations at the catcher position and reputation for being a poor influence in the clubhouse (he was HATED in that Tigers locker room) and it's hardly a surprise that no one wants him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Rogers also stated that Getz is way in the driver's seat to be the starting 2nd baseman. I like how he stated that if Getz can leadoff, then Anderson would be the starter and hit 9th. I think that's the scenario we all would like to see the most.

Will never happen. Not Getz winning 2nd, that's pretty likely. Anderson in CF.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
Rogers also stated that Getz is way in the driver's seat to be the starting 2nd baseman. I like how he stated that if Getz can leadoff, then Anderson would be the starter and hit 9th. I think that's the scenario we all would like to see the most.

AMEN.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
I have heard, but more importantly seen with my own eyes the love affair the organization with Owens.

You really think so? I'm not so sure.

When he got healthy and was starting to hit in Charlotte, the team had a chance to call him up and didn't... calling up Wise instead.

And Owens was surprised when it happened. He was under the impression he was getting called up when he was healthy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:00 AM)
I have heard, but more importantly seen with my own eyes the love affair the organization with Owens. Only an injury(like last year) is going to keep Owens out of CF, at least to start the season.

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I think we all are wondering if Jerry Owens groin will make another appearance.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Lets hope I'm wrong then. You bring up a really good point, I just know what I have seen first hand in Spring Training, along with reports from the media, among other things, that Owens still is held in extremely high regard, and he is really going to have to shoot himself in the foot to lose his grasp on the CF job.

Is Plaxico Burress anywhere around AZ and/or available?