Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Jesse Rogers saying Poreda WILL BE in the bullpen in 2009. He was very emphatic about it, like he's heard something about it officially.

Well, I'm glad I got his card autographed then.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
I just ordered tix to 3/1 against the Dodgers. Can't wait to see the new facility and, as a bonus, the Dodgers glorious home whites. It'll be like the '59 Series all over for my Dad. This time its personal.

It's just business, nothing personal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
Rogers also stated that Getz is way in the driver's seat to be the starting 2nd baseman. I like how he stated that if Getz can leadoff, then Anderson would be the starter and hit 9th. I think that's the scenario we all would like to see the most.

I can believe that. Maybe David Cook should play CF and hit 2nd. Then you got two guys on or Getz in scoring position for 3, 4, 5. Championship...

Does anyone really believe that David Cook's going to get a legit chance to win the CF job and that he's not just organizational filler?

Well, in my memory, the only time something so strange happened (besides Scott Radinsky and Boone Logan jumping from A ball) was John Cangelosi winning a starting outfield spot way back in the 80's.

Cook would have to jump over Owens, Anderson, Wise and probably even Jordan Danks and Shelby (yes, I know Shelby's not a natural CFer).

Not to mention Lillibridge will thrown into the mix if he doesn't beat out Getz and Nix, and then there's also Alexei Ramirez (5-10% chance).

Cook didn't even get an invite to spring training so he'll be in minor league camp and only play with the big boys during split squads and at the end of games after players have been optioned down and rosters are a little thin. He has pretty much no shot at a roster spot.

Jermaine was interviewed in the locker room yesterday

Says he wants to finish his career in Chicago :( I hope we can sign him to DH next year, he's my favorite player on the team and he seems to be very emotionally attached to the white sox organization

Hopefully we can work out a deal in the 2009-2010 offseason but I'm not holding my breath

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:11 AM)

Says he wants to finish his career in Chicago :( I hope we can sign him to DH next year, he's my favorite player on the team and he seems to be very emotionally attached to the white sox organization

Hopefully we can work out a deal in the 2009-2010 offseason but I'm not holding my breath

No thanks, Jermaine is an awful defensive player, I'd look to fill the role with a David Eckstein or Nick Punto type. Someone who can slap at the ball and make lots of outs.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:11 AM)

Withe the market what it is now, I'm 100% certain JD's mutual option will be passed on by the White Sox.He will get his $1 million buyout. Depending on how these guys perform, its not out of the realm of possibility he and/or Thome come back in 2010 at a very reduced rate.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 03:25 AM)
No thanks, Jermaine is an awful defensive player, I'd look to fill the role with a David Eckstein or Nick Punto type. Someone who can slap at the ball and make lots of outs.

LMAO!!! I know you're taking a shot at me, well played. :)

Anyway, even if Dye ended up being moved to DH, he would still be able to play a couple games at RF if they needed him to. He can even play 1B if needed as well. Unlike some other DH players out there. *cough-Thome-cough*

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
Cook didn't even get an invite to spring training so he'll be in minor league camp and only play with the big boys during split squads and at the end of games after players have been optioned down and rosters are a little thin. He has pretty much no shot at a roster spot.

Yeah, I'd love for Cook to get a shot at an OF position as a backup maybe. But ain't happening, barring some injuries. If the Sox can even get him to re-sign, then he's in AAA. If he rakes there, and there is an injury on the big club (Owens, anyone?), then Cook may well get called up.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
You guys know more about the Chi Sox than I do.

Is that Salmon guy good?

What is his velocity?

no, hes not good...hes a 29 year old career minor leaguer....was on the major league club for the reds for like 20 games in 07...but was in AAA for the royals all last year...i have no idea as to what he throws...but I can say with almost 100% certainty that he will either be cut from the organization entirely or will be just a another bullpen arm in AAA for a year

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
this is probably the most excited i've been following the sox, for a spring training ever

Not to challenge you in any way, but I'd like to hear you elaborate on that as to why you're so excited. It could lead to some good conversation here too.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
Not to challenge you in any way, but I'd like to hear you elaborate on that as to why you're so excited. It could lead to some good conversation here too.

mainly because, I have faith in Williams and his talent evaluation

2007 isn't happening again, this isn't a case of a massively injury-ridden team (at least not yet, crossing fingers)

as long as our team stays healthy, I feel we will contend for the division

edit: adding another, major, reason why I feel more excited this year. I feel this is the first time in a long while that the front office has taken a strong approach to eliminating the homerun - or - nothing offense that we've seen for so long

if these players can perform both offensively and defensively (Owens/BA, Getz/Lillibridge/Nix, Fields/Viciedo), it will bring a better all-around style to the team, rather than the age-old one-dimensional, slow prodding nucleus that we're tired of watching every year

Edited by joesaiditstrue

I can't decide if the man love around here for TCQ is funny or disturbing. :unsure: :lol:

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)

I'm not going to go as far as ever like he did, but I am with him in that this is as interested as I have been in seeing what happens during the spring since 2005. The last 3 springs, we kind of knew what was going on heading into spring training, but this year there are a lot of new (young) faces and open spots on the roster/in the rotation/everyday lineup/etc. I'll probably watch more spring training ball (I don't watch a ton of it normally to be honest) than I have in recent years.

With that in mind btw, the Sox depth chart was updated yesterday. I'm not sure if there is anything to gather from that (or even how much was changed on it during the update), but I haven't looked at the official site depth chart in a long time and I assume some people are in the same camp: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/depth...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

Edited by whitesoxfan101