Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)

No matter how convincing some blurb from Cheat's blog may be I'll just go with common sense which tells me that players signed to minor league deals don't go on the 40 man roster, that's sort of the whole point of signing someone to a minor league contract; they don't take up a roster spot.

And now after looking at Rotoworld I see that they confirmed 2 days after the Sox signed Nix that it was a major league deal.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...=MLB&id=488

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
No matter how convincing some blurb from Cheat's blog may be I'll just go with common sense which tells me that players signed to minor league deals don't go on the 40 man roster, that's sort of the whole point of signing someone to a minor league contract; they don't take up a roster spot.

And now after looking at Rotoworld I see that they confirmed 2 days after the Sox signed Nix that it was a major league deal.

ur always right :unsure:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Or you could just send Nix outright to AAA and watch him clear waivers like he did twice last season. He'd be even more redundant on the big league squad than Brian Anderson. Nix, Getz, Lillibridge and Betemit can all play 2B which as far as I know is the only position Nix is capable of playing. Nix was also cut by a team with no 2B (the Rockies) after posting 56 of the worst ABs imaginable last season. At least Brian had some success as a PH last season.

I don't know why anybody wants Nix on the team, nor do I understand why people think he's any good. Nix is trash.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)

I'm wondering why they just didn't claim him on waivers.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Nah, Gathright�s a freak athletically, Owens is just a guy who runs really fast. Both aren�t very good ball players. As for the bench scenario, I think we should go with 12 pitchers. We have enough depth in the organization that this move can be justified, especially because Carrasco, Richard, Russell, and Poreda/Marquez can pitch multiple innings pretty much every time out. Ideally, the bench would go something like Kroege, Stewart, Betemit, Getz, but in reality, I think we�re going to see Stewart, Betemit, Lillibridge, and Anderson. The problem being is that we don�t have a whole lot of pop coming off the bench. In the past, we could bring in a guy like Ross Gload and think we have a decent shot of extra-base hit every once in a while, but the real weakness�ll be trusting Stewart to give us anything offensively.

Results wise, what does Gathright do that is much different than Owens? They are both slap hitters with zero power. They both get bad reads in the field, and make up for it with their 80 speed. Maybe Gathright as more of an arm, and is a little better bunter, but they are identical players.

Did anyone see the video of Colon performing drills on Comcast? I was shocked by the sight of him because he didn't look too bad. He just kinda looked like a fat guy, not rotund, not anywhere near as out of shape as Sabathia, just fat. It almost looked like he's slimmed down from year's past or maybe I'm just seeing things, though my thoughts were confirmed by a few others in the room. There have been no pictures of him yet aside from the mugshot that was released which could have just been a bad picture.

Contreras and Colon are now on schedule to pitch in a game as soon as March 14, provided they continue their recovery from injuries. Contreras is recovering from a left Achilles tendon tear and Colon had bone chips removed from his right arm last fall.

Colon has been able to throw long toss, and he and Contreras are scheduled to throw off a mound Monday.

The Sox won't need a fourth and fifth starter until April 10-11, so there is plenty of time to alter the schedules of Contreras and Colon slightly if they're not fully ready.

Manager Ozzie Guillen all but said Brian Anderson would be on the Opening Day roster as a backup outfielder if he doesn't win the center field job.

"I don't know how we're going to do it, if it's going to be a platoon situation," Guillen said. "But I think Brian grew up a little bit as a man, and as a baseball player he's a lot better. The job he did for us last year was outstanding. He took his role very well."

News & Notes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
Which puts all the pressure on Owens/Wise and then Lillibridge/Nix/Getz...along with the back-up catcher race.

Haven't seen many mentions of Jimenez or Nunez taking the final spot in the pen. That's a possibility as well.

If Contreras and Colon make the Opening Day roster, then you have to figure Richard makes the team as the second lefty in the pen. Richard probably would have made the team without even showing up to ST.

If that happens, we have:

Jenks - CL

Thornton - LSU

Linebrink - RSU

Dotel - RMR

Richard - LMR

Carrasco - LR

Jimenez and Nunez would have to make pretty big jumps in order to make the team, but it is still a possibility.

The competition: Poreda, Link, Wassermann, Russell, MacDougal (if the Sox still are paying him, then he's going to be given a real shot in the hopes that he can show enough to have his salary dumped), Jimenez, Nunez, possibly others. I think Jimenez and Nunez are probably in the Cleveland Santeliz-type longshot-but-with-a-great-spring-we-have-to-take-you category. It seems like the Sox want Poreda in the pen too, so the competition could all be for naught. Link could actually be the favorite however if Poreda is sent to the minors to start since Wassermann and Russell both have options left.

Also, if Colon and Contreras both make the squad, you have to figure the Sox will need a LR to piggy-back the starters if necessary. Marquez could steal the final slot in that situation, or more likely, Poreda would make the pen as a second lefty with Richard and Carrasco both being used as LR/starter insurance. The Sox would probably separate Colon and Contreras in the rotation then, maybe going with a rotation of Buehrle-Contreras-Danks-Floyd-Colon after opening week, with the Sox skipping a start or using an offday to reset the rotation.

QUOTE (tommy @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
I saw some footage on TV today, Contereras looks in shape.

Bartolo isn't too bad, the usual him.

I saw the same thing. Contreras looked skinny almost freaky as it looked nothing like him. I agree with Kalapse in that Colon looked like Colon. Seeing the replay of the Anderson catch against the Twins makes me wish Owens and Wise would just go away. If Lillebridge can play center fine but forcing Owens and Wise out makes me ill.

in an ideal world Contreras and Colon make the rotation, with Richard in the pen, and Poreda and Marquez growing as starters in AAA

With the ability of Betemit to play everywhere on the IF, and Lillibridge to potentially play CF (and even Alexei if need be) I think the sox will take 12 pitchers...especially with jose and bartolo coming off of injury..

If I was ozzie right now, here would be my team

Getz 2b

Fields 3b

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Dye RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Ramriez SS

Anderson CF

I'm not too crazy with having two young guys at the top like that, but I assume 3-6 is locked in, so I like having strong OBPs up at the top, and cadidly I think Getz and Fields will have better obps than Alexei, Anderson and AJ

Bench: Armstrong, Betemit, Lillibridge, Owens (who would be great PR late, then he can go to left, CQ to right and Dye can come off the field) ...somehow i don't see us casting off wise, though i would like it

Bullpen: Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Richard, Carassco, Wasserman/nunez/Russell...I haven't seen nunez, but I like Russell better than Wasserman

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
in an ideal world Contreras and Colon make the rotation, with Richard in the pen, and Poreda and Marquez growing as starters in AAA

With the ability of Betemit to play everywhere on the IF, and Lillibridge to potentially play CF (and even Alexei if need be) I think the sox will take 12 pitchers...especially with jose and bartolo coming off of injury..

If I was ozzie right now, here would be my team

Getz 2b

Fields 3b

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Dye RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Ramriez SS

Anderson CF

I'm not too crazy with having two young guys at the top like that, but I assume 3-6 is locked in, so I like having strong OBPs up at the top, and cadidly I think Getz and Fields will have better obps than Alexei, Anderson and AJ

Bench: Armstrong, Betemit, Lillibridge, Owens (who would be great PR late, then he can go to left, CQ to right and Dye can come off the field) ...somehow i don't see us casting off wise, though i would like it

Bullpen: Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Richard, Carassco, Wasserman/nunez/Russell...I haven't seen nunez, but I like Russell better than Wasserman

Agree with all of this except for a couple things. I like Wise as a 4th OF since he can be clutch and has some pop. Lillibridge has speed like Owens, and from what I've read he sounds like he'd be the better baserunner there too. Owens really has nothing to offer this team IMO.

Also, if Josh has an OBP similar to Alexei it is because he's walking, but Josh's batting average is going to drag his OBP down the same way Alexei's batting average will pull his OBP up. If the choice is between the two, I'd rather have Alexei hitting 2nd because of his speed, contact, and the fact that the better hitter should get more AB's.

Getz is probably more of an ideal #2 hitter, but unless Lillibridge makes the team as a starter somewhere, he's probably the best fit we'd have there.

In my perfect world, Lillibridge is the starting 2B and lead-off man with Getz getting lots of productive playing time as a UT IF. Everything else would be what you've drawn up, especially in regards to our SP prospects staying in the minors to continue to develop.

That, and Jerry Owens would go out with Lance Broadway and Kyle McCulloch on a Sonoran Desert peyote adventure and end up lost for good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Has anyone seen Colon take long toss? Its not your average joe throwing from left field to RF. I remember sitting in my old seats in the bleachers watching Bartolo play long toss from left to right center and the ball never got higher than his head. It was a laser.

I remember sitting down the line in left field for a game in 2003 and seeing this, it was the most incredible display of arm strength I've ever seen in a game of long toss.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
I remember sitting down the line in left field for a game in 2003 and seeing this, it was the most incredible display of arm strength I've ever seen in a game of long toss.

Its possible we were watching it at the same time as thats when I had my seats out there. Unreal display. To this day I havent seen anyone do it like that. To put it in perspective for others, Buehrle probably throws the ball 10 feet above his head when playing long toss.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Wow, a little bit of love from Oz to BA. That just feels weird.

I've believed, and have said so, that Ozzie made BA pay his dues last year. Brian needed to grow up and Ozzie made that happen. I don't think Ozzie has anything against BA.

I guess the game thread is closed...first day's thoughts:

1) Flowers is really going to have to work on both throwing mechanics and blocking pitches

2) Nix and Josh Kroeger were the most impressive from a hitting perspective

3) Owens is still getting some bad reads out in CF

4) Who is Willie Anderson (pitcher)? I thought he played for the Spurs and UGA.

5) Brad Salmon is done, stick a form in him.

6) Wasserman and Russell didn't do anything to distinguish themselves...(John) Adam Russell (sorry DJ!) has a quickly diminishing star

7) Richard pitched well, Dotel was his normal unpredictable self and all over the place