Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
I dont think you can fake the fact he is already playing long toss after what could have been a career ending injury for a guy his age. He obviously took everything very serious in rehab and intends on getting back on the field.

I don't deny that. But, how does he keep losing this huge amount of weight? Does he continue putting on 20-30 pounds during the season, and then drop it in the offseason?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowley:

Other notes from the morning

--Position players aren't required to be in until Thursday, but they keep filing in earlier than expected. Brent Lillibridge, Jayson Nix, Jim Thome, Jerry Owens and Brian Anderson have all been in camp the last few days, getting some batting practice in, as well as Josh Fields, Jermaine Dye, and the list goes on.

Old man river

Pitcher Jose Contreras is doing light running and playing long toss, as he continued to surprise the club with how far ahead of schedule he is after suffering a ruptured Achilles last season.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said, "as soon as [Contreras] tells me he is ready to go on the mound he will be there.''

Quote of the day

"Colon was like 360 pounds when he won the Cy Young. He's not a model. When you're a model you have to look good. He's not a jockey. Colon is always going to be like that.'' - Manager Ozzie Guillen on chubby hurler Bartolo Colon.

Edited by RockRaines

Tidbits from Cowley, mods feel free to move it if this isn't appropriate thread for it.

"Flight to Phoenix is about to take off. And so the 2009 season begins."

"Early reports of Camelback Ranch ... Pitchers and catchers at 9 am... Cement workers at 7 am. "

"It would have been a good idea to have finished it before the start of spring, but I'm sure we'll all look tight in hard hats."

"Hertz rented me a car that wasn't there. Off to a great start. Stay hot Hertz!"

"Jose Contreras has lost 30 pounds and even Dotel is down 7 pounds. The old and fat rep has obviously hit home. "

"Early reviews from the players are all extremely positive. "

"First body in the training room ... Bartolo. Is that good? "

"Carlos Quentin is looking for a new anger management technique ... other than pounding the bat on his wrist. "

"Bartolo Colon said no go when asked to speak to the media on Monday. He's off to a great spring."

"Jose Contreras is already playing long toss. No timetable on his return to the mound, however."

"Gavin Floyd continues to impress. Enough so that Ken Williams said to Floyd: "Slow down. It's Feb. 17, not March 31."

"Brent Lillibridge looks like he's 12 years old. Ozzie Guillen wasted no time pointing that out. "

Edited by tommy

QUOTE (tommy @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Tidbits from Cowley, mods feel free to move it if this isn't appropriate thread for it.

"Flight to Phoenix is about to take off. And so the 2009 season begins."

"Early reports of Camelback Ranch ... Pitchers and catchers at 9 am... Cement workers at 7 am. "

"It would have been a good idea to have finished it before the start of spring, but I'm sure we'll all look tight in hard hats."

"Hertz rented me a car that wasn't there. Off to a great start. Stay hot Hertz!"

"Jose Contreras has lost 30 pounds and even Dotel is down 7 pounds. The old and fat rep has obviously hit home. "

"Early reviews from the players are all extremely positive. "

"First body in the training room ... Bartolo. Is that good? "

"Carlos Quentin is looking for a new anger management technique ... other than pounding the bat on his wrist. "

"Bartolo Colon said no go when asked to speak to the media on Monday. He's off to a great spring."

"Jose Contreras is already playing long toss. No timetable on his return to the mound, however."

"Gavin Floyd continues to impress. Enough so that Ken Williams said to Floyd: "Slow down. It's Feb. 17, not March 31."

"Brent Lillibridge looks like he's 12 years old. Ozzie Guillen wasted no time pointing that out. "

I think there was about one comment in that whole bunch that Cowley didn't turn cynical or negative. Maybe he should heed the advice Williams gave Floyd and dial it down a notch. You don't want to get into midseason form already!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
I think there was about one comment in that whole bunch that Cowley didn't turn cynical or negative. Maybe he should heed the advice Williams gave Floyd and dial it down a notch. You don't want to get into midseason form already!

Typical Cowley, i forgot to add take it FWIW!

More from Cowley:

GLENDALE, Ariz. - The best exchange between a pitcher and catcher in Tuesday's bullpen sessions? Leave it to A.J. Pierzynski and Mark Buehrle to capture that honor.

While Buehrle - never one to scare a radar gun - was throwing to Pierzynski, the catcher yelled to the southpaw, "I'm trying to break in a new glove,'' referring to the mid-80s fastball coming from Buehrle.

Buehrle's response?

"Well then you better catch someone else.''

Early reviews

The one pitcher that looks like doo-doo so far, at least according to his manager? Octavio Dotel.

But the right-handed reliever has an excuse. The plan for him was to come in and work on a changeup under the watchful eye of pitching coach Don Cooper.

It's obviously a work in progress from the early reviews.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
i saw how pudge might have no choice but to sign a minor league deal with the marlins. so theres no possibilty of him coming here?

AJ would not tolerate splitting time with another catcher. The Sox risk pissing him off if hedoes catch around 120 games. That situation would not benefit the Sox. Rodriguez would not come here to play around 40 games as a back up.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
can't imagine him playing backup - but hey, he is friends with ozzie

well at this point its not about what he want. if i were him id prefer to be a b/u than to sign a minor league deal. if u can get him for less than a mil , i dont c why u dont sign him. i guess bcuz about his supposed steriod use?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
well at this point its not about what he want. if i were him id prefer to be a b/u than to sign a minor league deal. if u can get him for less than a mil , i dont c why u dont sign him. i guess bcuz about his supposed steriod use?

if that were the case, then a LOT of guys are gonna be off the list.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-1...0,7410380.story

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen: No mistakes, no regrets in spring training

First full-team workout starts Thursday

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

February 19, 2009

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Competition and patience will be the watch words Thursday as the White Sox conduct their first full-squad workout with an array of open starting jobs.

"There are so many things we're looking for and so many things we have to be careful about what we're doing," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We can't make any mistakes and regret anything we do. We can't make statements so quick."

Second base and center field have received the most scrutiny. But Guillen's biggest concern is third base, where any injury to Josh Fields would result in either journeyman Wilson Betemit or 19-year-old Cuban slugger Dayan Viciedo taking over.

Viciedo reported Wednesday, appearing 2 inches shorter than his once-reported 6-foot-1-inch height but looking fitter than originally reported.

Related links

White Sox Jim Thome, 38, in preservation mode

2009 White Sox spring training schedule

White Sox at spring training White Sox at spring training Photos

Hardball: White Sox updates from Glendale Hardball: White Sox updates from Glendale

"If this kid comes on like Alexei [Ramirez] did, I don't mind taking him," Guillen said.

Guillen also repeated earlier comments by general manager Ken Williams that prospect Tyler Flowers would be the regular catcher in the event of an injury to durable A.J. Pierzynski, even though Flowers, 24, has never played above Class A.

"If A.J. is here or not [because of the World Baseball Classic], we're going to see Flowers," Guillen said, referring to extra playing time Flowers would receive with leading backup candidates Corky Miller and Chris Stewart.

With a nucleus of Ramirez, Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko, the offense isn't a worry for Guillen.

But selecting a second baseman and a center fielder takes on greater importance as Guillen values defense more because of the absence of an overpowering pitching staff.

And the back end of the rotation could get more crowded if Jose Contreras and Bartolo Colon recover from their injuries by Opening Day, which could move Jeff Marquez and Clayton Richard to long relief roles.

"You remember last year we had to sit Carlos Quentin back for a week to get back on track, and he was out of the picture, and then he played his way into the picture and got back on the club," Guillen said.

Williams has stuck with young players to compete for starting jobs, and newcomer Jayson Nix is grateful for a chance to regain a starting job he lost with Colorado last year.

"They've seen me quite a bit in spring training in Tucson," Nix said. "They're pretty comfortable with knowing what kind of player I am."

Richard, meanwhile, hopes he can continue to impress the major-league coaching staff as he did last September at Yankee Stadium and in the American League Division Series against Tampa Bay.

"It definitely helps to understand what the game is about," Richard said in comparing the major and minor leagues. "I want to get into the rotation. That's my goal, but before I do that, I have to focus on everything. I can't look past that."