Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
mainly because, I have faith in Williams and his talent evaluation

2007 isn't happening again, this isn't a case of a massively injury-ridden team (at least not yet, crossing fingers)

as long as our team stays healthy, I feel we will contend for the division

edit: adding another, major, reason why I feel more excited this year. I feel this is the first time in a long while that the front office has taken a strong approach to eliminating the homerun - or - nothing offense that we've seen for so long

if these players can perform both offensively and defensively (Owens/BA, Getz/Lillibridge/Nix, Fields/Viciedo), it will bring a better all-around style to the team, rather than the age-old one-dimensional, slow prodding nucleus that we're tired of watching every year

I'm with you on this. I'm really fascinated with Kenny Williams and this spring in particular. OK, every once in a while a guy can get lucky on taking another organization's failed top prospect...but Kenny did it with Quentin, Jenks and Floyd in the last few years...guys that when we got them people said, m'heh. And now they are stars. And you think...maybe he was lucky or maybe...I don't know, maybe he sees things the rest of the GM's don't. Then this offseason he acquires Marquez, Betemit, Lillibridge, Van Benschoten and Nix and one has to sit up and wonder.

Then KW did the same with international players...Tadahiro Iguchi, Shingo Takatsu and then last year Lexi...and now this year he adds Viciedo...who might be the most intriguing of all.

And even the eye rolling over Bartolo Colon...but remember him pulling Estaban Loaiza off the old players scrap heap? Remember El Duque? Contreas? Jermaine Dye. Maybe it's not so crazy.

Add into that mix, after the mess of the Sox minor league organization in the past we are presented with maybe the most interesting six pack of sox prospects at one camp...Flowers, Poreda, Allen, Bekham, Danks and Allen.

And that's a dozen guys that are interesting. Sure everyone is a "maybe". But for most organizations "maybe's" are just organizational mirages sent to fans to give false hope. I've followed a lot of Sox teams over the last forty years and in so many years the Maybe's would be Getz, Fields and Broadway...and if you thought too hard about them you realized third place wasn't so bad. But Kenny? Maybe Kenny has a gift. If he does...perhaps the next WS isn't so far off.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
Jose looks good, his latest weight loss becomes him and he's sporting a goatee much like the one that made an appearance in '07. (possibly a bad omen)

contrerasjose.jpg

he actually doesn't look like he could scare children just by smiling and sayin hi...

weird.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 05:53 AM)
Add into that mix, after the mess of the Sox minor league organization in the past we are presented with maybe the most interesting six pack of sox prospects at one camp...Flowers, Poreda, Allen, Bekham, Danks and Allen.

I like Allen too but I still don't think he's so good that he counts double.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
I'm with you on this. I'm really fascinated with Kenny Williams and this spring in particular. OK, every once in a while a guy can get lucky on taking another organization's failed top prospect...but Kenny did it with Quentin, Jenks and Floyd in the last few years...guys that when we got them people said, m'heh. And now they are stars. And you think...maybe he was lucky or maybe...I don't know, maybe he sees things the rest of the GM's don't. Then this offseason he acquires Marquez, Betemit, Lillibridge, Van Benschoten and Nix and one has to sit up and wonder.

Then KW did the same with international players...Tadahiro Iguchi, Shingo Takatsu and then last year Lexi...and now this year he adds Viciedo...who might be the most intriguing of all.

And even the eye rolling over Bartolo Colon...but remember him pulling Estaban Loaiza off the old players scrap heap? Remember El Duque? Contreas? Jermaine Dye. Maybe it's not so crazy.

And that's a dozen guys that are interesting. Sure everyone is a "maybe". But for most organizations "maybe's" are just organizational mirages sent to fans to give false hope. I've followed a lot of Sox teams over the last forty years and in so many years the Maybe's would be Getz, Fields and Broadway...and if you thought too hard about them you realized third place wasn't so bad. But Kenny? Maybe Kenny has a gift. If he does...perhaps the next WS isn't so far off.

How dare you spell Tadahito's name incorrectly.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
I like Allen too but I still don't think he's so good that he counts double.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
How dare you spell Tadahito's name incorrectly.

Boy, you guys will nitpick anyone to death, huh?

Can't you see that he's only a monkey who was owned by a famous mural painter?

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Boy, you guys will nitpick anyone to death, huh?

Can't you see that he's only a monkey who was owned by a famous mural painter?

I'd expect a monkey with the ability to type to not make such mistakes, especially one owned by a genius such as Michelangelo.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
I'd expect a monkey with the ability to type to not make such mistakes, especially one owned by a genius such as Michelangelo.

What does Michelangelo's genius have to do with his monkey? Typically one's genius doesn't pass on to our pets. Ask Frank Thomas's cat...never learned the strike zone.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
What does Michelangelo's genius have to do with his monkey? Typically one's genius doesn't pass on to our pets. Ask Frank Thomas's cat...never learned the strike zone.

Jim Thome's horse hardly ever takes walks.

It's only a blurb, but today's Tribune sets up the scenario of Lillibridge, Betemit, Owens, Wise, and a catcher making the team, 12 pitchers being carried, and Anderson going back to AAA.

Starting positions are open at second base and center field, but the competition to merely land a backup spot could intensify if the White Sox carry a 12-man pitching staff.

That could sway heavily in Brent Lillibridge's favor, manager Ozzie Guillen said Sunday, because of Lillibridge's ability to play shortstop, second base and center field.

"If we're going to take 12 [pitchers], it's going to be a tough call," said Guillen, who often has opted to open with a 12-man staff. "The problem is the outfield. We have three guys for one spot [center field]. We have to be careful what we need."

Jerry Owens and Dewayne Wise hit left-handed and are out of options. Brian Anderson is the team's best defensive center fielder but has two minor-league options left.

"Sometimes you can't take the guy who had the best spring training," Guillen said. "It's the guy you don't start that you're going to use the most. But right now, if you're looking for someone who can play all three positions, I think Lillibridge is the one who can play short, second and the outfield."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
It's only a blurb, but today's Tribune sets up the scenario of Lillibridge, Betemit, Owens, Wise, and a catcher making the team, 12 pitchers being carried, and Anderson going back to AAA.

what happens to Nix? AAA? I understand that lillibridge has the ability to play multiple positions and is fast, but look at the AAA numbers of Nix and those of lillibridge last year....not even comparable

Nix .303/.373/.591 17 HR 11 SB (thats a huge SLG...21 2b and 17 HR in only 260 ABs is a boatload)

Lillibridge .220/.294/.344 4 HR 23 SB

I like Nix more than most and wish he would make the team, but I think Ozzie will certainly start Getz (which is also fine by me) and that makes it tough for Nix to make the team as he basically can't play anywhere else but 2b. Betemit is a lock, as is whoever will backup C....if we carry 12 pitchers that leaves only 2 spots for some combination owens/anderson/wise/lillibridge/nix with one of those first 3 starting in CF

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
if they screw brian over by not giving him a job then he should be traded somewhere that he'll get the chance to play every day. I really don't give a s*** who has options left. How about you just put the best team out there?

If there was anyone offering as anything for Anderson, he would have been gone years ago.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Translation: It doesn't matter how well you do in this "competition" in the Spring, Brian. You won't make the team either way.

Well, the kid rakes in ST every year, then goes to Chicago and sucks ass. It should be taken into consideration when evaluating BA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
If there was anyone offering as anything for Anderson, he would have been gone years ago.

I don't think anyone out there thinks he can hit well enough at the major league level to be a starting OF.

For a team like the Padres though, who could use a really good defensive CF to cover the ground in PETCO (and it's not like they're great on offense anyways), he'd make a lot of sense.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Does anyone think that another team would pick up Owens if he throws out a sub-par spring? Wise as well.

Owens probably, Wise no. I think the rest of the league understands that Dewayne Wise is not a major league hitter hence why he passed through waiver last season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Why? They both had sporatic at bats last year and Wise outperformed BA. What reason is it that BA should get the nod?

Dewayne Wise is incapable of playing a decent centerfield or leftfield for that matter, that's why. There wasn't a large enough difference in their on field play to make up for this fact. Their numbers were almost identical.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)

Much like Frank, the cat would arch his back and form a question mark with his torso when pitched inside.