Spring Training Reports

Kalapse

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Dewayne Wise is incapable of playing a decent centerfield or leftfield for that matter, that's why. There wasn't a large enough difference in their on field play to make up for this fact. Their numbers were almost identical.

So, BA should make the team on defense, and Wise shouldnt make it even though he hits better? Because of Lillibridge's defensive abilities across several positions, this pretty much makes BA worthless on this team doesnt it?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
So, BA should make the team on defense, and Wise shouldnt make it even though he hits better? Because of Lillibridge's defensive abilities across several positions, this pretty much makes BA worthless on this team doesnt it?

How is Wise a better hitter? He had slightly better numbers in less ABs and ended the regular season in a death spiral. Bill James has them putting up near identical OPSs next season (.735 for Wise and .744 for Brian). I don't see much of a use for an outfielder who plays terrible defense and gives you very little at the plate, Wise has some pop and can run a little but that's all he does well. Hell Wise and Anderson had near identical ISOs last season, .202 for Wise and .204 for Brian so even the power argument holds no water.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
How is Wise a better hitter? He had slightly better numbers in less ABs and ended the regular season in a death spiral. Bill James has them putting up near identical OPSs next season (.742 for Wise and .744 for Brian). I don't see much of a use for an outfielder who plays terrible defense and gives you very little at the plate, Wise has some pop and can run a little but that's all he does well. Hell Wise and Anderson had near identical ISOs last season, .202 for Wise and .204 for Brian so even the power argument holds no water.

Projections dont mean much to me. I saw Wise hit better than BA last season, its in the numbers.

Regardless, what does BA bring to this team? He is a defensive sub for CF. For CF we have Lilli, Owens, BA, Wise realistically competing. I'm not sure BA can bring enough to the table to make him the starter, so basically its a 3 man fight for the 4th OF'er position. If Lilli doesnt win the starting job, I'm betting 100 percent than he makes the team based on his ability to backup 2B, SS and CF which leaves the starting position the only opening and the only chance for BA to make the team. I dont think the chances of him starting are all that great IMO, but of course he rakes in ST so maybe he will give us false hope once again.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Projections dont mean much to me. I saw Wise hit better than BA last season, its in the numbers.

Regardless, what does BA bring to this team? He is a defensive sub for CF. For CF we have Lilli, Owens, BA, Wise realistically competing. I'm not sure BA can bring enough to the table to make him the starter, so basically its a 3 man fight for the 4th OF'er position. If Lilli doesnt win the starting job, I'm betting 100 percent than he makes the team based on his ability to backup 2B, SS and CF which leaves the starting position the only opening and the only chance for BA to make the team. I dont think the chances of him starting are all that great IMO, but of course he rakes in ST so maybe he will give us false hope once again.

Show me. Then give me a few good reasons why Wise should make the team not why Brian shouldn't.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Show me. Then give me a few good reasons why Wise should make the team not why Brian shouldn't.

Sorry, you edited after I replied.

And I dont think ANYONE could find a reason why Wise should make the team, I think you are trying to make my initial post something it wasnt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)

And I dont think ANYONE could find a reason why Wise should make the team, I think you are trying to make my initial post something it wasnt.

I meant no ill will. Just wanted to add an addendum to my post.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
I meant no ill will. Just wanted to add an addendum to my post.

To be honest, I think BA is a great defensive player, but I feel like we have CF'ers in our system right now that could probably hit better than him. The problem is that in ST he will rake, we will all think he is turning the corner, and then he hits .230-.240

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)

I think age and ceiling is why you keep Anderson over Wise. Wise and Owens do the same thing, to have both on teh team is stupid.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)

I think age and ceiling is why you keep Anderson over Wise. Wise and Owens do the same thing, to have both on teh team is stupid.

im sure they probly will keep wise bcuz didnt they sign him to a 1yr/750 contract?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
www.google.com for next time

BA

.232 .272 .709

Wise

.248 .293 .742

+.16 in BA

+.21 in OBP

+.33 in OPS

both terrible, Wise slightly outperformed BA. Both arent major league hitters.

And here's why that .33 point difference means absolutely nothing especially with such a small sample size:

BB%

Wise: 5.8%

Brian: 5.2%

ISO:

Wise: .202

Brian: .204

The difference between Wise and Anderson last year was a HBP and a single. So in other words there was no difference. Given the rather large difference in age and talent I can't think of a single reason to keep Wise over Anderson. You take the better player regardless.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
And here's why that .33 point difference means absolutely nothing especially with such a small sample size:

BB%

Wise: 5.8%

Brian: 5.2%

ISO:

Wise: .202

Brian: .204

The difference between Wise and Anderson last year was a HBP and a singles. So in other words there was no difference. Given the rather large difference in age and talent I can't think of a single reason to keep Wise over Anderson. You take the better player regardless.

In other words, they both suck.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)

Except one of them is 4 years younger, still has potential and can play elite defense at 3 positions. I'm not about ready to give up on Brian after only 2 major league seasons, 1 as a platoon player and the other as a sporadic bench player. Of course I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
They gave him $550K or slightly above league minimum, they won't hesitate to eat that salary.

they could of had blanco for 750k instead and he actually would have helped. <_>

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Except one of them is 4 years younger, still has potential and can play elite defense at 3 positions. I'm not about ready to give up on Brian after only 2 major league seasons, 1 as a platoon player and the other as a sporadic bench player. Of course I don't expect everyone to feel the same way.

Well, he is on the cusp of 27 years old when prospect status starts vanishing. Its actually hard to believe that BA and Q have played the same number of games at this point in their careers.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)

Wise was doing just fine until he was forced to play every day due to Q going down. Then he was exposed. I wouldn't mind either as the 4th OF at this point with Brian getting the nod because of his glove. I've long given up on the idea of Brian ever being competent with the bat.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)

Not to mention, as I've illustrated before, Anderson raked at every level in the minors. Wise wasn't even particularly good during his minor league career. Which should be an obvious indicator of Brian's potential being much higher.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)

Its a pipe dream.

If BA is never given a long period of time to start, we never will know if he can be competent with the bat. He has a very long swing which will always prevent him for hitting for a good average, but if given enough time to find some type of rhythm at the plate, he may be able to hit .240 over the course of a full season, and with the defense he plays and the power he can produce, that would make him a very valuable player as a #9 hitter. I honestly would not be surprised to see Anderson put up something along the lines of .240/.310/.440/.750, and with gold glove defense in CF, he's probably a top 10-15 CF in the game.