Buehrle would consider retirement

Princess Dye

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 04:07 AM)
I can see us signing him to a very similar deal we did a few years ago in 2011, assuming he performs at the same level. He'll only be 33 when this contract is up, correct? I don't see him retiring.

Don't count out the economy having a major impact through that time.

• 11 months later...

He was just on the Hot Stove. They gave him some softball questions ("you pitch quickly..." duh. And "do you like the direction your team is going in?") but they also asked if he was still thinking about retirement after this contract is up. He said yes, pretty firmly, because he wants to spend time with the family. But he also noted that his wife thinks he's full of it.

Everyone else on the network agreed with his wife. So do I. What about you guys?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
He was just on the Hot Stove. They gave him some softball questions ("you pitch quickly..." duh. And "do you like the direction your team is going in?") but they also asked if he was still thinking about retirement after this contract is up. He said yes, pretty firmly, because he wants to spend time with the family. But he also noted that his wife thinks he's full of it.

Everyone else on the network agreed with his wife. So do I. What about you guys?

He's too much of a competitor to give it up, plus, I think his wife will convince him to keep going.

I just want him to pitch till he get's 300 wins (Sun-Times projected it to be around 2018, so he can't retire for at least 8 more years)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
He's too much of a competitor to give it up, plus, I think his wife will convince him to keep going.

I just want him to pitch till he get's 300 wins (Sun-Times projected it to be around 2018, so he can't retire for at least 8 more years)

2010-2018. That's nine seasons. He would have to average 18.33 wins a year to get to 300. So the Sun-Times is bat s*** crazy.

I'd like it if he stuck around for 200 wins with the Sox, and added another ring or two.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
2010-2018. That's nine seasons. He would have to average 18.33 wins a year to get to 300. So the Sun-Times is bat s*** crazy.

I'd like it if he stuck around for 200 wins with the Sox, and added another ring or two.

Maybe my memories off on the year they said. It also had Zambrano getting 300 a year after Buehrle.

Found it: "I saw a prediction in the paper," Buehrle said recently when asked if there was any chance he'd become the next Randy Johnson, joining the elite club of pitchers to win 300 games. "I'd need 17 wins for another 10 years. I'll be 41 in 2020. If I had to bet right now, there's no way in hell I'll still be pitching when I'm 41."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...hrle/index.html

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
I actually think he's serious as well. I'd be sad, but not at all surprised if he actually does retire when his contract is up

Of all players to believe when they talk about quitting early, Mark would be at the top of the list. After all this is a guy who pretty obviously took a lot less money and years to stay in Chicago with the Sox. Obviously money isn't everything to him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
His deal is up after 2011 which would be his age 32 season.

I can't see him retiring then.

I hope he signs with the Sox again after that. It really does seem as if he plans to play with the Cardinals at some point though.

I respect what he says but someone needs to talk some sense into him. Granted he's already made a boatload of money but just another 3 years could net him an additional $27M dollars or more....that's just ludicrous and an opportunity that not many people on this earth get. When you have a chance to build generational wealth so quickly, for playing a game, you'd be a fool to walk away when you've still got a good 7-10 years of pitching left in your arm. It's not like he's a lineman on a football team who will face years of pain and suffering for extending his career, he's a baseball player. My wife would kick my ass if I were him and retired.

The guy gets drafted where you never make the Bigs, he has no real MLB fastball, yet he is offered millions to just do his job, and he gets to play within 6 hours of his hometown. I fail to see any downside other than traveling a lot.

There are a lot of sales guys who travel every week and only see their family on the weekends; plus they only make a fraction of the money that MLB guys make.

Buehrle might kick himself inside when he's 70 and his grandkids ask him why he didn't pitch longer when he had the chance.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
If he retires, that's his decision, but to retire at age 32 and leave that much money, pitching success, and potential memories on the table as a baseball player makes no sense. This isn't like football where you risk your health and limb at all times.

And I think if Buehrle pitches until about 41, he has a chance to be a H.O.F if he can get around 280-300 wins. World Series Ring, Gold Glove, All-star appearances, 2 No-hitters, Perfect Game. In 9 years he could had 1 more to each one of those things.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
And I think if Buehrle pitches until about 41, he has a chance to be a H.O.F if he can get around 280-300 wins. World Series Ring, Gold Glove, All-star appearances, 2 No-hitters, Perfect Game. In 9 years he could had 1 more to each one of those things.

"I saw a prediction in the paper," Buehrle said recently when asked if there was any chance he'd become the next Randy Johnson, joining the elite club of pitchers to win 300 games. "I'd need 17 wins for another 10 years. I'll be 41 in 2020. If I had to bet right now, there's no way in hell I'll still be pitching when I'm 41."

If he pitched until 41, I could see him accumulating stats that would make him likely for the Hall of Fame. He'd probably get 2-5 GG's (with Mussina and Rogers gone), and maybe 2-3 All-Stars.

I think it's absurd that so many of you would consider him a fool for passing up an offer for more money. If the man decides to retire, I'm sure he's considered how much money he's already accumulated. The man has his own priorities, and he seems to have them straightened out pretty well.

Mark Buehrle doesn't care about his career statistics or his chances at the Hall of Fame. He (probably) has more money than he, or his children, will ever need. He doesn't need to squeeze every last dime out of his playing career. I respect the hell out of him for that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I think it's absurd that so many of you would consider him a fool for passing up an offer for more money. If the man decides to retire, I'm sure he's considered how much money he's already accumulated. The man has his own priorities, and he seems to have them straightened out pretty well.

Mark Buehrle doesn't care about his career statistics or his chances at the Hall of Fame. He (probably) has more money than he, or his children, will ever need. He doesn't need to squeeze every last dime out of his playing career. I respect the hell out of him for that.

I agree with about everything you said here.

At the same time, how many guys do this?

We hear about retiring to spend more time with the wife and kids, but seriously, those guys almost always seem to end up coming back. I'm with his wife...I'm not buying this.