Buehrle would consider retirement

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
I think it's absurd that so many of you would consider him a fool for passing up an offer for more money. If the man decides to retire, I'm sure he's considered how much money he's already accumulated. The man has his own priorities, and he seems to have them straightened out pretty well.

Mark Buehrle doesn't care about his career statistics or his chances at the Hall of Fame. He (probably) has more money than he, or his children, will ever need. He doesn't need to squeeze every last dime out of his playing career. I respect the hell out of him for that.

This too. Good for Mark. I hope he does whatever makes him happy, and never looks back.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's absurd that so many of you would consider him a fool for passing up an offer for more money. If the man decides to retire, I'm sure he's considered how much money he's already accumulated. The man has his own priorities, and he seems to have them straightened out pretty well.

Mark Buehrle doesn't care about his career statistics or his chances at the Hall of Fame. He (probably) has more money than he, or his children, will ever need. He doesn't need to squeeze every last dime out of his playing career. I respect the hell out of him for that.

Come of the end of his current contract he'll have made ~$88M over the course of his career in salary alone, that's more than a enough to live off of and pass along to the kids. I believe his daughter and son will be 2 and 4 respectively come 2011, sounds like a perfect time to walk away to me. If it's something he truly wishes to do and has the will power to pull off then more power to him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
Come of the end of his current contract he'll have made ~$88M over the course of his career in salary alone, that's more than a enough to live off of and pass along to the kids. I believe his daughter and son will be 2 and 4 respectively come 2011, sounds like a perfect time to walk away to me. If it's something he truly wishes to do and has the will power to pull off then more power to him.

Seeing that number is wild. When I watch Mark Buehrle pitch, I don't think of a guy that's going to make close to 9 digits in his playing career, but goddamn is he good and he deserves it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
He can do whatever he wants, but if he quits at 31, takes a year off, and then comes back and pitches for the Cardinals for 4 or 5 years, I'd be a little pissed if he did that. Don't be a Favre. Stop talking about it, but when you do it, stay gone.

If he did, I would never wear my Buehrle shirt again as long as he played.

And I wear it once a week, so that'd be change.

Very good post MD. Hell we just heard of a top prospect pass up the opportunity to go to the big leagues and go into priesthood. (Yes I know it's not the same as a real big leaguer, but the end of the goal is) It isn't uncommon for athletes to walk away from the game early. If Mark wants to do that, then you have to respect that decision.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
Very good post MD. Hell we just heard of a top prospect pass up the opportunity to go to the big leagues and go into priesthood. (Yes I know it's not the same as a real big leaguer, but the end of the goal is) It isn't uncommon for athletes to walk away from the game early. If Mark wants to do that, then you have to respect that decision.

I hope he is Coop's successor.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
yeah, not sympathetic, so few people have the talent and luck to be successful at the big league level. There's no nobility in finishing early just so you can lounge for the next 50 years of your life. Give me a break.

That lounging would be enjoying time with his family, including the two young children he has. Yea, what a douche for wanting that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
bmags didn't call Buehrle a douche

Yea, I overreacted and exaggerated that part. Still, I definitely dont agree that that someone should stay and keep doing something just because they are good at it, its his life, if he wants t obe with his family than you should have no problem with that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
Yea, I overreacted and exaggerated that part. Still, I definitely dont agree that that someone should stay and keep doing something just because they are good at it, its his life, if he wants t obe with his family than you should have no problem with that.

Talk is cheap. When you're ready to go, go. We don't need to constantly (not saying this is the case, but we've heard this talk from Mark more than once now) hear about it. And I for one don't look at somebody in a different light because they choose to walk away from something they're still very good at early. Like Shack said, that rarely ever happens.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
Who?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm almost certain he's talking about Harold Baines.

^^^^

"hey kids, let's head to the Hall of Fame to see the greatest people to play baseball!"

"But dad most of these guys did drugs, cheated, and a bunch of things you tell me not do??"

"I guess that is what baseball and baseball fans are the most proud of . . ." :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
I respect what he says but someone needs to talk some sense into him. Granted he's already made a boatload of money but just another 3 years could net him an additional $27M dollars or more....that's just ludicrous and an opportunity that not many people on this earth get. When you have a chance to build generational wealth so quickly, for playing a game, you'd be a fool to walk away when you've still got a good 7-10 years of pitching left in your arm. It's not like he's a lineman on a football team who will face years of pain and suffering for extending his career, he's a baseball player. My wife would kick my ass if I were him and retired.

What? $84 million is not generational wealth? Happiness is more important than money. He already has the money, and he will NEVER be able to get back the time when his children are the ages he is leaving town to play baseball. I hate the time I am at work from 7-4 each day away from my 2 year old son. I could not imagine leaving for weeks at a time away from him. What do you hear most from the HOF'ers that had families during their careers: "And I want to thank my wife for doing such a great job raising our children, because I was on the road...." Just maybe, he wants to be part of that. Maybe he wants to see his kid ride his bike for the first time without training wheels instead of his wife telling him about it, or maybe be there to console him/her when they break their arm. Just maybe he would rather his kids and family think of him as a Hall of Fame father rather than have strangers think of him as a Hall of Fame ballplayer.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
^^^^

"hey kids, let's head to the Hall of Fame to see the greatest people to play baseball!"

"But dad most of these guys did drugs, cheated, and a bunch of things you tell me not do??"

"I guess that is what baseball and baseball fans are the most proud of . . ." :unsure:

shouldn't that be baseball writers? Aren't they the ones who vote then in?