Sign-and-trade Orlando Cabrera?

Kenny Hates Prospects

There's another thread on this in the diamond club but I figured I'd start one here because this pertains to the Sox.

The Dodgers were rumored earlier on to have interest in signing OC but they didn't want to give up their first rounder. It appears the A's are also interested but don't want to give up their second rounder. The Sox get a supplemental first in addition to that if Cabrera signs elsewhere. If Cabrera doesn't sign before the deadline then the Sox obviously get nothing.

The question is, if you are KW, do you hold out hoping a team will sign Cabrera before the deadline and net you that (likely) second round pick plus the supplemental pick? Or do you take the safer route, and try to find an interested team that would make a deal of Cabrera for 2 prospects, one of which the Sox value equally with a supplemental pick, and another a high upside throw-in?

I bring up the Dodgers mainly because the Sox are now sharing facilities with them and will likely become a regular trade partner going forward like the D'backs were. The Sox are going to get a great chance to see any Dodgers 'spects they like, so perhaps a match can be found. Lets say the Dodgers value player A as less than a first round pick, but the Sox view that same player as equal to a supplemental first round pick or higher. The Sox could then sign Cabrera, trade him for that prospect and some longshot throw-in to go along with it, and now everybody is happy. The Dodgers get their player without having to lose a draft pick or give up a prized prospect, Cabrera is signed, and the Sox get a player that is already under contract and performing at the minor league level, so they get first round talent but save the first round bonus money, and they don't have to worry about getting shut out of a couple draft picks. To me this sounds like it could be an interesting route to take.

First, there is no such thing as a sign and trade in MLB. If you sign a free agent, you have to wait until June (I believe) to trade him.

Second, Cabrera already said that last year was the worst season of his career. He hates the Sox and the Sox don't like him. On top of that, the Sox aren't going to shell out any more money to risk getting caught holding Cabrera.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 06:33 AM)
First, there is no such thing as a sign and trade in MLB. If you sign a free agent, you have to wait until June (I believe) to trade him.

Second, Cabrera already said that last year was the worst season of his career. He hates the Sox and the Sox don't like him. On top of that, the Sox aren't going to shell out any more money to risk getting caught holding Cabrera.

well, the MLB actually is granting exceptions this offseason for sign and trades because of the marketplace for teams that dont want to lose draft picks. So actually there ARE sign and trades this offseason.

He does have the right to waive that clause, about not being able to be traded until June...I think I read that somewhere.

Well, this case, Varitek, Juan Cruz....they were all pretty unique. I think the White Sox would obviously have to work everything out (although I'm not sure they could put it in black and white obviously, handshake type of deal/gentleman's agreement) first with the other teams in terms of the contract numbers and the prospects coming to the Sox. Or maybe it would be one of those deals like the one for Carl Everett where the Rangers were offered a pool of players to choose from...it could also be tied into Cabrera's 2009 performance level theoretically.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 06:42 AM)
He does have the right to waive that clause, about not being able to be traded until June...I think I read that somewhere.

Well, this case, Varitek, Juan Cruz....they were all pretty unique. I think the White Sox would obviously have to work everything out (although I'm not sure they could put it in black and white obviously, handshake type of deal/gentleman's agreement) first with the other teams in terms of the contract numbers and the prospects coming to the Sox. Or maybe it would be one of those deals like the one for Carl Everett where the Rangers were offered a pool of players to choose from...it could also be tied into Cabrera's 2009 performance level theoretically.

I'd omit Varitek from that group. Varitek's situation was nothing but pure stupidity and greed on his part. Boston offered arb and NO ONE was going to take Varitek for an equal or greater salary PLUS give up a pick on top of that but yet Varitek passed. For all this s*** about Borass being a top agent, it doesn't sound like he knows how to assess a market, and Varitek should have known better than to take his idiotic advice. Varitek should have fired that assclown on the spot. It seems that Borass' only good deals lately have been with his no-brainer candidates like A-Rod and Teixera. He got dropped by a few players and almost f***ed Pedro Alvarez out of playing in 2009 among other things.

The situations for Juan Cruz, Orlando Cabrera, and Orlando Hudson are unfortunate however. Those are all very good players who are worth last year's market value and are certainly worth a couple draft picks. If Cruz does do a sign-and-trade with the D'Backs I hope we enter the picture, especially if he's only going to cost like $3M on a 1-year deal or something like that.

Edit: I just have to add that isn't it funny how the Cubs spent $82M this offseason on 3 years of Milton Bradley and 4 of Ryan Dempster, $23M in '09, when they could have had Abreu + Cruz + Lowe for the same price per year? And they traded their best pitching 'spect for Kevin Gregg, then failed to get Jake Peavy for basically nothing because they spent too much money on Alfonso Soriano, Jason Marquis, and Kosuke Fukudome. Stupid Cubs. They'll never win.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
It seems that Borass' only good deals lately have been with his no-brainer candidates like A-Rod and Teixera. He ...almost f***ed Pedro Alvarez out of playing in 2009 among other things.

he made alvarez millions of extra dollars with no penalty whatsoever (alvarez wasn't gonna play in '08 anyway). tough to see how that was anything but a good deal for his client. if anything, the strategy almost f***ed over a different client of his--hosmer, not alvarez--but even there i'm guessing he talked it over with hosmer first and that the week or two of playing time hosmer lost won't affect his development at all.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
I'd omit Varitek from that group. Varitek's situation was nothing but pure stupidity and greed on his part. Boston offered arb and NO ONE was going to take Varitek for an equal or greater salary PLUS give up a pick on top of that but yet Varitek passed. For all this s*** about Borass being a top agent, it doesn't sound like he knows how to assess a market, and Varitek should have known better than to take his idiotic advice. Varitek should have fired that assclown on the spot. It seems that Borass' only good deals lately have been with his no-brainer candidates like A-Rod and Teixera. He got dropped by a few players and almost f***ed Pedro Alvarez out of playing in 2009 among other things.

The situations for Juan Cruz, Orlando Cabrera, and Orlando Hudson are unfortunate however. Those are all very good players who are worth last year's market value and are certainly worth a couple draft picks. If Cruz does do a sign-and-trade with the D'Backs I hope we enter the picture, especially if he's only going to cost like $3M on a 1-year deal or something like that.

Edit: I just have to add that isn't it funny how the Cubs spent $82M this offseason on 3 years of Milton Bradley and 4 of Ryan Dempster, $23M in '09, when they could have had Abreu + Cruz + Lowe for the same price per year? And they traded their best pitching 'spect for Kevin Gregg, then failed to get Jake Peavy for basically nothing because they spent too much money on Alfonso Soriano, Jason Marquis, and Kosuke Fukudome. Stupid Cubs. They'll never win.

The funny thing here is I remember all the talk of Hudson getting $40-50 millioni for 3-4-5 years at the beginning of this FA period. His value, along with Abreu and some of the starting pitchers like Garland and Wolf, simply fell off the face off a cliff. In the end, the deal signed by Dunn wasn't really that bad at all, in the overall scheme of this market. Abreu wanted $45/3 and might end up earning just $5 million for one season, although I think his incentives would nearly double that deal if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
Looks like Cabrera and the Dodgers are talking again...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

And with that being said, the Arizona Republic is reporting that the Dodgers have come to terms with Orlando Hudson. Looks like any recent interest in Cabrera was just a ploy to lure O-Dog to LA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
I realize this is now turning into Diamond Club material, but, who is even left now who would be interested in O-Cab?

Orlando Cabrera's situation still directly affects the White Sox so we're definitely in the proper forum.

As for possible suitors, if he wants to start the season in uniform he'll probably sign with the A's netting us a second round and comp pick.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
And with that being said, the Arizona Republic is reporting that the Dodgers have come to terms with Orlando Hudson. Looks like any recent interest in Cabrera was just a ploy to lure O-Dog to LA.

Every dog has its day. OC got used and abused by the Dodgers to entice Hudson to sign. I think that leaves Oakland and its $5 million offer, which is probably shrinking as I type. He supposedly is looking for $1 more than Renteria for 2009. He'll need to buy a lottery ticket.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
I realize this is now turning into Diamond Club material, but, who is even left now who would be interested in O-Cab?

Oakland was talking to him earlier this offseason. Money was the hold up, not the fact they'd lose their 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Orlando Cabrera's situation still directly affects the White Sox so we're definitely in the proper forum.

As for possible suitors, if he wants to start the season in uniform he'll probably sign with the A's netting us a second round and comp pick.

Which do you think is more valuable to the Sox? A comp and second rounder, or a later first rounder?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Every dog has its day. OC got used and abused by the Dodgers to entice Hudson to sign. I think that leaves Oakland and its $5 million offer, which is probably shrinking as I type. He supposedly is looking for $1 more than Renteria for 2009. He'll need to buy a lottery ticket.

Now that is f***ing petty!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Which do you think is more valuable to the Sox? A comp and second rounder, or a later first rounder?

Well seeing as how a later first rounder also comes with a comp pick I'd have to go with the first rounder. The Dodgers would have been ideal too, they have the lowest possible first round pick that can be relinquished as compensation in 2009, #17.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)

He gets at least twice that if he just accepts arbitration. What a colossal mistake that was.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
He gets at least twice that if he just accepts arbitration. What a colossal mistake that was.

Yeah, talk about your all-time backfires...of course, he wasn't the only one to do so this offseason...

Just goes to show you how crazy the market can be in a relatively short span of time...on both ends of the spectrum.

Yeah not a good day at all on the OC front, and it means we're definitely going with Getz/Lillibridge etc at 2B now (still had minute hopes that Hudson would end up here).

Imagine if he did accept arbitration though from the Sox, and how that would have screwed up our off-season plans (e.g no Viciedo or having to trade JD).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Yeah, talk about your all-time backfires...of course, he wasn't the only one to do so this offseason...

Just goes to show you how crazy the market can be in a relatively short span of time...on both ends of the spectrum.

It was total ignorance on his and/or his agent's part. It was quite obvious what was going to happen. Hudson gets $3.4 million guaranteed and $4.6 million in incentives. Cabrera might be lucky to get what the Sox would have owed him if he took the arb and they released him.

Edited by Dick Allen