Sign-and-trade Orlando Cabrera?

Kenny Hates Prospects

Which might have been nothing...of course, Cabrera could file a grievance, but it's arguable that he would win (like the Todd Walker situation I think in SD?)

The fact that nobody really has come up with a realistic (at least from his POV) contract proposal would seem to offer pretty strong evidence that it wouldn't be obvious he would make the team (over Alexei Ramirez as the starting SS). If you were KW, it would be easy to make the argument that Ramirez's OPS, power, speed (Cabrera is declining in that area, Ramirez is in his prime), etc., would make him the obvious pick, despite the overhype about Cabrera's Gold Glove (supposedly) caliber defense.

The only way Cabrera could make an argument through the union would be if he contended he had been offered a shot at the starting 2B position, and Getz/Lillibridge/Nix were selected over him, but even that's tenuous with so many teams going with youth/affordability over veterans.

Of course, useless speculation...but I am glad the Twins didn't pick him up, I think he would have been a real thorn in our side as leader of that infield. Luckily, it's just Punto.

Cabrera theoretically could have come back, but it would have virtually assured the trade of either Dye, Jenks or Konerko. Viciedo is/was essentially a replacement for Swisher's money in the 2009 budget, although he will be infinitely cheaper in 2010/11/12 than Nick. Swisher's contract has gone from a "bargain" to albatross in a short period of time. It will be interesting to see if the Braves go over Swisher, Nady or possibly Garret Anderson/Edmonds (or a the full-blown youth movement).

Of all the players, Garland, Wolf, Hudson, Abreu, Cabrera and Varitek were the ones (along with Juan Cruz) who ended up suffering the most...with Raul Ibanez coming out smelling like a rose, along w/ the Yankees' triumvirate.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Which might have been nothing...of course, Cabrera could file a grievance, but it's arguable that he would win (like the Todd Walker situation I think in SD?)

The fact that nobody really has come up with a realistic (at least from his POV) contract proposal would seem to offer pretty strong evidence that it wouldn't be obvious he would make the team (over Alexei Ramirez as the starting SS). If you were KW, it would be easy to make the argument that Ramirez's OPS, power, speed (Cabrera is declining in that area, Ramirez is in his prime), etc., would make him the obvious pick, despite the overhype about Cabrera's Gold Glove (supposedly) caliber defense.

The only way Cabrera could make an argument through the union would be if he contended he had been offered a shot at the starting 2B position, and Getz/Lillibridge/Nix were selected over him, but even that's tenuous with so many teams going with youth/affordability over veterans.

Of course, useless speculation...but I am glad the Twins didn't pick him up, I think he would have been a real thorn in our side as leader of that infield. Luckily, it's just Punto.

Cabrera theoretically could have come back, but it would have virtually assured the trade of either Dye, Jenks or Konerko. Viciedo is/was essentially a replacement for Swisher's money in the 2009 budget, although he will be infinitely cheaper in 2010/11/12 than Nick. Swisher's contract has gone from a "bargain" to albatross in a short period of time. It will be interesting to see if the Braves go over Swisher, Nady or possibly Garret Anderson/Edmonds (or a the full-blown youth movement).

Of all the players, Garland, Wolf, Hudson, Abreu, Cabrera and Varitek were the ones (along with Juan Cruz) who ended up suffering the most...with Raul Ibanez coming out smelling like a rose, along w/ the Yankees' triumvirate.

If the White Sox released him, they still would have had to pay him either 20% or 25% of his contract, which would have been $2 million minimum. I can't remember which. Walker got released after winning arbitration. He did file a grievance that went nowhere due to the fact he hit about .100 in spring training, and signed a minor league contract with Oakland after he was released. Its pretty much a lock if OC accepted arbitration and played poorly enough the White Sox released him before the season started, he would easily get a major league contract with someone, probably, and ironically, Oakland. A grievance would have been filed, and I think, especially if OC had a similar season to 2008, he would have had an excellent chance to re-coup most, if not all of the money lost due to the release. Bottom line is if he is about the money, he screwed up. I still don't understand the entire concept of sitting out until after the draft. I can't see how that is going to open purse strings unless the Yankees need a SS or 2B. He should sign with Oakland before their offer goes to minimum.

OC has supposedly dropped his price to $5.5 million. Still, no takers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
If the White Sox released him, they still would have had to pay him either 20% or 25% of his contract, which would have been $2 million minimum. I can't remember which. Walker got released after winning arbitration. He did file a grievance that went nowhere due to the fact he hit about .100 in spring training, and signed a minor league contract with Oakland after he was released. Its pretty much a lock if OC accepted arbitration and played poorly enough the White Sox released him before the season started, he would easily get a major league contract with someone, probably, and ironically, Oakland. A grievance would have been filed, and I think, especially if OC had a similar season to 2008, he would have had an excellent chance to re-coup most, if not all of the money lost due to the release. Bottom line is if he is about the money, he screwed up. I still don't understand the entire concept of sitting out until after the draft. I can't see how that is going to open purse strings unless the Yankees need a SS or 2B. He should sign with Oakland before their offer goes to minimum.

OC has supposedly dropped his price to $5.5 million. Still, no takers.

At this point he almost has to wait and hope someone gets hurt to open up a job for him. Otherwise he might end up making about 10-20% of what he made last year. Amazing.