Burris tried to raise money for blago at behest of blago's brother

bmags

"I would just suggest that those people who seek to run in the City of Chicago, where there are people of color living, that they should tone it down because some of us are taking notes," said Ald. Fredrenna Lyle, 6th Ward Democratic committeeman.

I hope none of you are planning on running for public office in the city of Chicago.... Fredrenna Lyle is taking notes, and will rally people of color against you.

There is something really wrong here.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
I hope none of you are planning on running for public office in the city of Chicago.... Fredrenna Lyle is taking notes, and will rally people of color against you.

Yes there is. Fredrenna Lyle is apparently a raging racist hosebeast.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Yes there is. Fredrenna Lyle is apparently a raging racist hosebeast.

I'm not sure how else to characterize it... she has basically said that if you don't backdown with the attacks on Roland Burrs, she will rally black people against you.

That comment might be the most offensive thing I've heard in a long time. Shame on her.

Bobby Rush brought up Chappaquiddick today, wondering out load why Roland Burris is so scandalous but a white Ted Kennedy drove someone into a lake and killed them and no one cared. I'm not making this up.

On a side note, what are the chances Burris wins the Dem nomination for the seat? if he does he'll lose in the general election for sure

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)

How incredibly ignorant. So what is proper protocol for someone who is suspected of corruption?

1. Check skin color

- If white proceed with impeachment

- If not, don't say a word, or else.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Bobby Rush brought up Chappaquiddick today, wondering out load why Roland Burris is so scandalous but a white Ted Kennedy drove someone into a lake and killed them and no one cared. I'm not making this up.

On a side note, what are the chances Burris wins the Dem nomination for the seat? if he does he'll lose in the general election for sure

Lisa Madigan or Alex Giannoulis is the next Junior Senator from Illinois.

Roland Burris will not win the nomination, but if he does he will win re-election... I don't think enough people will pay attention to get out and vote otherwise, and its already obvious that certain wards in Chicago will do their best to get out the vote for him.

Madigan will probably the next Governor of Illinois, it seems thats where she wants to be and she already looks to have the ground operation solidified with her fathers connections. Madigan has also done a good job of positioning herself as the knight in shining armor when she took on Blago.

Giannoulis has already begun putting together his campaign for 2010. He seems to be the next young Democratic star from Illinois and he will probably gain support from the machine. I haven't heard any serious rumors about his credibility (please correct me if im wrong) so I dont think he will face must opposition if the Machine backs him.

Bobby Rush is literally a clown, however, Ted Kennedy probably should be in jail... this doesn't excuse the fact that Roland Burris completely LIED to the people of Illinois. However, if you or me were involved in that Chapaquiddick incident, we'd probably have gone to jail for a long time.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Lisa Madigan or Alex Giannoulis is the next Junior Senator from Illinois.

Roland Burris will not win the nomination, but if he does he will win re-election... I don't think enough people will pay attention to get out and vote otherwise, and its already obvious that certain wards in Chicago will do their best to get out the vote for him.

Madigan will probably the next Governor of Illinois, it seems thats where she wants to be and she already looks to have the ground operation solidified with her fathers connections. Madigan has also done a good job of positioning herself as the knight in shining armor when she took on Blago.

Giannoulis has already begun putting together his campaign for 2010. He seems to be the next young Democratic star from Illinois and he will probably gain support from the machine. I haven't heard any serious rumors about his credibility (please correct me if im wrong) so I dont think he will face must opposition if the Machine backs him.

Bobby Rush is literally a clown, however, Ted Kennedy probably should be in jail... this doesn't excuse the fact that Roland Burris completely LIED to the people of Illinois. However, if you or me were involved in that Chapaquiddick incident, we'd probably have gone to jail for a long time.

If Burris pulls of the nomination I would definitely put my money on him losing the general election. He would get killed in the suburbs and downstate.

I agree with you on Kennedy, it's just not somethign Democrats bring up.

This just keeps getting better... Apparently the Senior Senator from Illinois is afraid of Bobby Rush. :lolhitting

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03...south-side.html

Durbin: Race factored in Burris seating

March 1, 2009 10:40 PM | 51 Comments | UPDATED STORY

Sen. Dick Durbin, who advised Sen. Roland Burris last week to step down from the Senate, acknowledged today that racial considerations were at play in the decision by majority Democrats to seat Burris.

Durbin, a fellow Democrat and Illinois' senior senator, noted that Rep. Bobby Rush, a Chicago Democrat, appeared at Gov. Rod Blagojevich's announcement of his appointment of Burris and used racially charged language to defend the appointment.

"My colleague from Illinois, Congressman Bobby Rush, made strong statements along those (racial) lines," Durbin said on WGN-AM (720). "They were painful and hurtful, and it became part of this calculation."

Durbin also said he would work with Burris despite the political isolation surrounding the state's junior senator in Washington.

"His vote still counts, his signature is still necessary for critical appointments," said Durbin, the Senate's No. 2 Democrat in leadership. "I will be working with him whenever there's the need for both Illinois senators to be involved in projects. I'm going to try to work with him as well as I can."

Burris met Sunday afternoon at a South Side church with ministers and friends who offered prayers for him to face adversity in weeks ahead.

Burris spoke to parishioners briefly and shared what he has accomplished in Washington since being seated. The list included helping to get the stimulus package, a voting rights bill and a measure to honor the work of slaves who helped build the country approved.

"Let me assure that I will continue to serve you with the best of my ability, and I will not let you down," Burris said to the crowd.

--Deanese Williams and Rick Pearson

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
If Burris pulls of the nomination I would definitely put my money on him losing the general election. He would get killed in the suburbs and downstate.

I agree with you on Kennedy, it's just not somethign Democrats bring up.

I sure hope you are right about Burris... the RNC might view a Burris Nomination as a GREAT chance to win back a seat and would pump a ton of dough to back a Republican Candidate.

Which is why I dont understand Paul Vallas running for CCBP. I think in a battle between Burris and Vallas... Vallas could easily beat him. I think Vallas carries the kind of credibility that invites people from both sides of the aisle to support him.

I dont care if Paul Vallas was a Dem/Rep/Lib/Ind I would vote for him, because he gets results and because I believe he is the genuine article.

Either way, I hope that Burris is kicked out of office and has to add "impeached US Senator" to his list of accomplishments on his masoleum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
This just keeps getting better... Apparently the Senior Senator from Illinois is afraid of Bobby Rush. :lolhitting

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03...south-side.html

wow, what an embarrassing example of political pandering... Dick Durbin really has no reason to put on such a display, I mean does he really need the support of Bobby Rush and his jokesters to win re-election? I really doubt it. Durbin has done a good job of making people in Illinois forget that he exists... a surefire way to keep getting oneself re-elected in this state. The old "well he must be doing a good job because I havent heard otherwise" strategy.

I actually like Dick Durbin (minus the "gulag" comments) but admitting that race played a factor is WRONG. The african-american community isn't entitled to a senate seat, just because the previous senator was black. The seat in Illinois represents ALL PEOPLE IN ILLINOIS! Was Barack Obama originally elected in Illinois because we wanted a black senator? I hope not. I would hope Barack Obama was elected because he was the best person to represent this state and its interests.

There shouldn't be some default rule that requires an african american to be replaced by an african american... the same goes for a white senator for a white senator. The governor should select the candidate that he feels will best represent the people he governs. The senate should not accept an unworthy candidate for "calculations of race" if they honestly felt that Burris was tainted... they should have proceeded as such.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
wow, what an embarrassing example of political pandering... Dick Durbin really has no reason to put on such a display, I mean does he really need the support of Bobby Rush and his jokesters to win re-election? I really doubt it. Durbin has done a good job of making people in Illinois forget that he exists... a surefire way to keep getting oneself re-elected in this state. The old "well he must be doing a good job because I havent heard otherwise" strategy.

I actually like Dick Durbin (minus the "gulag" comments) but admitting that race played a factor is WRONG. The african-american community isn't entitled to a senate seat, just because the previous senator was black. The seat in Illinois represents ALL PEOPLE IN ILLINOIS! Was Barack Obama originally elected in Illinois because we wanted a black senator? I hope not. I would hope Barack Obama was elected because he was the best person to represent this state and its interests.

There shouldn't be some default rule that requires an african american to be replaced by an african american... the same goes for a white senator for a white senator. The governor should select the candidate that he feels will best represent the people he governs. The senate should not accept an unworthy candidate for "calculations of race" if they honestly felt that Burris was tainted... they should have proceeded as such.

He was elected because someone managed to get ahold of sealed court documents that showed the white guy he was running against was a little pervy sex-wise. Otherwise he was on a path to be trounced into obscurity. Obama should be thanking whoever released those documents daily for his salvation.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
He was elected because someone managed to get ahold of sealed court documents that showed the white guy he was running against was a little pervy sex-wise. Otherwise he was on a path to be trounced into obscurity. Obama should be thanking whoever released those documents daily for his salvation.

Except that Obama was up in the polls even before that came out (albeit by small margins).

Maybe Im confused here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,7479994.story

Dealing a blow to the U.S. Senate candidacy of Republican Jack Ryan, a California judge ruled that several sealed divorce records likely to embarrass the candidate and his ex-wife should be opened to the public.

So now when a judge orders records to be unsealed its characterized as:

"someone managed to get ahold of sealed court documents"

This isnt Bonds where the records were illegally obtained, these records were released to the public.

I guess as the old saying goes: If you want to be a senator dont take your wife to have sex at a public sex show.

Okay thats not a saying, but Ryan's own idiocy sunk him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
Except that Obama was up in the polls even before that came out (albeit by small margins).

This is really all besides the point. Obama was elected by a strong majority of Illinois voters because they felt he was the man for the job. Appointing and Accepting Roland Burris because he is black (even if it played the smallest role) goes against this principal. There are no quotas in government, nor should their be -- even if Bobby Rush says otherwise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
there is no way in hell Obama would've lost the 2004 election even if Ryan was still in it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but he had never won an election prior without some kind of outside help (getting signatures overturned, etc.) and was little known outside of Chicago. With the money available to Ryan prior to the release of those documents, I believe he would have been a complete non-entity.

And yes, a court finally decided to 'release' the documents, after they had already been released to the newspapers and blogs, by someone. I agree, Ryan screwed up, but someone helped that info come to the forefront. And what's the use of 'sealed' court documents if they can be opened by the whim of a judge?

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
This is really all besides the point. Obama was elected by a strong majority of Illinois voters because they felt he was the man for the job. Appointing and Accepting Roland Burris because he is black (even if it played the smallest role) goes against this principal. There are no quotas in government, nor should their be -- even if Bobby Rush says otherwise.

There are no quotas, but there is an innate sense of fairness, and an almost universal desire for the government to reflect the face of America.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
You are entitled to your opinion, but he had never won an election prior without some kind of outside help (getting signatures overturned, etc.) and was little known outside of Chicago. With the money available to Ryan prior to the release of those documents, I believe he would have been a complete non-entity.

And yes, a court finally decided to 'release' the documents, after they had already been released to the newspapers and blogs, by someone. I agree, Ryan screwed up, but someone helped that info come to the forefront. And what's the use of 'sealed' court documents if they can be opened by the whim of a judge?

Yeah and then in August he would've gave his speech at the DNC that propelled him to the national stage and would've increased the lead he already owned before Ryan's files get released

I have yet to see anything about the court documents being released illegally.

Rumors of what the court papers contained were leaked, but it wasnt until the actual papers were unsealed that Ryan got destroyed.

And the point is that a Judge has discretion in a case. Court documents are usually "public", I can go down and pull almost every single court case that has ever existed in Cook County. It is unusual for court documents to be "sealed" and absent a showing of why the court documents should be "sealed" the judge almost will always make them available to the public.

Usually things that are sealed are in regards to minors.

So why should Ryan get his court documents sealed, while no one else does?

If he didnt want people to find out, he should have settled before it went into court and had Geri sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Thats what most people do when they dont want their dirty laundry in the public eye.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
There are no quotas, but there is an innate sense of fairness, and an almost universal desire for the government to reflect the face of America.

We are in agreement on this point; however, that desire cannot come at the price of integrity and competence. Any appointee who Blago appointed was tainted -- and the fact that Durbin and other Senators didn't proceed accordingly partly on the basis of race - is categorically wrong -- just as if they decided to investigate partly because he was black. Burris should have been investigated and possibly impeached because of the circumstances of his appointment -- not the color of his skin.

This stuff is too important, there is too much at stake, we're too developed of a nation to allow such ridiculousness to persist.

If Lt. Quinn nominated Roland Burris and took race into consideration on top of the fact that he a qualified candidate, I would hope that race wasn't the sole factor and accept that the Governor made an executive decision. This, however, wasn't the case.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Oh you guys will absolutely love this one.

Amongst the people gunning to replace Burris in 2010 are Illinois State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, and now, potentially....former Clinton Commerce Secretary Bill Daley.

So that takes Daley out the governor sweepstakes and leaves the field wide open for Madigan. Damn the Daley's are going to run Illinois from the local, state and federal levels. That is f***ing scary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
So that takes Daley out the governor sweepstakes and leaves the field wide open for Madigan. Damn the Daley's are going to run Illinois from the local, state and federal levels. That is f***ing scary.

Could be a very Irish representation of Illinois. Irish mayor of Chicago, 2 Irish Senators (Durbin, Daley), Irish Speaker of the House, Irish Governor. IF all those things were to happen, which is by no means guaranteed.