Burris tried to raise money for blago at behest of blago's brother

bmags

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
Could be a very Irish representation of Illinois. Irish mayor of Chicago, 2 Irish Senators (Durbin, Daley), Irish Speaker of the House, Irish Governor. IF all those things were to happen, which is by no means guaranteed.

I still feel like Guilianos might do better than daley in a GE, because I don't think a Daley would do well in downstate/suburbs, but in a primary who knows.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if jesse jackson jr. can win the senate seat that he basically tried to purchase two years earlier:

A) he is really something

B ) we are really stupid

C) I honestly don't think I could live in illinois anymore.

i would swallow and accept giannoulis... but I just cant stomach the idea that Jesse Jr. could hold such an office after being outed as such a fraud/corrupt.

yes -- charges weren't filed against him, but (correct me if im wrong) it was widely understood that he was "senate candidate 5" the guy who offered 500K

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
yes -- charges weren't filed against him, but (correct me if im wrong) it was widely understood that he was "senate candidate 5" the guy who offered 500K

While it is certainly true that he is Senate Candidate #5, we really don't know all the details and probably won't until the trial. If Jackson had been willing to pay, you'd sort of expect him to be a subject of the investigation, which he isn't, and there have been reports that he was cooperating with prosecutors since last summer in that case. I have really gotten the impression with him that there's information prosecutors and Jackson are deliberately holding back until the trial happens. Wikipedia

Sun Times today:

A Downstate prosecutor investigating whether Sen. Roland Burris perjured himself before a House impeachment panel has asked federal authorities for any recordings involving Burris for use in the probe, sources tell the Chicago Sun-Times.

Link2

On the same December day then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich named Roland Burris to fill President Obama's U.S. Senate vacancy, Burris' right-hand political man, Fred Lebed, phoned an associate and told him, "We'll have to do some things for the governor."

That's the recollection of the associate, a health-care and political consultant named John Ruff, who went on to become one of Burris' co-plaintiffs on a January lawsuit that sought to help Burris claim his Senate seat.

• 1 month later...

Spectacular.

U.S. Senator Roland Burris, the controversial appointee to the seat once held by President Barack Obama, is holding his first campaign fundraiser since he took office this weekend—and the financial report he filed this week shows he could use some political donations.

Burris campaign officials on Thursday released a report showing the new senator raised only $845 from January through March and had $111,032 in debts from defending himself in ongoing ethics and perjury probes and travel.