KW talks to LoDuca, not planning on pursuing him anymore

southsider2k5

http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/143622...soxntbk.article

By Joe Cowley, Sun-Times News Group

GLENDALE, Ariz. - With man-child-in-waiting Tyler Flowers' estimated date of arrival on the South Side not until 2010 at the earliest, the candidates the White Sox have in camp for their backup catcher spot - Cole Armstrong, Donny Lucy, Corky Miller and Chris Stewart - are household names only in their own houses.

That's why the Sox were in talks last month with free-agent catcher Paul Lo Duca, a fact general manager Ken Williams confirmed Tuesday.

"There was interest," Williams said. "There were some conversations."

A source said Lo Duca's camp believed those talks could be revisited during spring training, but Williams put that to rest.

"No," Williams said when asked whether he might pursue Lo Duca later in camp if he doesn't like what he sees behind starter A.J. Pierzynski. "After some conversations and the flow of those conversations, I felt what we have here is just what we needed."

Williams said money was not the reason the talks stalled, but he did not offer details on why the Sox opted to stick with the bodies in camp.

Lo Duca, 36, would give manager Ozzie Guillen a right-handed bat on days when Pierzynski needed a rest and would bring a history that includes four All-Star seasons. He also would bring some baggage, however, having been mentioned in the 2007 Mitchell Report as a player who obtained steroids from former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
didn't he also play some first base?

might not be a bad option, esp. if Broussard doesn't pan out.

I wouldn't think that Broussard even has a chance of making the team out of ST. I think he is a Charlotte kind of guy maybe waiting in the wings to cover if someone is injured.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
This reminds me... who in the HELL is going to be our backup catcher??? :huh:

One of (in order of my guessed probability):

Chris Stewart (may be washed up though, spring will tell)

Cole Armstrong (seems to have come into his own lately, but hits lefties poorly, bad match for AJ's backup)

Corky Miller (great defense, no bat whatsoever)

Donny Lucy (best choice if he was healthy, but, no telling how bad his knee injury was or where he is at now)

Tyler Flowers (probably not ready yet)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
One of (in order of my guessed probability):

Chris Stewart (may be washed up though, spring will tell)

Cole Armstrong (seems to have come into his own lately, but hits lefties poorly, bad match for AJ's backup)

Corky Miller (great defense, no bat whatsoever)

Donny Lucy (best choice if he was healthy, but, no telling how bad his knee injury was or where he is at now)

Tyler Flowers (probably not ready yet)

Ugh, that's such an ugly list. :(

I can't help but think that Corky Miller will suck as bad as Paul Bako.

I'm probably the most interested in seeing what Stewart can do, and I also think Flowers might need a little more seasoning in the minors.

As for Lucy, please no. Armstrong? I probably rank Armstrong above Lucy and Miller.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
Ugh, that's such an ugly list. :(

I can't help but think that Corky Miller will suck as bad as Paul Bako.

I'm probably the most interested in seeing what Stewart can do, and I also think Flowers might need a little more seasoning in the minors.

As for Lucy, please no. Armstrong? I probably rank Armstrong above Lucy and Miller.

its too bad we couldnt shell out 750k for henry blanco :(