Contreras could be on Opening Day roster

southsider2k5

http://csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

Sox Drawer Archive | Email Chuck

Sox Drawer: Jose by Opening Day? Kenny is Hoping

Tuesday, February 17th

When I asked Kenny Williams today about who had the inside track to be the Sox 5th starter, I really thought he'd plead the 5th. But instead, the White Sox General Manager was unable to contain his excitement about a certain former ace defying age, logic, and current medical science, coming back from a devastating Achilles tendon injury just 6 months ago.

CG: How surprised are you with Jose Contreras, and when do you realistically think he might be ready to come back?

Kenny Williams: I'm not going to get into just how far ahead of schedule he is right now, but suffice to say, you're going to be seeing him a lot sooner than you thought.

When Kenny said that last line, I just figured he was repeating the same company line we had been hearing for weeks, that Jose was ahead of schedule, and would likely return by July, or best case scenario, June.

So I moved onto the next topic, "the open 5th starter slot," assuming that Jose was not even in the picture. Turns out, he "is" the picture, not to mention the frame, the glass, the hook, and the wall the picture is hanging on.

Here was Kenny's answer about the 5th spot in the rotation, keeping in mind that there are only 5 veteran pitchers here in camp.

KW: I have a strong feeling that potentially it might be a completely veteran group 1-thru-5. Looking at the progress that some of these guys have made, but I'm not ready to talk about that just yet.

CG: You're saying "veteran," do you mean someone outside the organization to bring in? (yes, I'm still clueless at this point. I mean, how can Jose be ready by April?? He's gotta be talking about somebody else.)

KW: No, we got them all right here.

And with that, the dusty wheels in my brain started turning, and that Homewood-Flossmoor High School education took over.

"Wait, he's talking about Contreras!", said my brain.

But before I could utter a word, Kenny grinned that trademark Kenny Williams grin and said:

"Gotta go." And he walked away.

It didn't matter. He said enough.

You can see the story tonight on SportsNite.

Jose Contreras really showed his dedication this offseason. I don't see how he could possibly be ready, and I'd hate to risk further injury by rushing him back, but given the shape he's in right now and what we all know can be elite talents, this team looks 10x better with him in the OD rotation.

Buehrle

Danks

Contreras

Floyd

Colon/mix of youngsters

All the sudden we're looking better.

He was a legit #3 starter at least for the first half of the season until he tried to pitch through injuries.

If both Colon and Contreras can hold up, we're in MUCH better shape than we were one month ago. Marquez, Richard and Poreda...perhaps only one of them even making the OP roster the way things are going now. Pretty big turnaround I'd say.

Contreras as the 5th starter.

Richard as the long-man out of the pen (essentailly replacing Carrasco's role).

Poreda as the 2nd lefty out of the pen.

Marquez to start the season in AAA.

Best scenario is the above I would say.

Unless Jose is completely 100% though, let Marquez start the season as the 5th starter, and then let Contreras take over when he is healthy.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)

Unless Jose is completely 100% though, let Marquez start the season as the 5th starter, and then let Contreras take over when he is healthy.

That scares me that we're almost relying on jose to be on our opening day rotation. He's getting too old and gets injured too much. I hope he's there but I don't think we can rely on him anymore.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)

No way the bullpen works out like that where we're carrying 3 lefties. Much more likely is Richard and Thornton as lefties in the pen, and Poreda right where he should be; starting at AAA and getting innings to work on that 3rd pitch.

I was hoping Marquez could make the rotation in ST so that Poreda could go down, because that's where he needs to be. Contreras making the rotation would be even better.

QUOTE (zygoat @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
That scares me that we're almost relying on jose to be on our opening day rotation. He's getting too old and gets injured too much. I hope he's there but I don't think we can rely on him anymore.

The fancy thing about this would be...if either he or Colon gets hurt the first month, we'll have 2 guys down at AAA and a long man (Richard) in the pen who can immediately step in and pick up the slack. As a back end of the rotation, I'll more than take those 2.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
No way the bullpen works out like that where we're carrying 3 lefties. Much more likely is Richard and Thornton as lefties in the pen, and Poreda right where he should be; starting at AAA and getting innings to work on that 3rd pitch.

I was hoping Marquez could make the rotation in ST so that Poreda could go down, because that's where he needs to be. Contreras making the rotation would be even better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Don't make the mistake of putting Poreda in Chicago unless he is starting. Let the kid develop his third pitch and become a great starter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
I do remember Steff saying over and over that one can recover and rehab after 6-7 months.

It's been 7-8 months now, hasn't it?

To be accurate, I posted links and comments from medical professionals over and over who claimed, with actual results, that an average person could completely recover and resume normal physical activity within 7 months of surgery to repair the injury. I did elaborate on that information and post my opinion when I was told that Jose was throwing in January that he would be back in May.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
is Ptak around to talk about how ridiculous this could be?

I believe you're referring to me.

I'm just basing my opinion from experience that he is coming back far sooner than I thought he would.

This doesn't mean that it is reckless or unwarranted. I know and trust the medical staff from the team. I know they wouldn't have him doing what he was if it wasn't ready.

I'm just surprised that he is this ready due to the factors I've stated before.

1. Age and size

2. the amount of force that achilles will absorb from landing on a graded pitching mound.

3. the stress from a major league routine.

Again, don't get me wrong people who don't have these factors can be back anywhere from 3-6 months. I've just seen that in older professional athletes, they are usually much more conservative with the rehab. If the madiacal staff thinks he's ready, I have no doubt that he is.