Out of "your" Top Five White Sox moments....

wilmot825

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Everything has been covered, but some that I got to attend:

-Iguchi's ALDS Game 2 shot v. Boston

-Frank Thomas' triumphant return to the Cell with the A's

-The last few leading up to 163.

Having attended Buehrle's no-hitter, this is one that really ranks up there with some of the 2005 happenings.

Probably my favorite though:

-Opening Day 2006. Banners, rain delay, the sound of fireworks in the empty Cell as Thome launches his first Sox bomb. That was magic. Later that year when I was at the Cards/Sox game that Mulder(?) left early, by the 3rd inning I was as sure as I ever was that the team was going back to the World Series. It was a cartoon of a baseball game... Funny how it was the Cards that eventually won it all.

That was such an awesome game to be at. Frank with 2 dingers, squirrel on the field, pablo walkoff bunt with 2 outs!

Yeah, it's almost a shame the fireworks didn't go off. It actually would have been the perfect tribute to hear the bombs blasting over Faust's "Goodbye". I'm sure the crowd wouldn't have minded, or Garland for that matter (Wasn't 35 one of his heroes?). It's probable that I would've had a tear or two. Such moments are more important to me than the big picture, and that is what makes baseball.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

1) Winning the World Series (ground ball up the middle over the head of jenks, uribe has it, he throws - OUT OUT! A WHITE SOX WINNER! AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!)

2) Game 2 ALCS (AJ strikeout thru the Crede double which I THOUGHT was a homer till I was on the ramp leaving the park)

3) Game 163 - The Blackout

4) Joe Crede's walkoff against the Indians

5) Seeing back to back to back to back home runs

it's amazing how most of the memories are the ones from 2000 on...good job KW!...or just short-term memory is more poignant

Melido Perez rain-shortened no hitter

no hitter thrown against us by Hawkins that we actually won

seeing Tom Seaver pitch for Sox in Old Comiskey

there was one game that really stands out in 1990 when we had that improbable run...a home game against KC we won with an amazing comeback (another game I was able to attend, being from the Quad Cities)

Rodney McCray running through fence in minors (sort of counts)

Bo Jackson (1993)

Michael Jordan playing for the Sox (sort of)

Mike Cameron ripping Parque to shreds at Comiskey...

being friends with Scott Radinsky (met him when he pitched for SB) and then seeing him up in the bigs a year later...getting free tickets, going out to Will Call and saying a player left tickets for me, that was kind of cool

Tito Landrum and Jerry Dybzynski (sp) for all the wrong reasons

Julio Cruz and Rudy Law in 1983...and watching the Ron LeFlore story on t.v.

too young for 1977 team, unfortunately

getting Claudell Washington autograph on 1979 Topps bb card, my first of many autographs

RECENT

2000 DET brawl (one of the few moments I was able to attend, and the spark that lit the fire that season)

2005 the whole season, I was out of the country teaching in Colombia....but I was still able to see all the playoff and WS games...but just the memory of being in a hotel and going crazy when Tyler Blum FINALLY ended that game against Wandy Rodriguez...it was a liner, so it was so strange....the game just ended like that after you wanted to go to bed but knew you simply couldn't

Crede homer off Riske to push back the Tribe and turn the tide finally...I distinctly remember we'd blown a huge lead against KC, going to bed, waking up the next morning and seeing the score on ESPN Deportes ticker and thinking the season was doomed at that point

All the players coming back onto the field at DET with their 2005 ALCD clinching greys with black piping...particularly Garcia and for some reason, I still thought that last liner to RF off Jenks was going to be a hit and maybe they wouldn't make the playoffs

Pods and Konerko (GS) off Qualls, Buehrle's steady performance in WS (classic Mark)...Willie Harris/JD in game 4....Juan Uribe's catch...El Duque in ALDS (I was on a tour in the Andes Mountains, but the bus stopped for an hour so I went in to Internet cafe and followed that inning live through cbssportsline.com, I wanted to KILL Marte at that point in the season)...Crede throughout the playoffs defensively...that amazing comeback off Oswalt, capped off by the AJ bases-clearing double into no-man's land

Crede's double to win Game 2 of ALCS...Iguchi's homer following the muffed grounder by former Sox favorite Graffanino...and that it was off David Wells to boot

another one that really stands out was Cotts getting a couple of huge outs in the WS and then Jenks winning that epic confrontation with Jeff Bagwell...that was a class power versus power showdown

ripping Clemens to shreds and sending him to showers early with lame injury excuse

and for a sort of White Sox related memory...arguing/fighting with ncorgbl and sometimes colsat (although I got to respect him over time) for the first 2-3 years of chisox.com, we were mortal enemies...I re

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Before the tiebreaker, my best experience at the Cell was the Sox comeback off of Mariano with C. Lee tying it and then Valentin with the broken bat winner.

I remember that one and was there. Rainy game in midweek if I recall correctly. C. Lee had some big memorable hits in his Sox career. Always stepped up against the Cubs. That extra inning GS vs them was particularly memorable. My top 5...

1. Game 5 ALCS - I know it was not the championship or El Duque's mastery, but something about Konerko stepping on first base and Rooney saying the Sox won the pennant and are going to the WS did it for me.

2. Crede walkoff v. Cleveland. Was there for that one and caught his earlier shot to roughly the same area.

3. Game 2 of the WS.

4. 1983 division clincher. I wasn't there but there was no turning back for me after that season. That pretty much started my years of waiting for a championship.

5. 1993 hot summer Monday night game with friends. It was the night after the Bulls won the title against Phoenix. Pippen and one or two players were in Reinsdorf's suite and the Sox saluted the Bulls on the jumbotron with highlights including Paxon's three pointer (it was never in doubt, my friend). Place was rocking with 40K+ fans (before the stadium contracted), Sox got out to an early lead on a HR by Thomas (Ventura hit a solo shot later) and held off Texas for a 7-6 victory and ended up sweeping the series en route to their first division title in 10 years. Just one of those fun nights with friends that stick out in your memory.

The comeback and Robin Ventura walk-off grand slam (can't remember which season) was a good one too...maybe it was against the Rangers? Also, him getting hog-tied and "noogied" by Nolan Ryan...oh, how I hated that prick. I think Craig Grebeck and one other Sox player had taken him deep back to back, too.

No specific memory, but "Lance on point" and "I love to watch Ray run" good memories...and Paciorek always made me laugh.

Thatsa notso gooda.

Back to back to back homers off Randy Johnson (one of them was Widger)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
The comeback and Robin Ventura walk-off grand slam (can't remember which season) was a good one too...maybe it was against the Rangers? Also, him getting hog-tied and "noogied" by Nolan Ryan...oh, how I hated that prick. I think Craig Grebeck and one other Sox player had taken him deep back to back, too.

No specific memory, but "Lance on point" and "I love to watch Ray run" good memories...and Paciorek always made me laugh.

Thatsa notso gooda.

I was actually at that game. It was Iguchi, Rowand and Konerko going back to back to back followed by singles by Dye and Uribe then Widger capped it off with a 3 run shot just over the wall in left to chase Johnson from the game. Great game.

Best games I was at:

1. ALDS Game 1- Beating of the Red Sox. Stadium was never louder than it was for this game

2. ALCS Game 2- Who can forget this one?

3. WS Game 1- Too awesome

4. Buehrle's No No

5. 2008 ALCS Game 3

Also been to Carlos Lee's walk-off granny against the Cubs, the AJP/Barret fight, Opening Day 2006, CQ's national coming out party against the Angels, Jose's cycle, and various other walk-offs probably most notably JD's against the Angels. I can't even remember if that game was in 2005 or 06. I'm guessing 05 since it is remember so fondly when compared to other walk-off HRs.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)

Thatsa notso gooda.

July 31, 1991. The Sox were down 8-6 before the Ventura Slam. Capped off an amazing month for Robin in which he hit well over .400 with 12 HRs and something like 35 RBI. I'll never forget Frank picking up Robin and literally tossing him up and down over his should like a rag doll. It was awesome.

As far as my top 5, I won't even mention anything from 2005. That's too easy.

1: Winning the division in 1993. I had only been a Sox fan for three years to that point. But it felt like I had waited decades for that moment.

2: August 13, 1993. The Sox were playing the Royals at Comiskey. We were down 4-3 in the bottom of the 8th. Warren Newson lined a pinch-hit single with two outs. The Royals bring in their closer, Jeff Montgomery, (who was dominating that year) to face Frank. Frank launched a bomb WAY out of the park in left center to give us a 5-4 lead. Hawk went NUTS! I know, I know, hawk goes nuts quite often. But this was different.

3: July 18, 1994. Sox are down 9-3 in the 6th. They make a furious comeback capped by a SLAM by Thomas in the 7th inning. Sox win in 13.

4: Coming back from 8 runs down to beat the Cubs on a Friday home game in 2002.

5: The play-in game.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 02:07 AM)
July 31, 1991. The Sox were down 8-6 before the Ventura Slam. Capped off an amazing month for Robin in which he hit well over .400 with 12 HRs and something like 35 RBI. I'll never forget Frank picking up Robin and literally tossing him up and down over his should like a rag doll. It was awesome.

As far as my top 5, I won't even mention anything from 2005. That's too easy.

1: Winning the division in 1993. I had only been a Sox fan for three years to that point. But it felt like I had waited decades for that moment.

2: August 13, 1993. The Sox were playing the Royals at Comiskey. We were down 4-3 in the bottom of the 8th. Warren Newson lined a pinch-hit single with two outs. The Royals bring in their closer, Jeff Montgomery, (who was dominating that year) to face Frank. Frank launched a bomb WAY out of the park in left center to give us a 5-4 lead. Hawk went NUTS! I know, I know, hawk goes nuts quite often. But this was different.

3: July 18, 1994. Sox are down 9-3 in the 6th. They make a furious comeback capped by a SLAM by Thomas in the 7th inning. Sox win in 13.

4: Coming back from 8 runs down to beat the Cubs on a Friday home game in 2002.

5: The play-in game.

I actually have that game on DVD (just happened to get lucky and record it), I watch it about twice a year, it warms the heart. Konerko's bat flip on the second bomb is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on a baseball field.