2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
No he hasn't.

Since 2000, Lou Piniella has led teams to 4 playoff appearances, 4 90+ win seasons (including a 116 win season), and got the lowly Devil Rays out of last place for the first time in their existence, who were an absolutely terrible team at the time. Meanwhile, Dusty Baker has made the playoffs 3 times, won 90 games only 3 times, and has had some pretty outstanding teams throughout that. The only thing you could argue is that Dusty Baker may be a better playoff manager than Lou.

Lou Piniella is far superior to Dusty Baker. Dusty is one of the dumbest managers in the game.

That's harsh, dude. Everyone knows that dark-skinned players perform better under the sun than light-skinned players do. Corey Patterson rules!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW the Cubs will win their division because they are the only team in that division good enough to play in the American League.

My Cubs predictions:

Ryan Dempster will fall off and Marshall will out-perform him at a cost of about 97% less than Dempster's pricetag.

Soriano will get hurt again and continue to strike out too much.

Fukudome will be an average player with a huge contract.

Aramis Ramirez will have an awesome year.

Fans will throw lots of garbage onto the field.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
They came back and won too many miracle games last year. Everything went right. When the Sox had a season like that, the next year everything went wrong.
We still won 90 games, though, in a much tougher division than 2005. If the Cubs do the same and win 9 less than last year, they probably still win that division.

the cubs are going to give samardjiza the first shot at the 5th starter job...a big mistake IMO...i know they gave him alot of money when they signed him, but he has bullpen arm written all over him if you ask me...i dont think hes got the control to be a starter....right now hes got a good fastball and flashed an above average, yet inconsistent splitter...his slider didnt impress me and he certainly didnt throw it with any consistency last year, so hes basically a 2 pitch pitcher without much command...a recipe to get knocked around ....if im the cubs id rather see marshall out there (though his upside is lower, i think hes more likely to give you solid innings)

Edited by daa84

Last I checked Samardidja was penciled in as the sixth man for the job behind Marshall and followed by Heilman which frankly, isn't a terrible move on the Cubs part. The Shark has almost the same repertoire (and problems) as Aaron Poreda and is certainly their next best option when you consider Marshall's going to have to be Harden's Longman and that there's a 50% chance Heilman will be dreadful. Other then, Mitch Atkins they really have no other realist options in that organization.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Last I checked Samardidja was penciled in as the sixth man for the job behind Marshall and followed by Heilman which frankly, isn't a terrible move on the Cubs part. The Shark has almost the same repertoire (and problems) as Aaron Poreda and is certainly their next best option when you consider Marshall's going to have to be Harden's Longman and that there's a 50% chance Heilman will be dreadful. Other then, Mitch Atkins they really have no other realist options in that organization.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...story?track=rss

i suppose i misinterpreted the headline to mean that jeff would be the favorite ...but re-reading it i guess it just means he'll start game 1 of spring training...

either way theres a huge difference between mid 90s from a righty and mid 90s from a lefty, especially given the enormous difference in their peripherals....

Poreda in minors: 207 IP 166 K 50 BB

Samardjiza : 285 IP 166 K 114 BB

In 78 fewer innings Poreda has the same number of K's and 64 fewer BBs...they may have the same problems with developing offspeed, but the Shark has had big time control problems, while that has been a relative strength for Poreda

but i do agree with you that heilman would be terrible as a starter...if marshall can't do it i really for see them having quite a few problems with this slot in the rotation

alot of people are saying how much the cubs will miss mark derosa...and they will miss his .857 OPS from last year (even though I dont think he'll match that, especially not in the AL)

but a guy nobody is mentioning that they might miss even more is jim edmonds...in about 300 PA last year edmonds had a .370 obp and a .937 OPS for them with 19 HR and 17 2b....edmonds probably won't do that again, but between derosa and edmonds thats alot of production bradley and miles will have to make up for

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
alot of people are saying how much the cubs will miss mark derosa...and they will miss his .857 OPS from last year (even though I dont think he'll match that, especially not in the AL)

but a guy nobody is mentioning that they might miss even more is jim edmonds...in about 300 PA last year edmonds had a .370 obp and a .937 OPS for them with 19 HR and 17 2b....edmonds probably won't do that again, but between derosa and edmonds thats alot of production bradley and miles will have to make up for

Both Edmonds and DeRosa were two of their best hitters last year. They are losing alot on that side of the ball. When Bradley gets hurt, they are going to have some gaping holes in the outfield.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Both Edmonds and DeRosa were two of their best hitters last year. They are losing alot on that side of the ball. When Bradley gets hurt, they are going to have some gaping holes in the outfield.

and if, for example, harden gets hurt, marshall sux, bradley gets hurt, theyre bullpen blows, there isnt much they can do come the trade deadline. they have vitters and thats about it. itll be tough for them to get anything. then again, hendry always seems to be able to trade garbage and get players in return (ramirez, lee, harden, garciaparra, etc)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
and if, for example, harden gets hurt, marshall sux, bradley gets hurt, theyre bullpen blows, there isnt much they can do come the trade deadline. they have vitters and thats about it. itll be tough for them to get anything. then again, hendry always seems to be able to trade garbage and get players in return (ramirez, lee, harden, garciaparra, etc)

This year, it'll probably depend on whether or not their new owner is willing to take on additional salary. I'll guarantee you people will be available for scraps if you'll take on a contract or two.

I haven't posted in here yet, so I will do it now. Boo, Cubs suck, I hate them. :D :lol:

Actually, a lot of my Cub hate has died since October. Not all of it, but a lot of it. So I won't be in here as much this year as I was in the past. At least not until this October comes around, at which point if we're out of it and they are in the playoffs, I might go back to venom of past years. But during the regular season, I probably won't be in here as much. Carry the torch though, traditonal posters of this thread!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)

I imagine Hoffpauir will give you league average production from the corner, if Bradley goes down, but the defense will be atrocious.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
I haven't posted in here yet, so I will do it now. Boo, Cubs suck, I hate them. :D :lol:

Actually, a lot of my Cub hate has died since October. Not all of it, but a lot of it. So I won't be in here as much this year as I was in the past. At least not until this October comes around, at which point if we're out of it and they are in the playoffs, I might go back to venom of past years. But during the regular season, I probably won't be in here as much. Carry the torch though, traditonal posters of this thread!

when the sox drop 2 of 3 to the yankees, while the cubs sweep the pirates...and all your cub fan friends give you crap for it...youll be back in here

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
If I was to tell you that a team was going into the season with the starting 5 having career ERA's of the below, would you peg them as div champs?

3.23 (oft injured)

looks like the Yankees circa 2003-2008

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I'm ready to make life miserable for friends of mine who are fans of the Cubs.

...I got my first "L" t-shirt today. :D

I never understood this sort of thing. Why wear a shirt making fun of some other team, when you could wear one that roots for your own?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
I never understood this sort of thing. Why wear a shirt making fun of some other team, when you could wear one that roots for your own?

Because my hatred for Cubdom is so intense, that jabbing at the agony of Cubs fans after a demoralizing defeat just feels sweet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
And please, if you don't care about the Cubs, you don't need to tell us that every week.

Same logic.

I hate the Cubs just as much as teams in our own division, sometimes more. Please let them suffer a down year so we don't have to listen to their arrogant fans once again. I truly thought that last year would be the year they would at least make it to the World Series because of how horrid the NL was. Thank goodness the chokers in them came through once again!

The problem is the rest of the NL is still not very good and the NL Central is an absolute joke so unless the unexpected happens, the Cubs should win that division easily.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
I hate the Cubs just as much as teams in our own division, sometimes more. Please let them suffer a down year so we don't have to listen to their arrogant fans once again. I truly thought that last year would be the year they would at least make it to the World Series because of how horrid the NL was. Thank goodness the chokers in them came through once again!

The problem is the rest of the NL is still not very good and the NL Central is an absolute joke so unless the unexpected happens, the Cubs should win that division easily.

Honestly, how could any Cub fan gloat or even get excited about regular season dominance after last year's debacle? I agree that their division appears to suck once again (although I think the Reds will be MUCH improved). But I think the rest of the NL will be better. I think the Phillies and Mets are clearly better. If Arizona's ultra-talented core of position players take that next step, they're easily better as well. I might even rank the Dodgers ahead of them assuming, of course, they sign Manny. And I think teams like the Marlins and Giants will wreak some serious havoc.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
when the sox drop 2 of 3 to the yankees, while the cubs sweep the pirates...and all your cub fan friends give you crap for it...youll be back in here

That won't happen though. They realize the regular season is meaningless now after what happened last year. When you haven't won in 101 years, it's title or bust. I will get annoyed at the Sox I'm sure, but I won't be in here much until/unless they get hot in October. Rooting against the Cubs is like rooting against the Washington Generals when they play the Harlem Globetrotters, just too easy to be fun anymore.