2009 Cubs thread

daa84

Did anyone else watching the game on WGN Wednesday night catch that tool who kept chanting "TRIPLE A! TRIPLE A! TRIPLE A!" just before Restovich launched the game-tying home run?

Dillweed shut up pretty damn quick after that. :D

Edited by zimne piwo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=1844054:date=Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:35 AM:name=southsider2k5)-->
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
<!--quotec-->Where the hell has he been?

He probably misses the fun little tunes and wit that the Yankee fans used to toss his way.

So much for a family atmosphere.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
Theres a pretty hilarious thread on nsbb.com talking about how Quentin's HR's last year were lucky.

What the hell is a "just enough" HR or a "lucky" HR? They've got stat categories for this now? I swear some of these turbo nerds need to go outside and get some punani or something.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
What the hell is a "just enough" HR or a "lucky" HR? They've got stat categories for this now? I swear some of these turbo nerds need to go outside and get some punani or something.

Or get paid 6 figures to analyze numbers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Or get paid 6 figures to analyze numbers.

And, of course, the Bill James disciple pops up when it comes to over-analyzing or straight up inventing meaningless stats. Maybe somebody outta get word to KW to sell high on CQ because some stat dork suggests his HR total from a year ago scream fluke because when he hit them they all didn't literally leave the ballpark. lol. Pathetic. And what they make doesn't mean squat. That's like me saying Peter Vecsey is a legitimate NBA columnist/analyst because he's made a fortune over the years when he pretty much does nothing outside inventing/fabricating trades that never come close to happening. I'm not saying all these 'stats' are totally useless. But "just enough" HR is 40-year old virgin territory.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
And, of course, the Bill James disciple pops up when it comes to over-analyzing or straight up inventing meaningless stats. Maybe somebody outta get word to KW to sell high on CQ because some stat dork suggests his HR total from a year ago scream fluke because when he hit them they all didn't literally leave the ballpark. lol. Pathetic. And what they make doesn't mean squat. That's like me saying Peter Vecsey is a legitimate NBA columnist/analyst because he's made a fortune over the years when he pretty much does nothing outside inventing/fabricating trades that never come close to happening. I'm not saying all these 'stats' are totally useless. But "just enough" HR is 40-year old virgin territory.

Wow, aren't you're flustered. You know nothing about me, don't act like you do. The real question is, where does all your hostility come from? Since we apparently know so much about each other I'm guessing it's an inferiority complex.

I don't know what some guy at NSBB posted, I don't read that site. Can't say that I agree with a "just enough" theory either but I'd also never just dismiss something like it off hand. Can't say that I'm not a wee bit concerned by the amount of HR Quentin just got over the wall last year and how his possible loss of power from his wrist injury could cost him some this year. I don't really think that has anything to with stats, that's as close to a case of "eyeballing" as you're going to find. Is there even any statistical analysis involved? Anyone who goes back and watches all of his homeruns from last year could see that probably the majority of them just cleared the fence and make a rash judgment. Hell this sounds closer to something Steve Stone would say than Satan James.

You like to rip and degrade people who spend significant time analyzing the numbers of the game, calling them nerdy and insinuating that they don't get enough pussy, probably because they're too busy tapping away at a calculator in their parent's basement. These same people make lots and lots of money doing what they do, a lot of them graduate from Ivy League Universities and get hired by Professional Baseball Organizations as consultants. If you don't think that most every front office has a few of these people influencing their moves then you're mistaken. Obviously someone thinks it's all worth a damn even if they are no talent hacks like Peter Vecsey (a man who works in the entertainment business, I'm not sure his inane blabber directly influences the multi-million dollar deals of a muli-billion dollar industry). Personally I like this side of the game, if someone has a theory on why something is, I love to hear it. In school I was never very good at math so I appreciate these people doing the work for me and I gotta say, after a few years of reading up on a lot of that nerdy crap I think I've actually learned a few things about mathematics and statistics, it's a nice side effect.

The funny thing is; I don't know half as much about sabermetrics or advanced statistical analysis as you think I do. I just happen to know a little more than most people on here. I'm a f***ing novice.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
Wow, aren't you're flustered. You know nothing about me, don't act like you do. The real question is, where does all your hostility come from? Since we apparently know so much about each other I'm guessing it's an inferiority complex.

I didn't claim to know you. I don't "know" anybody from this board. But I do "know" that if I had a dollar for every one of your posts that included the name Bill James or whatever stat whore/metric out there, I'd be kickin' it next to Oprah along the Gold Coast. In fact, I knew that you, and only you, would be the first person to respond to my original post regarding this subject. Inferiority complex? No offense. But don't flatter yourself. This is a baseball message board. One of, like, 2 million of them. That is all. You're the one that came with salary figures as in, "Well, they make money doing this, so they obviously know more than you" talk.

I don't know what some guy at NSBB posted, I don't read that site. Can't say that I agree with a "just enough" theory either but I'd also never just dismiss something like it off hand. Can't say that I'm not a wee bit concerned by the amount of HR Quentin just got over the wall last year and how his possible loss of power from his wrist injury could cost him some this year. I don't really think that has anything to with stats, that's as close to a case of "eyeballing" as you're going to find. Is there even any statistical analysis involved? Anyone who goes back and watches all of his homeruns from last year could see that probably the majority of them just cleared the fence and make a rash judgment. Hell this sounds closer to something Steve Stone would say than Satan James.

I'm sorry. "Just enough" HR is over-analyzing for the sake of over-analyzing. That's the way I see it. If you try hard enough, you can manipulate just about anything to support a specific claim. Which in this case we have somebody trying to insinuate that despite the fact a particular guy (CQ), who's done nothing but rake when healthy, is possibly due for a decline because however many of his shots only went a certain distance. And I don't hate Bill James. I disagree with some of his metrics/formulas. But I do find some of his stuff interesting. You, IMO, take it a little too far. It's like you're letting the guy think for you.

You like to rip and degrade people who spend significant time analyzing the numbers of the game, calling them nerdy and insinuating that they don't get enough pussy, probably because they're too busy tapping away at a calculator in their parent's basement. These same people make lots and lots of money doing what they do, a lot of them graduate from Ivy League Universities and get hired by Professional Baseball Organizations as consultants. If you don't think that most every front office has a few of these people influencing their moves then you're mistaken. Obviously someone thinks it's all worth a damn even if they are no talent hacks like Peter Vecsey (a man who works in the entertainment business, I'm not sure his inane blabber directly influences the multi-million dollar deals of a muli-billion dollar industry). Personally I like this side of the game, if someone has a theory on why something is, I love to hear it. In school I was never very good at math so I appreciate these people doing the work for me and I gotta say, after a few years of reading up on a lot of that nerdy crap I think I've actually learned a few things about mathematics and statistics, it's a nice side effect.

Fine. Maybe the virgin jokes or whatever was going a little far (I thought it was funny). But I'm pretty sure a vast majority feel the same way I do. I get annoyed when every 5 minutes there's some new/hip offensive/defensive metric that is supposed to tell us something our eyes simply can't (I'm talking overall. Not really this specific subject). Like I said, I think some of the stuff is cool. Some of it is a joke. That's just my opinion. If you're hardcore with it, fine. But don't try and come at me or anybody else (which I've seen you do before) and hint (not saying you actually come out and say it, but you do imply) that we have no right to question these guys because they get paid to do what they're doing.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Theres a pretty hilarious thread on nsbb.com talking about how Quentin's HR's last year were lucky.

Just goes to prove that if you want to find a metric to prove any point in baseball, you can make it up and people will fall in line

That BS that roast is talking about only takes into account that homeruns could be lucky if they are windblown. Well what happens if the wind is blowing in? Do you get extra points in the stupid metric for that?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

(dont get what this has to do with the cubs lol) yea, its funny bcuz literally everyone thinks cq was a fluke last year. hes not even rated as a top 20 ofer lol baseball perspectives(or however u spell it) and all those sites think it was

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
(dont get what this has to do with the cubs lol) yea, its funny bcuz literally everyone thinks cq was a fluke last year. hes not even rated as a top 20 ofer lol baseball perspectives(or however u spell it) and all those sites think it was

nsbb.com is a big cubs forum

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
nsbb.com is a big cubs forum

oh lol ... :gosox3: its funny bcuz if cq was on the cubs and had the year he did, he would be the next big thing. but hes on the sox so he sucks and is a fluke and no one cares

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)

Oh, you mean that site with the one guy who posts hundreds of meaningless stats ("The Cubs are 3-4 on days where there's a solar eclipse", etc.) and says "have I ever mentioned how much I really, really, REALLY HATE the WHITE SOX???" every chance he gets???

Friends don't let friends go to NSBB.com.

Edited by zimne piwo

Wait, huh? Retiring a number for 2 people?

The Chicago Cubs will retire the No. 31 worn by both Ferguson Jenkins and Greg Maddux.

They two star right-handed pitchers will be honored at a ceremony May 3 before a game against Florida at Wrigley Field.

It will be the fifth number retired by the Cubs, joining No. 14 (Ernie Banks), No. 26 (Billy Williams), No. 10 (Ron Santo) and No. 23 (Ryne Sandberg).

Jenkins, elected to the Hall of Fame in 1991, and Maddux, who won 355 games before retiring in December, are the first pitchers in Cubs history to have their numbers retired.

Can the Cell book Prince? Perhaps then we can afford some FAs.

"This is going to sound odd, but Elton John's going to help us win some ballgames," Kenney said. "The CBOE [seat] auction last year paid for Rich Harden. The 'Road to Wrigley' game sponsored our Asian scouting operation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7763341.story

This all makes me upset but i'm not sure in what way yet.

Edited by Princess Dye