2009 Cubs thread

daa84

I ask this because i'm curious: what affect would Ted Lilly throwing a no hitter have on anything? Carlos Zambrano threw one last September and it really meant nothing other than being a nice achievement for him personally.

It means something to the Cubs as they are giving out replica trophies or statues or him throwing the no hitter as a promotion this year.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
I wonder what we could get from the Cubs for Jenks. I really can't think of anyone i'd want from them. We don't need Vitters, Colvin, might be okay, but their system is really devoid of any talent near the top. All this is a round-about way of saying they're going to have a hell of a time filling up holes this year without giving away Vitters or even D-Lee.

They're basically where we were at before the 2007 draft. They've had a terrible run with their first-round draft picks recently.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
They're basically where we were at before the 2007 draft. They've had a terrible run with their first-round draft picks recently.

They've also given up a ton of picks to sign those FA's they've used to build their team.

they're going to have a hell of a time filling up holes this year without giving away Vitters or even D-Lee.

How were they able to get Harden last year for practically nothing (nothing that hurt them, anyway)? Like someone said once before, it seems other GM's just give their players away to the Cubs to help them succeed. Obviously that's not the case but that's what it looks like sometimes. If they get Peavy this year for nothing I'm really going to be ticked. I really, really hope Milwauke goes after him hard and Peavy waives his no-trade clause for them.

Btw, did Hendry trade for Reed Johnson or did they sign him?

QUOTE (JustWin @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
How were they able to get Harden last year for practically nothing (nothing that hurt them, anyway)? Like someone said once before, it seems other GM's just give their players away to the Cubs to help them succeed. Obviously that's not the case but that's what it looks like sometimes. If they get Peavy this year for nothing I'm really going to be ticked. I really, really hope Milwauke goes after him hard and Peavy waives his no-trade clause for them.

They signed Reed Johnson after Toronto released him. Cutting him saved Toronto $2.5 million.

And they got Harden because he gave Billy Beane 10 starts and that was the first chance Beane had in like 4 years to actually trade him for anything at all.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)

Big difference in landing a chronically injured pitcher (although he's extremely talented) who's averaged a little under 17 starts per year in his career compared to a multiple all-star, multiple ERA champ, strikeout champ, who happened to win the CY Young award just two seasons ago. Just look at what the Mariners gave up for Erik Bedard. It 'should' take a package like that to land an even better pitcher in Peavy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
Big difference in landing a chronically injured pitcher (although he's extremely talented) who's averaged a little under 17 starts per year in his career compared to a multiple all-star, multiple ERA champ, strikeout champ, who happened to win the CY Young award just two seasons ago. Just look at what the Mariners gave up for Erik Bedard. It 'should' take a package like that to land an even better pitcher in Peavy.

Especially since, at least for now, the Padres are winning some games.

There was a small article on ESPN that said Milwaukee may go after Peavy. I think the Brewers are one of the teams on Peavy's approval list so I hope they're able to work out a deal. Not only would that prevent the Cubs from getting him but that would also give the Brewers a legitimate ace on their staff that hopefully they can keep beyond just a half season.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
What a weird day for Harden...8K's but 4 ER in 3 innings. If he manages to stay healthy most of the year, do the Cubs re-sign him?

it may be an extreme example, but many of Harden's outings follow a similar path. He throws a ton of pitches and is out early in the game.

I thought that was kind of a contrived story about the racism.

It implied heavily that everybody knows Wrigley crowds are racist.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age fans at Wrigley would laugh and condone racist jokes by people sitting in their section.

I would think if the paper wanted a story on racism they probably should have spent a lot more time on it and polled players on many teams about playing in Wrigley and the Cell and asking them if they had any problems.

And also go in the stands and talk to some fans in both ballparks and get some off the record comments if fans didn't want to go on the record.

I am not a Cub fan, but I find it hard to believe that park is as racist as the article implied.

So, its not even 2 complete weeks into the season, and already Milton Bradley has...

--Injured his groin and missed games

--Made at least a couple laughably bad plays in the OF that I have seen

--Gotten ejected for arguing with an umpire, and will face suspension

LOL, oh yeah, he's reformed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
So, its not even 2 complete weeks into the season, and already Milton Bradley has...

--Injured his groin and missed games

--Made at least a couple laughably bad plays in the OF that I have seen

--Gotten ejected for arguing with an umpire, and will face suspension

LOL, oh yeah, he's reformed.

Oh Milton Bradley will be quite a treat to watch this summer, no doubt.

However, the suspension talk is kind of bogus, the umpire is claiming Bradley made contact with him and that is not the case. His reputation is fueling the suspension talk. I love how Lou just let him do it and didnt even go out there to back him up

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:13 AM)
Oh Milton Bradley will be quite a treat to watch this summer, no doubt.

However, the suspension talk is kind of bogus, the umpire is claiming Bradley made contact with him and that is not the case. His reputation is fueling the suspension talk. I love how Lou just let him do it and didnt even go out there to back him up

From what I read, the bills of their caps made contact. Kind of lame for "contact". But regardless of that part, I think its hilarious that he got ejected after his first at bat at Wrigley Field. He couldn't even make it through a whole game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
I thought that was kind of a contrived story about the racism.

It implied heavily that everybody knows Wrigley crowds are racist.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age fans at Wrigley would laugh and condone racist jokes by people sitting in their section.

I would think if the paper wanted a story on racism they probably should have spent a lot more time on it and polled players on many teams about playing in Wrigley and the Cell and asking them if they had any problems.

And also go in the stands and talk to some fans in both ballparks and get some off the record comments if fans didn't want to go on the record.

I am not a Cub fan, but I find it hard to believe that park is as racist as the article implied.

It's definitely not the first I've heard of drunk fans in Wrigley acting like that, so I wouldn't doubt it. However, that article made it sound like they have KKK rallies in the bleachers or something, which anyone who has ever been to a Cubs game knows is laughable. But yeah I totally believe that there are individual dumbasses out there that make the rest of them look bad.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
It's definitely not the first I've heard of drunk fans in Wrigley acting like that, so I wouldn't doubt it. However, that article made it sound like they have KKK rallies in the bleachers or something, which anyone who has ever been to a Cubs game knows is laughable. But yeah I totally believe that there are individual dumbasses out there that make the rest of them look bad.

A la William Ligue Jr and Son