2009 Cubs thread

daa84

Sucks that the Cubs have a 4 game series against the Marlins, and they miss Josh Johnson. He's been a real fun pitcher to watch. The Marlins, as a whole, have like 8 good players on their roster. The rest of them are pretty awful, and I can't see them finishing higher than 4th in the NL East.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
The Cubs offense has the potential to be really potent. However, they have no bench and they have no pen. Jim Hendry has done very little of value since stealing A-Ram from the Pirates.

The Cubs bench is pretty damn good. Hoffpauir's a very good back-up 1B, and Miles is a good 2b/SS guy. Gathright gives them speed/defense in CF, and Hill seems like a suitable back-up catcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
The Cubs bench is pretty damn good. Hoffpauir's a very good back-up 1B, and Miles is a good 2b/SS guy. Gathright gives them speed/defense in CF, and Hill seems like a suitable back-up catcher.

Yes, but Lou doesn't use them well. Correct me if i'm wrong, but while Hill's been hitting well, Lou sat him for about two weeks straight last week. Gathright has become a bondafide pinch runner, and while Hoffpauir hits, he can't do much else.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
Yes, but Lou doesn't use them well. Correct me if i'm wrong, but while Hill's been hitting well, Lou sat him for about two weeks straight last week. Gathright has become a bondafide pinch runner, and while Hoffpauir hits, he can't do much else.

They've had so many injuries this year, they haven't been able to utilize their bench in their appropriate roles.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)

Miles sucks and Gathright cant hit. But yeah Hoffpauir is pretty solid except his defense is brutal.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 3, 2009 -> 05:14 AM)
Miles sucks and Gathright cant hit. But yeah Hoffpauir is pretty solid except his defense is brutal.

Miles hit over .300 in a lot of at bats last season. To say he sucks would be false, in my opinion.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Miles hit over .300 in a lot of at bats last season. To say he sucks would be false, in my opinion.

cubs don't offer the protection the cards did in the lineup last year.

cubs fans I know are not happy with him at all.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 2, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
cubs don't offer the protection the cards did in the lineup last year.

cubs fans I know are not happy with him at all.

I would say they offer more protection than the Cardinals last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
I would say they offer more protection than the Cardinals last year.

Well he did bat .358/.390/.444/.834 hitting in front of the best hitter in the game last year and put up similar numbers in the 7 hole which was often in front of the pitcher.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 2, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)

JOey Gathright=Jerry Owens.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)

His career OPS is a whopping .687, he might as well be an infielder form of Jerry Owens without the plus speed.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Cubs were supposed to face Oswalt on Thursday, but now they'll be facing Russ Ortiz....yay!

It seems like the last couple years the Cubs have always found a way to miss the other team's ace. Of course they play the Marlins and miss Josh Johnson, last year they never saw Jair Jurrjens against Atlanta. Do they get Lincecum this week?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 3, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
It seems like the last couple years the Cubs have always found a way to miss the other team's ace. Of course they play the Marlins and miss Josh Johnson, last year they never saw Jair Jurrjens against Atlanta. Do they get Lincecum this week?

Supposed to get Lincecum...watch it rain on Tuesday. They've missed Volquez the last 4 times they faced the Reds. Meanwhile, the Sox are destined to face the other team's ace 90 pct of the time it seems.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Joey Gathright is probably the most athletic man in the MLB, right now. Jerry Owens has nonthing on him

That's why he couldn't get a job with the Royals, or a major league offer from anyone during spring training. The dude is a glorified pinch runner. We just had one of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
That's why he couldn't get a job with the Royals, or a major league offer from anyone during spring training. The dude is a glorified pinch runner. We just had one of them.

Can Jerry Owens jump over a car and then post it on Youtube?

I think f***ing not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)

Gathright got signed pretty quickly during the offseason (mid December), IIRC. To compare Owens speed to Gathright is just silly.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)

he's not even that with the Cubs, he just eats a roster space. This week they pinch ran Zambrano instead of him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Gathright got signed pretty quickly during the offseason (mid December), IIRC. To compare Owens speed to Gathright is just silly.

To a minor league contract. The guy sucks, and has only one aspect to his game. Speed. He is the same guy who we just ran out of town, sorry just because he has a baby hear on his chest, I am not about to turn him into something he isn't.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 3, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
he's not even that with the Cubs, he just eats a roster space. This week they pinch ran Zambrano instead of him.

They did that cause of the injury issues, and wanted to keep at least one more position player on the bench. None of us is saying Gathright is an amazing player, but he's definitely a significantly more athletic player than Owens with better base running skills due to his electric speed. He was voted the fastest player in the majors by his peers I believe 3 straight seasons.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
To a minor league contract. The guy sucks, and has only one aspect to his game. Speed. He is the same guy who we just ran out of town, sorry just because he has a baby hear on his chest, I am not about to turn him into something he isn't.

The problem with Owens is he didn't know how to use his "speed". I'm still not convinced that recent injuries left Owens with anything other than good, but not great speed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)

I never said Gathright was a good ball player, if anything his skillset suggests a track-star, or a high-jumper. Owens could be on the track team, in high school.