2009 Cubs thread

daa84

January 14th, 2005:

Cubs signed RHP Chad Fox to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Worth a try. Fox could be a longshot candidate for saves in Chicago is he shows he's healthy. Of course, this is a pitcher who has thrown a total of 58 2/3 innings the last three years. He should be able to overcome the inflamed ulnar nerve that sidelined him for most of last season, but that doesn't mean another problem isn't right around the corner.

April 26th, 2005:

After entering a 10-3 game, Chad Fox walked two and gave up a three-run homer to Adam Dunn before leaving with an arm injury tonight.

Aren't you glad you picked him up yesterday? If this is another long-term setback for Fox, maybe Michael Wuertz, who struck out the only batter he faced tonight, will become the favorite for saves on the Cubs. LaTroy Hawkins pitched a scoreless eighth, but that probably doesn't help his case.

January 11th, 2008:

Cubs signed RHP Chad Fox to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

There's a name we didn't think we'd be hearing again. Fox, 37, last pitched in the majors with the Cubs in 2005, but he lasted just eight innings then. Due to his chronic elbow troubles, he's only pitched 50 innings in a major league season twice (1998 and 2001). He was always very intriguing when healthy -- he's fanned 261 in 224 1/3 career innings -- but he's a long shot to be of much help to the Cubs now.

May 20th, 2008:

Cubs placed RHP Chad Fox on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 12, with ulnar neuritis in his right arm.

It was only a matter of time. Fox had allowed two runs in 3 1/3 innings since being called up on May 2.

December 3rd, 2008:

Cubs re-signed RHP Chad Fox to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Let's try it again. Fox's 2008 comeback lasted 3 1/3 innings before he went on the DL with elbow troubles. It was his first action in the majors since 2005, and he hasn't pitched significant innings since 2003. He's 38 now, and there's almost no realistic chance that he'll be able to stay healthy and contribute to the Cubs' cause.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 9, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
He's not better but he'll probably do so well that they don't even miss Aramis. Just like the luck they got with Jim Edmonds last year who couldn't buy a hit in San Diego but then all of a sudden was wonder boy for the Cubs. Freel will end up having a career year, watch.

I love how 26 of your 40 posts are in this cubs thread.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2009 -> 07:00 AM)
Boy for being such a "loveable" franchise, the Cubs sure have assembled an impressive list of assholes on their roster. Not a lot of likeable players on that team anymore.

Well I think the culture of that franchise is changing and not so much for the better but it is changing from being the loveable team. The fans and media are really quick to rip on their team now when before they could do nothing wrong. Before it was eternal optimism and now they are pretty negative when the Cubs are doing bad.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Well I think the culture of that franchise is changing and not so much for the better but it is changing from being the loveable team. The fans and media are really quick to rip on their team now when before they could do nothing wrong. Before it was eternal optimism and now they are pretty negative when the Cubs are doing bad.

I cant blame them for realizing 100 years of optimism did not work. Its too bad they thing they have to swing the pendulum the other way completely

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Boy for being such a "loveable" franchise, the Cubs sure have assembled an impressive list of assholes on their roster. Not a lot of likeable players on that team anymore.

I've been saying that for a while. Theriot seems like a good guy, as he seems like someone who Mark Buehrle who should have never made the Majors with their skill set but have worked hard and just outsmart the opposition. D. Lee, on the other hand, is one of the biggest whiners in all of baseball.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
I've been saying that for a while. Theriot seems like a good guy, as he seems like someone who Mark Buehrle who should have never made the Majors with their skill set but have worked hard and just outsmart the opposition. D. Lee, on the other hand, is one of the biggest whiners in all of baseball.

He's undergoing an MRI on his neck/upper back today... so they may be short another player.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

Fontenot's the same way too. The problem with the cubs it that their becoming too reliant on "grinder types." They have the money to buy talent, so they should buy the damn talent. They have nonthing in the minors that isn't one or two years away.

I think he was saying, perhaps, you are a little Cubs-sessed.

I probably am. So what?

I thought I could join this forum and speak freely on how much I loathe the Cubs and their fans. Maybe I was wrong.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I probably am. So what?

I thought I could join this forum and speak freely on how much I loathe the Cubs and their fans. Maybe I was wrong.

try and mix in a little sox talk(haha, see what I did there?) and you wont catch too much flak

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Fontenot's the same way too. The problem with the cubs it that their becoming too reliant on "grinder types." They have the money to buy talent, so they should buy the damn talent. They have nonthing in the minors that isn't one or two years away.

The big problem with that line of thinking is...how has buying the talent worked for the Yankees over the past 10 years? Even the Yankees haven't been able to buy enough talent to win a world series. Even the Yankees need a supply of young guys to fill holes or give them quality replacements or trade-bait.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
The big problem with that line of thinking is...how has buying the talent worked for the Yankees over the past 10 years? Even the Yankees haven't been able to buy enough talent to win a world series. Even the Yankees need a supply of young guys to fill holes or give them quality replacements or trade-bait.

I think there's a very fine line that you have to walk. The Yankees basically sign people all willy-nilly, but with little thought to lineup construction. When they had success they had a decent balance between starts, non-stars, and rookies. The Cubs had this okay, back when they were healthy, but upper managements backup plans seems to be people like Miles, Freel, ETC. I think their's better, marginal players out their.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I probably am. So what?

Feel free. Just expect that the reactions you get might be related to the fact that you seem to do more Cubs hating than Sox liking. If that's your thing, hey, go nuts.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 13, 2009 -> 03:57 AM)
Milton Bradley has started hitting. IF he does so consistently, i only see the Cubs looking behind them in the division for the rest of the year. Sadly for them, the Dodgers are the better team.

The Cubs are 1.5 games out and have hit as bad as possible. I also am not sold on the Dodgers, as their starting pitching besides Billingsley stinks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Milton Bradley has started hitting. IF he does so consistently, i only see the Cubs looking behind them in the division for the rest of the year. Sadly for them, the Dodgers are the better team.

Yeah, average all the way up to .186. That's hot, baby! And the Cubs aren't leaving anybody behind anytime soon as suspect (horrible) as their bullpen is.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
The Cubs are 1.5 games out and have hit as bad as possible. I also am not sold on the Dodgers, as their starting pitching besides Billingsley stinks.

Don't be fooled by Kershaw's ERA. All his peripheral stats are just fine (outside of his BB/9). Randy Wolf has been fantastic this year. He won't maintain his current numbers, but as my #4? He's more than serviceable. Kuroda will be back soon. Their rotation is just fine.

And the Cubs aren't leaving anybody behind anytime soon as suspect (horrible) as their bullpen is.

Well the Cardinals have not been playing well lately and I thought I heard the Ryan Ludwick blew a hamstring last night? So who knows what happens to that team. The Reds and Brewers might put up a fight but unfortunately I think the Cubs still have the most talent in that division. It just may not be such a cakewalk like it was last year for them.

I've said to friends before that last year was the Cubs' year to take advantage of the weakest NL that I've ever seen. The Cubs were far and away the best team in the league last season. Thank God they choked in the playoffs again. But my fear is that the more they make the playoffs the better the odds of them actually doing well one of these years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
Yeah, average all the way up to .186. That's hot, baby! And the Cubs aren't leaving anybody behind anytime soon as suspect (horrible) as their bullpen is.

Everyother team in that division has just as many question marks if not more. The Cubs starting five and offense will eventually surmount any challenge that the Brewers offense can throw at it, but as you did mentioned the bullpen is very, very bad. I see that as the X-Factor, but i don't see it a bridge they can't cross.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
Well the Cardinals have not been playing well lately and I thought I heard the Ryan Ludwick blew a hamstring last night? So who knows what happens to that team. The Reds and Brewers might put up a fight but unfortunately I think the Cubs still have the most talent in that division. It just may not be such a cakewalk like it was last year for them.

I've said to friends before that last year was the Cubs' year to take advantage of the weakest NL that I've ever seen. The Cubs were far and away the best team in the league last season. Thank God they choked in the playoffs again. But my fear is that the more they make the playoffs the better the odds of them actually doing well one of these years.

Were the Cardinals supposed to play .680 baseball all year? Of course they've come down some since their hot start. Ludwick's hamstring injury doesn't appear to be anything close to serious. Not sure why you're freaking out there. The Cardinals have the most explosive offense in the division. Their starting to get their bullpen in order. The one thing you have to question is if their starting pitching can hold up.

Edit: And I stand corrected. Ludwick was just placed on the 15-day DL. Tough break for them. Hopefully he's back in two weeks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Everyother team in that division has just as many question marks if not more. The Cubs starting five and offense will eventually surmount any challenge that the Brewers offense can throw at it, but as you did mentioned the bullpen is very, very bad. I see that as the X-Factor, but i don't see it a bridge they can't cross.

This is true. Nobody is going to run away with that division this year. The Cubs should still be the favorites. But the Cards aren't going anywhere. And if the Reds continue to get the pitching they've gotten thus far, they'll be a factor as well.

Edited by Jordan4life