2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
And the Cubs win. Worst managing I've seen in my life. A good throw by Pence gets him easily at home. I hate baseball this year.

I knew this game was over when LaToliet walked Scales.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ May 16, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
I knew this game was over when LaToliet walked Scales.

After he had thrown about 3 pitches down the plate called a ball. Oh well, if this results in Marmol becoming their closer, I consider it a good game. Marmol's the best shut down man in the 8th inning in a hell of a long time.

Just saving justwin a few seconds by making this post for him.

Ok seriously, what's your problem? I'm not the only one who hates that the Cubs have been really good and posts about it in this damn forum.

You want me to talk more about liking the Sox? Have you seen the way the Sox have been playing lately? There's nothing positive to say about them right now.

Sheesh, why did I bother joining this forum if you all are going to harp on me?

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 16, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Ok seriously, what's your problem? I'm not the only one who hates that the Cubs have been really good and posts about it in this damn forum.

You want me to talk more about liking the Sox? Have you seen the way the Sox have been playing lately? There's nothing positive to say about them right now.

Sheesh, why did I bother joining this forum if you all are going to harp on me?

LOL. Calm down. I'm pretty much clownin' around.

Well someone else was just "clowning" around yesterday and it wasn't really funny then. Not sure why I'm being singled out.

It's bad enough that the team I love will be in last place soon. I just wanted a place to come and vent. I'm sorry, just not in a fun mood lately.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
I'm not trying to be an ass, but go back and look what I said: with Manny out, there's little question they're the best in the NL. When Manny returns in 2 months, who knows who will be on the DL.

And my retort continues to be that they're simply not the best team in the NL right now. Give them Zambrano back and healthy, Harden somehow healthy magically, Marmol back to where he was last year, and no other injuries, and maybe they still are, although they're not as good as they were last year unless Theriot keeps putting up this .900 OPS.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ May 16, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
No doubt Marmol should be their closer.

I'd argue that point. When he's on he's unhittable for (usually) two extremley high-leverage innings. You can't sacrifice that guy for sitiuations where his team's up three in the top of the 9th.

What the hell are people freaking out about...they're feasting on the Astros and Padres of late. Hitting their stride my ass. Their last meaningful series, they lost 2 of 3 to the team in front of them in the NLC. And do they really expect Ryan Theriot to carry their offense? It's only a matter of time before Soriano pulls a hammy doing a hop in the outfield or something.

Rich Hill, former Cubs 3rd starter, looked very sharp for the Orioles last night. I don't think their was a future for Hill in Chicago (from what i've heard) because of physical and mental issues, but i think this speaks to a failure on part of the Cubs pitching coach. Larry Rothschild is a guy who doesn't make pitchers worse, but hardly seems to make them that much better.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
Gotta love the match-up today of Harden vs Moehler. Harden has some of the best stuff in baseball, while Moehler might have the worst. Isn't it time for Harden or Soriano to go on the DL?
Yeah, and the Cubs lost.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ May 16, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
You don't need much now a days to get something decent in return. Example, the Cubs traded a bag o' crap to Oakland for Rich Harden last year. In my opinion Milwaukee still has the best chance of knocking them off if the Brew Crew can pick up some pitching (Peavy) at the deadline. Not sold on the Cardinals or Reds even though the Reds might be a year away from being a contender with their young pitching.

The Brewers gave up arguably the top offensive prospect in baseball for 3 months of CC Sabathia. The Cubs got Harden for decent, but not overwhelming prospects, because he started 45 games between 2005 and 2008 with Oakland (he started 12 more games with the Cubs). That's 11 starts a year. Beane was just looking to get some kind of value for him before he got hurt again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2009 -> 05:05 AM)
The Brewers gave up arguably the top offensive prospect in baseball for 3 months of CC Sabathia. The Cubs got Harden for decent, but not overwhelming prospects, because he started 45 games between 2005 and 2008 with Oakland (he started 12 more games with the Cubs). That's 11 starts a year. Beane was just looking to get some kind of value for him before he got hurt again.

Good post. When he was traded I believe he had never started more than 10 games in a row or something along those lines. He's a huge risk to have on your staff, because while he has tremendous stuff, he gets hurt a lot or he often ends up throwing 100+ pitches in 5 innings and a team finds itself in its bullpen early in a game. Don't forget, if it wasn't a 40 man roster in Sept. he probably would have been on the DL.

Before he got traded one of the ESPN analysts, I believe it was Olney, said on radio that if the A's wanted anything near decent value for him he would have had to pitch all of the 2nd half healthy. The Cubs traded him for nothing because they took his salary and the A's were willing to get little for him to get rid of his contract. His ERA+ for this year is only 98

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 18, 2009 -> 07:37 AM)
Good post. When he was traded I believe he had never started more than 10 games in a row or something along those lines. He's a huge risk to have on your staff, because while he has tremendous stuff, he gets hurt a lot or he often ends up throwing 100+ pitches in 5 innings and a team finds itself in its bullpen early in a game. Don't forget, if it wasn't a 40 man roster in Sept. he probably would have been on the DL.

Before he got traded one of the ESPN analysts, I believe it was Olney, said on radio that if the A's wanted anything near decent value for him he would have had to pitch all of the 2nd half healthy. The Cubs traded him for nothing because they took his salary and the A's were willing to get little for him to get rid of his contract. His ERA+ for this year is only 98

After starting 31 games in 2004, his starts per season dropped:

2005: 19 (22 total appearances)

2006: 9

2007: 4 (7 appearances)

2008: 25

Not to mention, in '08, he averaged just under 6 innings per start, and so far this year is averaging under 5.5 innings per start. The guy has some of the best stuff in all of baseball, but the combination of his injury history and inability to last past the 6th inning really lowers his value. He only has two complete games in his whole career, and those were in '05.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 18, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Bad news for us, Rickie Weeks is out for the year.

Yep, that sucks, as he was coming into his own finally. Counsell will get the start now at 2B, but makes a terrible bench that much thinner.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Yep, that sucks, as he was coming into his own finally. Counsell will get the start now at 2B, but makes a terrible bench that much thinner.

I wish they would give Gamel a shot at third and platoon Counsell and Weeks at second.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Hell of a performance by Pineiro tonight. Only need 93 pitches, I believe, to shut out the Cubs.

Cub lineup doesn't look that much better. Carpenter is throwing again.....for how long, who knows.

Dave Duncan is so underappreciated it is disgusting.