2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Ugh, they're getting some big time clutch hits now. Must be nice to have a lefty power bat on your bench.

What can you say? It's a team full of frontrunners. Once 1 or 2 get it going, a bunch of the others will, especially against lousy pitching. That's their makeup. (It's one of the reasons that they've been a bad playoff hitting team, when they can't feast on bad pitchers.) Hell, you know they're getting it going that way when Fukucrappo gets a hit.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
What can you say? It's a team full of frontrunners. Once 1 or 2 get it going, a bunch of the others will, especially against lousy pitching. That's their makeup. (It's one of the reasons that they've been a bad playoff hitting team, when they can't feast on bad pitchers.) Hell, you know they're getting it going that way when Fukucrappo gets a hit.

A positive I was thinking about yesterday is that even if the Cubs do make the postseason, there's almost no chance they'd have home field advantage throughout if the Dodgers make it past round 1. I'm assuming that the wild card will come out of the NL East (Mets and Phillies both make it).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
A positive I was thinking about yesterday is that even if the Cubs do make the postseason, there's almost no chance they'd have home field advantage throughout if the Dodgers make it past round 1. I'm assuming that the wild card will come out of the NL East (Mets and Phillies both make it).

The basic problem that the Cubs have isn't their hitting. That's pretty likely to come around a bit, especially when the great and always-hustling Aramis Ramirez comes back.

The real problem they have is their bullpen (which their late rallies tend to obscure, interestingly). Kevin Gregg is not effective. Marmol hasn't had good command for most of the year. That's going to be an issue for them all year, I think.

And, finally, the most telling thing that happened all year with that team was when the Giants were in a few months ago. Lincecum pitched. Lou's response? "Rest" most of the regulars. His reasoning was that they were in a long stretch of games, but it just said a lot to me about their makeup. They get fat off 3rd and 4th and 5th starters in Wrigley all year. But they couldn't hit good pitching in the playoffs the past 2 years, and when it's time to face a good one this year, well, Lou basically folded up. Seemed very . . . quitter-like.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
The basic problem that the Cubs have isn't their hitting. That's pretty likely to come around a bit, especially when the great and always-hustling Aramis Ramirez comes back.

The real problem they have is their bullpen (which their late rallies tend to obscure, interestingly). Kevin Gregg is not effective. Marmol hasn't had good command for most of the year. That's going to be an issue for them all year, I think.

And, finally, the most telling thing that happened all year with that team was when the Giants were in a few months ago. Lincecum pitched. Lou's response? "Rest" most of the regulars. His reasoning was that they were in a long stretch of games, but it just said a lot to me about their makeup. They get fat off 3rd and 4th and 5th starters in Wrigley all year. But they couldn't hit good pitching in the playoffs the past 2 years, and when it's time to face a good one this year, well, Lou basically folded up. Seemed very . . . quitter-like.

Ascanio and Guzman have had very good years for them under the radar. You forget they even have Heilman.

Edited by fathom

Gotta love the team with the worst bullpen in baseball trying to play smallball with the bunt in the 8th inning. How does Wedge still have a job? Indians doing everything they can to not win this game.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
Gotta love the team with the worst bullpen in baseball trying to play smallball with the bunt in the 8th inning. How does Wedge still have a job? Indians doing everything they can to not win this game.

Now that Ned Yost and the guy in Toronto is gone (who Cito replaced), Wedge may be second on the list of the worst managers in baseball. Fortunately for Indians fans I don't think he'll be able to catch Dusty Baker.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Cubs sweep a horrible Cleveland team. I have a feeling they will fall back to earth the next few days though. They go down to Atlanta for a makeup tomorrow where they face Javy, and head Detroit where they will see Jackson and Porcello.

Cubs @ Detroit one of those series one doesn't know who to root for.

Cause

Ur

Bullpen

Sucks

Cause

Ur

Bullpen

Sucks