2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
He's got a real nice arm. He's basically their version of Alexei Ramirez. He's just dumb out there.

His arm is really good.

That's what's made his UZR so good in past years.

This year he's cost the Cubs 6 runs before today. I would imagine that's going up after today.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
And just think about all the crap this board gives KW. In just two short years we went from a team that had zero young/impact talent at both the major and minor league levels to CQ, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Poreda, Danks2, Flowers, Viciedo, ect. Best FA signing in team history (Dye)? That's KW. How about turning the bust that was Joe Borchard into arguably the most dominant LH RP in baseball? That's KW. Jose Contreras for Estaban Loaiza? That's KW. One of the best and most consistent pitchers of this era (Buehrle), who's never sniffed the DL and shown no signs of slowing down, locked up for the next two years after this one at a more than reasonable rate? That's KW (and a little bit of Rick Hahn).

I know KW isn't perfect. He's made a few moves I wish he hadn't. But the hits more than compensate for the misses. I'm glad Mr. Kenny Williams is our GM.

:headbang

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
And just think about all the crap this board gives KW. In just two short years we went from a team that had zero young/impact talent at both the major and minor league levels to CQ, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Poreda, Danks2, Flowers, Viciedo, ect. Best FA signing in team history (Dye)? That's KW. How about turning the bust that was Joe Borchard into arguably the most dominant LH RP in baseball? That's KW. Jose Contreras for Estaban Loaiza? That's KW. One of the best and most consistent pitchers of this era (Buehrle), who's never sniffed the DL and shown no signs of slowing down, locked up for the next two years after this one at a more than reasonable rate? That's KW (and a little bit of Rick Hahn).

I know KW isn't perfect. He's made a few moves I wish he hadn't. But the hits more than compensate for the misses. I'm glad Mr. Kenny Williams is our GM.

it's a lame internet thing, but, +1

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
He's got a real nice arm. He's basically their version of Alexei Ramirez. He's just dumb out there.

What? Alexei has issues but plays at least a mediocre defense at a premium defensive position. Soriano plays god-awful in a weak defensive position. Alexei's defensive value var outweighs Soriano's, they aren't really even in the same league.

This doubleheader today is exactly what the Cubs potentially need to get momentum heading into the 2nd half of the season. Lohse looks like crap returning from the DL. It would be great for the Cards to find a way to split this day.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Yep, bringing in Wellemeyer in a one run game basically sealed the game for the Cubs. This is shaping up to be just a terrible day heading into the All-Star Break.

They have a whole game left with Wainright (sp?) starting for the Cards

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
They have a whole game left with Wainright (sp?) starting for the Cards

Yes, and Cy Wells is going for the Cubs. There's just a terrible vibe to the baseball games today, so it would shock me if the Cards win tonight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Yes, and Cy Wells is going for the Cubs. There's just a terrible vibe to the baseball games today, so it would shock me if the Cards win tonight.

The Cubs are a mediocre, .500 baseball team and will continue to be one the rest of the year. The only way they make the playoffs is if the other teams just collapse and fail even moreso than they already have, so I think you should be more concerned about the Cardinals and Brewers than the Cubs.